• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Noted Class Act Jimmy Anderson Knocks Arrogant Michael Clarke Into Place

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not a pad!!!
Does rather raise the question of what Martyn would've said had it been a bat on the floor that Anderson fancied wrapping round Clarke's head.

No real surprise that Damian "I'm the David Beckham of Australian cricket" Martyn wasn't a popular character amongst his team mates tho. Always admired his play, but did rather come across as a chap who wished he could swap places with his wife so he could love himself even more.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When all the interesting bits of these books wind up in the papers and the rest is ignored it's hard to see why someone would go out and buy them.

Anderson should sue.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I speak for most Englishmen when I say good on ya Jimmeh.

Watto or Punter would have been better targets though:D

Spark

Global Moderator
Find it odd that Martyn is being portrayed as the disliked guy in the dressing room. Goes counter to basically everything else I've ever read about the Aus dressing room at that time from numerous sources, who I'd probably say knew more about how the Aus dressing room worked than Jimmy Anderson. It's also common knowledge that Martyn was in a seriously bad headspace at that time.

Kind of makes one suspect that Anderson is completely talking out of his backside, tbh.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, Martyn was really close to Ponting, for one. Don't really agree with Brumby's post either. He doesn't really seem like that at all to me

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim Zoerher's autobio, if that's a credible source, mentions Marto as a difficult personality, nice enough most of the time but prone to occasional extreme nastiness if in a bad mood. Zoerher's no monk but if a team-mate insults your wife like Marto reportedly did, it's going to get a reaction from most blokes.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah, that's well known (he was in a bad mood at that time, as I mentioned). It's just this "Martyn was unpopular" idea that I find hard to believe. He was quite close to many of the 'core' members of the team, IIRC (Hayden/Langer/Ponting/Gilchrist/Warne/McG), especially Ponting and Hayden (I think. Or was it Gilchrist?)

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Anderson actually did this then fair enough, hardly a classy act but hey, Clarke might have been a bit of a c*cky c**t at the time, I'm sure there's some on here could tell us whether that's accurate.

On a more serious point, like him or loathe him, Sir Geoffrey is right in one thing he says. Cricketers (all sportsmen in fact) should wait until they are retired, preferably a couple of years, before releasing an autobiography. There's a couple of reasons for this and the fact that you are telling tales on those you have to play with/against is one. If this is accurate then no-one comes out of it well.

burr

State Vice-Captain
This guy has so little self-awareness. He really is a complete ****.

And I'm sorry, but stating Martyn was not close to anyone in the Australian dressing room - as though he is an authority on the Australian dressing room - is complete rubbish. It's well known Martyn was extremely close to the Australian captain at the time - Ricky Ponting, along with Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist and Warne. He was also documented in articles as being good friends with Michael Clarke, so I find this story extremely strange, although I guess Martyn could have seen it as a bit of a joke - hitting someone with a pad is hardly life-threatening stuff.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That isn't a very nice way to say you're sorry.

You have to say it like you mean it or it doesn't count.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tim Zoerher's autobio, if that's a credible source, mentions Marto as a difficult personality, nice enough most of the time but prone to occasional extreme nastiness if in a bad mood. Zoerher's no monk but if a team-mate insults your wife like Marto reportedly did, it's going to get a reaction from most blokes.
Always thought I was slightly better up at the stumps....

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"We displayed complete disdain for the trust that had been placed in us, and such was our lack of self-respect that we sneaked into fast-food joint Hungry Jack's, Australia's Burger King, for breakfast before nabbing an hour's sleep. Hardly an ideal diet for an international sportsman, let alone one that was required on the bus for practice at 9 o'clock that morning."

Hitting Clarke with a pad and eating fast-food? What a rebel.
Jimmy Anderson wears a pad?? Picked him as more of a tampon man myself.