• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nice Running, ****!

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the help of the latest Wisden (see page 318), I have assembled this list of *potentially* the worst runners to play a reasonable amount of Test cricket.

Wisden provided the total run-outs that each player was involved in and then split them in to run-outs where the player themself was dismissed and those where their batting partner was dismissed.

I have then added Shane Watson for the sake of my own curiosity - though he clearly deserves to be in the mix.

I've then added # of innings to allow calculation of run-outs per innings - to show how likely said batsman was to be involved in some running calamity or other.

Code:
Name			ROs	Self 	Partner Partner %	Innings	RO/inn
Asif Iqbal		13	2	11	84.6%		99	0.131
Warwick Armstrong	11	2	9	81.8%		84	0.131
Simon Katich		12	2	10	83.3%		99	0.121
Steve Waugh		27	4	23	85.2%		260	0.104
Andy Flower		11	2	9	81.8%		112	0.098
Doug Walters		12	3	9	75.0%		125	0.096
Shane Watson		8	2	6	75.0%		85	0.094
Shiv Chanderpaul	23	3	20	87.0%		251	0.092
Sourav Ganguly		17	4	13	76.5%		188	0.090
Viv Richards		16	4	12	75.0%		182	0.088
Aravinda de Silva	12	3	9	75.0%		159	0.075
Ian Botham		12	3	9	75.0%		161	0.075
Richie Richardson	10	2	8	80.0%		146	0.068
Brian Lara		12	3	9	75.0%		232	0.052
Shane Watson and Simon Katich - what a combo.

EDIT: For information, here's the matches were Watson was involved in a run-out of his batting partner. The stats ignore whether the run-out was blatantly the named batsman's fault or not:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/345672.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/464526.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/428752.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/406199.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/428750.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/540176.html

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Unscientifically from what I've seen and by repute I'd also have Boycott, Clarke and Nasser up/down there in the shyte runner stakes.

Be interested to see how they stack up.

HeathDavisSpeed

Very good. How about Inzi?
Well, the Wisden article contained all batsmen involved in 10 or more run outs. I added Watson out of curiosity - so, given Inzy's high number of innings and even assuming the maximum of 9 run outs, his ratio would be at worst 0.045 run-outs per innings and would be below Lara.

HeathDavisSpeed

Unscientifically from what I've seen and by repute I'd also have Boycott, Clarke and Nasser up/down there in the shyte runner stakes.

Be interested to see how they stack up.
Looking up Watson's run outs, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey and Hughes all seemed to pop up with some regularity.

However, they must all of been involved in less than 10 and I suspect only Hughes with his low number of innings could compete for a place on this list.

Pothas

Sky always make the Nasser joke but looks like Beefy was even worse, one of them was for the greater good of course.

HeathDavisSpeed

Actually, I tell a lie - Wisden only included 13 out of 86 batsmen involved in 10 or more run-outs and focused more on those who have been involved in running their batting partner out - so Inzy could still find a place in this list.

With statsguru on Cricinfo, it doesn't take long to work out. Took about 10 minutes for Watson.

Search on matches involving Shane Watson where a run out was involved and then just clicked through the scorecards.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Well, the Wisden article contained all batsmen involved in 10 or more run outs. I added Watson out of curiosity - so, given Inzy's high number of innings and even assuming the maximum of 9 run outs, his ratio would be at worst 0.045 run-outs per innings and would be below Lara.
Yeah I think Inzi was notoriously bad at running in limited overs, though I wouldn't be surprised to see that he wasn't as bad as we thought in general.

HeathDavisSpeed

The article in Wisden was by a Benedict Bermange. I wonder if the easiest way to approach this would be to ask him for the list of all 86 batsmen involved in 10 or more run outs and go from there, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel. It'd certainly save a lot of Cricinfo bashing.

EDIT: And apparently he's on Twitter if anyone uses that and could ask him for the data?

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about Graeme Wood and Rick Darling? Was a laugh a minute when those two batted together.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
An all time **** runners XI would have to haveWatson and Nasser in it.

Gooing to be honest I didn't realise Katich was that poor a runner. Probably Watson's fault.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I absolutely love that all the worst runners in history ran out their partners rather than themselves > 75% of the time.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A lot of very senior or indeed great batsmen in that list too - the types that might think:

Oh we're in some trouble in this run. No, this doesn't look good.
Now let's not get bogged down in who is at fault or anything; we need to do what's best for the team. And yeah, I guess I am the more important batsman after all. That's what it's all about after all.
Therefore it is right and good for me to ground me bat *here*, turn away from you and make a stop sign with my hand.
And you, my junior partner, can just deal with it.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
What about Graeme Wood and Rick Darling? Was a laugh a minute when those two batted together.
I gotta upload THAT match, Adelaide 1984/85, man that funny. Adelaide crowd giving Wood EVERYTHING for being a **** and running out McCurdy in particular.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, I tell a lie - Wisden only included 13 out of 86 batsmen involved in 10 or more run-outs and focused more on those who have been involved in running their batting partner out - so Inzy could still find a place in this list.

With statsguru on Cricinfo, it doesn't take long to work out. Took about 10 minutes for Watson.

Search on matches involving Shane Watson where a run out was involved and then just clicked through the scorecards.
Sounds easy enough. I might give it a go for Adam Parore a bit later on - always got the impression he belonged in this illustrious group.