• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand cricket announces contracted list for 10/11

Howsie

International Captain
New Zealand Cricket - New Zealand Cricket announced contracted players for 2010-11

Brent Arnel
Grant Elliott
Martin Guptill
Gareth Hopkins
Chris Martin
Brendon McCullum
Nathan McCullum
Tim McIntosh
Andy McKay
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Jeetan Patel
Jesse Ryder
Tim Southee
Scott Styris
Ross Taylor
Daryl Tuffey
Daniel Vettori
B.J. Watling
Kane Williamson

Predictable list it must be said, although sadly this might mean that the chances of actually seeing Neil Broom play test cricket (anytime soon) are slim.

Jezroy

State Captain
New Zealand Cricket - New Zealand Cricket announced contracted players for 2010-11

Brent Arnel
Grant Elliott
Martin Guptill
Gareth Hopkins
Chris Martin
Brendon McCullum
Nathan McCullum
Tim McIntosh
Andy McKay
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Jeetan Patel
Jesse Ryder
Tim Southee
Scott Styris
Ross Taylor
Daryl Tuffey
Daniel Vettori
B.J. Watling
Kane Williamson

Predictable list it must be said, although sadly this might mean that the chances of actually seeing Neil Broom play test cricket (anytime soon) are slim.
Fairly predictable. Always a tough ask saying who will be the most valuable cricketers from right now for the next 12 months.

Bit disappointed that Martin is there, but can't think who they could have had there apart from Franklin.

Howsie

International Captain
Tough on Franklin but it confirms that he is Sinclair mk II
Franklin's been given plenty of chances in the past 12 months to cement himself in both the 20/20 and one day team and he spectacularly failed. He was no chance of picking up a contract this year and rightly so.

Days of Grace

International Captain
So do you think they will pick the first test team from that lot.

How about Sinclair, who I guess is the incumbent no.3?

Howsie

International Captain
So do you think they will pick the first test team from that lot.

How about Sinclair, who I guess is the incumbent no.3?
You would assume so, if Sinclair was in the selectors plans (even just for this year) then surely he would have been given a contract.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You would assume so, if Sinclair was in the selectors plans (even just for this year) then surely he would have been given a contract.
Hmm dunno; he'd only be in the Test plans and probably only as first reserve top order batsman now that another keeper has to play. I think he's still that.

Jezroy

State Captain
No, not even close. And he's rubbish.
Bit harsh - if he's rubbish then someone like Brad Scott must be a junk yard. Bet you if he wasn't busy qualifying for NZ, he would have played for us by now. Though, what that says, I'm not sure.

And he's not as fast as Bond. Don't think anyone in the country is. Apparently McKay was 2nd fastest to him last year.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
Highly unlikely on the subcontinent, I would have thought.
I would give them as good a chance to win it there as anywhere else - except at home.

Still expect them to be proud semi finalists though. Again.

Flem274*

123/5
All right list I guess. Martin must be inches from retirement though. He's really gone downhill.

Good to see they're keeping Arnel, not just giving him a one off wtf contract.

I guess it proves they're choosing Hopkins for the gloves over Young, McGlashan and van Wyk.

EDIT: Oram another who must have been a close call surely. I suppose his past form gets him in.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
No major surprises on that list although I thought Ian Butler might've been a better chance at a spot that someone like Andy McKay. Predictable however that Franklin, Broom and Flynn have all dropped off the contracted list.

Howsie

International Captain
Anyone catch the Mark Greatbatch interview on Radio Sport this afternoon? Apparently he and the rest of the gang that decide upon the contract list rate ODI's and 20/20's on the same level, with test cricket just a little bit higher. Scary that a player who might only play a couple of limited overs games here and there might actually be rated higher then say a Tim McIntosh, although I assume the process is a little bit more complex then just rating players as one's, two's, three's and four's.

Howsie

International Captain
Bit harsh - if he's rubbish then someone like Brad Scott must be a junk yard. Bet you if he wasn't busy qualifying for NZ, he would have played for us by now. Though, what that says, I'm not sure.

And he's not as fast as Bond. Don't think anyone in the country is. Apparently McKay was 2nd fastest to him last year.
He would have played for New Zealand by now I agree, but not because he deserved it so to speak. His overall record looks nice and impressive but when you actually do a litlle digging you'll find it's not really what it seems.

He has potential but right now he's just far too loose for someone of his pace.

Jezroy

State Captain
He would have played for New Zealand by now I agree, but not because he deserved it so to speak. His overall record looks nice and impressive but when you actually do a litlle digging you'll find it's not really what it seems.

He has potential but right now he's just far too loose for someone of his pace.
I agree that he has work to do - but your earlier call that he was rubbish was a bit too far IMO. If he is rubbish, then probably so are most of the bowlers that play for us. Hopefully when he does qualify to play for us he will be more of the finished article. It must take quite a bit of personal motivation to keep up performance for 4 years while you qualify for a certain country - knowing that if it wasn't for the fact you had to wait you could have been in the team already.

I reckon all the Irish players should have to wait 4 years to play for ENG, but not the other way round...

Jezroy

State Captain
Also really looks like Martin is really in the running for the test team. Probably not such an issue in Bangladesh, but I think the guy is going to get DESTROYED in India. And with Ryder injured again, he may not be going to the SL Tri Series - maybe he won't play the tests either. Would make it easier to pick McCullum as a batsman...