• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI:::Performer as a WHOLE PLAYER:::Pollock vs Akram

Pollock vs Akram

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

polly's odi batting was good but not something that would be absolutley vital for a team's cause.
Yeah agree. Its close but when things are very hard to decide its time for people to put their medals on the table. Wasim and the 92 WC swings it for me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Same.

On an unrelated note, I wonder whether the new rule about the 34th over ball-change would have had an impact on Wasim's career.
Depends how quickly they can get the ball scuffed.

Umar Gul managed to get decent reverse swing against New Zealand in last year's T20 World Cup, which would suggest that you don't need to be working on the ball for the full 50 overs to get it reversing.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
A hard comparison to make but i think Akram takes it for me for the sheer value that he brings in terms of variety in bowling and the ability to clean up the tail....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On Wasim's batting - Akram was tremendously talented as a batsman. He made 257 after all in the partnership with Mushtaq and hit the record for most sixes in that inning. I always thought he didn't pay enough attention to his batting. Else, he might have reaped great rewards.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Wasim will always make any ODI team I select. He was too good a bowler and given a choice between the two I will go for Wasim.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To pick any composite ODI side which allows for the selection of Pakistanis and SAfricans and does not feature Wasim and Pollock would IMO be plain insanity.

As a bowler I'd have Wasim - outstanding start-of-innings bowler, outstanding mid-innings bowler, outstanding death bowler. Whereas Pollock was an outstanding start-of-innings bowler, outstanding mid-innings bowler, and initially mediocre then later woeful death bowler (fortunately he had good-quality captains for near enough his entire career, who deliberately made sure he rarely bowled there).

As a batsman I'd have Pollock fairly comfortably. Neither ever had significant chance to make significant ODI impact, but the best I saw Wasim do was smash Andrew Symonds for a few sixes. I once saw Pollock hit James Franklin for five fours in an over.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Numbers wise Pollock is amazing, but it's hard to look past Akram for sheer impact... I rarely ever saw him taken apart by any batsman (like Jadeja's assault on Waqar in '96 WC, or Hayden's on Pollock in WC '07). As a batsman, I think he underachieved.

AaronK

State Regular
I personally will pick wasim in my all time ODI IX purely for his bowling.. not as an alrounder... again as a package Pollack is good.. voted for wasim though just purely as a bowler..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alan lamb and Chris Lewis happened right after the ball change.
Yeah, true. Fidel Edwards got the preconditioned ball reversing a mile against New Zealand in an ODI last year too. But that said, the overwhelming majority of the time it's got to be a bad thing for reverse swing bowlers.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I chose Pollock, nice bloke, better batsman (although towards the end of Wasim's career I might've doubted it) and probably A L O T behind Wasim as a bowler

Paynter pwns all:ph34r:

Himannv

International Coach
I'm probably a bit biased towards Akram as he's such a fantastic bowler, which is why I voted for him. No denying that Pollock was a better bat though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
akram was the greater one day player...pollock obviously a tremendous player as well...

Debris

International 12th Man
Akram.

One great talent trumps two good one's every time and Akram's bowling is the best talent between the two.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Akram. Pollock's batting numbers flatter him, and Wasim was more likely to win you a match with the ball than Pollock was with either ball or bat. Wasim would easily have been the better bowler had he bowled to a SA feilding side and Pollock to a Pakistani fielding side.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Akram. Pollock's batting numbers flatter him, and Wasim was more likely to win you a match with the ball than Pollock was with either ball or bat. Wasim would easily have been the better bowler had he bowled to a SA feilding side and Pollock to a Pakistani fielding side.
Pakistan has always been a woefull fielding unit but its back cordon was pretty good during W's time.Moin and Rashid were both very able in Rashid's case superb, Inzi and Azhar Mahmood shelled very few at 1st & 2nd slip

Last edited: