• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ U-19's in CWLand

Loony BoB

International Captain
Dizzy #4 said:
I'm stilly pretty shiity in OD tho! :P
You're right. I better talk to both Colts & U-19 selectors and get you dropped immediately... 8-) Scoring centuries and averaging over 50 this season just not good enough, apparently.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
All right, I'll be good, I never do get this chance, coz of all the egoness I cause............

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Just quietly.. apparently everyone gets their own choice of a 'naughty' movie channel in the hotel. Trav chose Lifestyle Food. Jasotharan chose the Biography channel. His Biography channel. Make of it what you will.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Robertinho said:
Just quietly.. apparently everyone gets their own choice of a 'naughty' movie channel in the hotel. Trav chose Lifestyle Food. Jasotharan chose the Biography channel. His Biography channel. Make of it what you will.
Heehee, you chose national geographic, didn't you? :P

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
going back to the debate....

I got the impression that those people who were in the full international side or in contention for it weren't going to be picked for the U-19s?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Check the last posts of the stickied thread in this forum and you'll find that question answered by Liam as follows...

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
2) All players who are 19 years of age as of the end of Season IX are eligible for selection to the Under-19 team once their selection does not clash with selection to the senior side. There will be some instances where U-19 players in the senior side will be allowed to play age level international cricket ahead of CW XI representation, if the CWBCC sees it to be more beneficial to the player to do so.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
going back to the debate....

I got the impression that those people who were in the full international side or in contention for it weren't going to be picked for the U-19s?
So you propose we send 2nd string sides on international tours. I know NZ's form hasn't been that good, losing to Nepal and everything, but we should respect them enough to send full strength sides. Also guys like Hancock will learn a lot more from playing with Cunningham, Wilson and Thompson then being the number one all rounder like he is for the Colts.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
kears_falcon_9 said:
And as for Under 19's not being selected because they are FC regulars. I agree with Marc, there isnt many in real life as REAL regulars but if they are im pretty sure they would play an 'important' game before any under 19 cricket unless it was a world cup.
Bangladesh? CWLand is a very young nation with a very small player pool.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's rubbish. Look at the recent U-19 WC. Plenty of the players were first class regulars, particularly from the sub-continent nations. Piyush Chawla had first class experience and was called up to the test side a week after the final. Henriques played for NSW in the ING Cup final just after the WC, and played for them before it as well.

Players who were international players would obviously not be called up to play U-19 cricket, but representative junior cricket certainly takes priority over dev league stuff.

So how come the likes of Flintoff, Ben Hollioake etc were left out of England home U19 games then?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So how come the likes of Flintoff, Ben Hollioake etc were left out of England home U19 games then?
Marc that more an odd occurence then common practise, majority of countries release their players from FC duty for U19 games. In Bangladesh and Zimbabwe all their players basically play FC cricket and they all get released. In Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan half the players if not more play FC cricket and also get released. Even in Australia Cameron White was a regular in the Victorian side before he got released to play for the the U19s in the World Cup.

But in saying all that some countries do fixture their U19 games so they don't clash with the domestic season and maybe that is something that the CWBCC and Under 19 Board can look at in the future. We just hope that seniors player and in particular captains, can start to back this tour a bit more and their players in it and we will look into the issued raised after the tour.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Marc that more an odd occurence then common practise, majority of countries release their players from FC duty for U19 games. In Bangladesh and Zimbabwe all their players basically play FC cricket and they all get released. In Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan half the players if not more play FC cricket and also get released. Even in Australia Cameron White was a regular in the Victorian side before he got released to play for the the U19s in the World Cup.
You see pretty much all of those instances are for the World Cup, not for meaningless tours in between.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
You see pretty much all of those instances are for the World Cup, not for meaningless tours in between.
You sure about that its every common that players from the sub-continent are taken away from domestic cricket to take part in so called 'meaningless' U19 tours.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Yeah, Its not uncommon for A tours to happen in the middle of a domestic season. Precedent is there, especially in the subcont.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
well it did happen last year, Stuard Broad and Steven Davies were removed from the squad to play for their counties

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Were they actually First Team regulars by that point though?

I know they were playing at the end of the season, but not sure if they were certain picks back in July.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Were they actually First Team regulars by that point though?

I know they were playing at the end of the season, but not sure if they were certain picks back in July.
nope, don't think they'd played more than a couple of games before that, as soon as the counties wanted them they left the squad.

I doubt there's ever been an instance, at least not recently, where a player has played for England U-19's when he's been wanted to play by his county