• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ U-19's in CWLand

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I can see why people are stepping down...

People need to understand U/19 cricket is not above Dev League Cricket... Dev League is the step below International and always will be...
Those who are close to International selection would get much more benefit out of playing Dev League cricket....

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
When selectors are picking representative teams at the end of the season, what are they going to look at first? The statistics from the Development League. I think the Reds would be much more beneficial than playing U/19 cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bobisback said:
I would like to ask why, i mean you have the privilage to play for the U/ 19's team, why would you step down? Sure its great you want to see Red's get up, but still representing your country should be what you're aiming for, maybe if you go well in this series you might get a birth in the CWXI.
Anyone going well in this series would prove absolutely nothing compared to Dev Cricket because it is a much lower standard.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
First of all, I'd like to apologise for my absence. I'm suprised, and honoured, to have been named captain of the CW U/19 side. I honestly hope that it was only "JP McNamara the CW Colt Player" who earned the captaincy, and not whatever is happening in the real world.

There is no greater honour than representing your country. Simply put, for some of us it will be the only time that we are lucky enough to play for CWLand in our whole careers. I'd appeal to all of the players to take this into account when making their decision. I know that in Australia, at least for the WC, that it will always take precedence over domestic cricket.

Simply put, we are pioneers here, and things like U/19 tours may become "off-season" in the future. But for now, I implore everyone still available to think about the opportunity you are passing up.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Of course it was JP Mcnamara the Colt player. Your not that good, like say for example, Alex Blackman is in real life.

Now theres a gun. ;)

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Dev League cricket is a better stepping stone to the CW XI? I think people are getting too far ahead of themselves. Apart from the people like Thamba and Bryce, most people in the squad have alot of work to do before they break into the CW XI (though if Wazza, Geggers and Hanky continue their form, I could be proved wrong :D), and this may be the only opportunity some people have to represent the CW XI at any level, so I dare say some people might regret it if they don't grasp any opportunity they're given firmly with two hands.

I'm also confident that the Red batting order can still dominate without Thamba and myself. :-O

EDIT: Gah, Jacko beat me to it.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Well, as a selector I can honestly say i've had mixed emotions over how people have responded to the U/19 squad.
It's good to see most people are indeed keen for its goahead.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd hope that future selections are made with picking the best team in mind, and not worrying about a World Cup that most players probably won't qualify for.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
new_age_ar said:
I would lile to say that im differently going to play for the Under 19, i think it is a joke that our captain are even asking asking not to represent our country just cus they want us to play domestic games. It is an absolute disgrace.
Each to their own, I'm only raising a valid question to you 3, not telling you to stand down.

Thanks for letting me know, it helps for the team planning.

Best of luck Rob and Thamba.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loony BoB said:
I strongly urge ALL U-19 players, even those not currently selected, to state whether they would be happy to be in contention for a position on U-19 tours, stating specifically whether or not they would be happy to participate in on-season U-19 tours and whether or not they would be happy to participate in off-season U-19 tours.
I'd definetely be up for it. If Garven is against me going though, then I'm not sure, since Greens could do with a few wins (not that I'd be helping much for that, anyway).

Loony BoB

International Captain
U-19 Tour of New Zealand Delayed

The U-19 tour of New Zealand by CWLand has been delayed, it was announced today by U-19 panel member Daniel Towns. He advised that this was primarily to give players time to think about their positions after various players pulled out of the tour under pressure from Dev League captains to play for their domestic side rather than represent their country.

"While I respect each and every player's decision on whether they would rather represent CWLand or their Dev League side, I am disgusted at the pressure being placed on the youth of this country not to reprsent CWLand. It really does make one question just where a player's allegiances are meant to lie - country, or domestic side. I'm surprised anyone would really question such a thing." Towns said this morning.

However, Towns was more than eager to look on the bright side of life. "While not many players have responded to us after these instances arose - hence the delay of the tour - I am delighted with the strong showing of players, including captaincy team Jack [McNamara] and Mike [Wilson], as well as leading runscorers and prolific wickettakers in the shape of Dauth, Jaso, Thomas and Mamesh. It just shows the desire that these guys have to represent their country." Towns went on to point out that other players are lining up for the chance to join them.

There has been much controversy recently regarding players preferring domestic games to representing their nation. Neil Pickup, the main source of words against the U-19 tour, was not included in the ODI side which faced the West Indies, stating he was "rested". Neil Pickup went on to play games for his FC side during this rest. More notably and probably most famously, though, CW Red captain Dave Watt chose to play for Western Australia rather than CWLand during the off-season due to differences of opinion over CWXI coach Pratyush Agarwal.

NZ Cricket has agreed to the raincheck, stating that they hope for CWLand to field the strongest possible side when they arrive in New Zealand. The two cricket boards are in talks regarding a possible reschedule to what would coincide with round three of the CW Dev League.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I hope to have more responses from other players shortly, I'll try to find the time to dig up everyone's emails etc. as well. If you guys see anyone on MSN that is in the squad and hasn't stated they'll be available, please feel free to tap them on the shoulder. :D

cricketboy29

International Regular
I just love Cricket Web, always something happening. Tough decision to make though, I'd have to say, especially if your a regular in one squad or the other, or evn both.