• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand cricket announces contracted list for 10/11

Jezroy

State Captain
Just checked the stats of the Maharashtra team. VERY inexperienced by the looks - more like a development side. NZ should have cleaned them up.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely it's got to be Shanan Stewart who get's the call up, one of the best players of spin New Zealand have and he's probably the best finisher going around (on form) that we have.
I thought he looked out of his depth in the ODIs last summer. But it's probably not fair to write him off completely. Maybe he can make the step up.

Jezroy

State Captain
I thought he looked out of his depth in the ODIs last summer. But it's probably not fair to write him off completely. Maybe he can make the step up.
That's all we've got with a lot of our team at the moment. Only proven test players are Taylor, Vettori, and Ryder (when fit) really. McCullum unproven as he is now going to bat top order. Things a lot rosier in the short form but really a lot for our team to prove.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, two ODIs of which he only faced 16 balls is hopefully (and you never know with these selectors currently) too early to put him in the "never again" bracket.

Howsie

International Captain
Just checked the stats of the Maharashtra team. VERY inexperienced by the looks - more like a development side. NZ should have cleaned them up.
Does anyone know what the conditions are like up in Darwin at this time of the year?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
During the HRV cup I watched Shannan Stewart get out in an annoying fashion. The batsman at the other end was going great guns. Stewart was on like 5 and instead of batting for his partner he tried to hit a boundary and got caught.

I also remember him being overawed during his international opportunities last year.

I hope he comes good he would slot in nicely at number 6 in the line up.

Zinzan

Franklin's been given plenty of chances in the past 12 months to cement himself in both the 20/20 and one day team and he spectacularly failed. He was no chance of picking up a contract this year and rightly so.
Agree with that, presumably you have the same view on Broom missing out on a contract too yeah?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Broom didn't even get a chance to play test cricket, so no I don't.
Well yeah but at best Broom is first reserve Test middle order bat behind Taylor, Ryder and Williamson, and I don't think there's a case for him to be any better than that. He shouldn't be in the frame for limited overs cricket at all.. so I don't think he should've been getting a contract either. First reserve in a niche position in one format isn't enough.

Howsie

International Captain
Well yeah but at best Broom is first reserve Test middle order bat behind Taylor, Ryder and Williamson, and I don't think there's a case for him to be any better than that. He shouldn't be in the frame for limited overs cricket at all.. so I don't think he should've been getting a contract either. First reserve in a niche position in one format isn't enough.
Yeah I'm fully aware of that and agree that he shouldn't get a contract being a test reserve (perhaps). But that he lost his contract without even getting a shot when New Zealand had to turn to the likes of Martin Guptill to bat in the top five really bugs me. How was he suppose to earn another contract if the New Zealand selectors weren't going to even give him a chance to do so?

Zinzan

Yeah I'm fully aware of that and agree that he shouldn't get a contract being a test reserve (perhaps). But that he lost his contract without even getting a shot when New Zealand had to turn to the likes of Martin Guptill to bat in the top five really bugs me. How was he suppose to earn another contract if the New Zealand selectors weren't going to even give him a chance to do so?
To be fair on the selectors, I think you'll find it was the technical deficiencies Broom displayed in the limited overs games that ultimately cost him Test selection, this despite his half-decent FC record. Certainly strikes me as one of those players who can't quite make the step up to International level and whilst it won't be crystal clear until he plays a few Test, I certainly don't blame the selectors for resisting thus far.

As I've mentioned before, it's his propensity to get out LBW or bowled to perfectly straight deliveries even when trying to defend that concerns me.

Howsie

International Captain
To be fair on the selectors, I think you'll find it was the technical deficiencies Broom displayed in the limited overs games that ultimately cost him Test selection, this despite his half-decent FC record. Certainly strikes me as one of those players who can't quite make the step up to International level and whilst it won't be crystal clear until he plays a few Test, I certainly don't blame the selectors for resisting thus far.

As I've mentioned before, it's his propensity to get out LBW or bowled to perfectly straight deliveries even when trying to defend that concerns me.
Perhaps, but you'd hope the selectors would take into account his FC record and what he's done for the New Zealand A team in the past instead of just binning him forever based on 20 ODI games (espeically considering he was all over the place during that time also).

Zinzan

Perhaps, but you'd hope the selectors would take into account his FC record and what he's done for the New Zealand A team in the past instead of just binning him forever based on 20 ODI games (espeically considering he was all over the place during that time also).
I stand to be corrected, but was really he all over the place? Generally batting 5 or 6 didn't he ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I'd be inclined to agree if he actually had a good List A record to go with his First Class record, but he doesn't. He never should've been picked for ODIs in the first place the fact that he had no idea what he was doing when he was eventually picked shouldn't have been a surprise or any detraction from his Test chances.

Howsie

International Captain
He batted at six 12 times, seven 6 times, five twice and once each at three and four. Hardly stable imo.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be inclined to agree if he actually had a good List A record to go with his First Class record, but he doesn't. He never should've been picked for ODIs in the first place the fact that he had no idea what he was doing when he was eventually picked shouldn't have been a surprise or any detraction from his Test chances.
It ain't that bad an average. FC avg 41.78 List A 32.11

If he had've averaged 32 in his ODI career he would still be in the team. Instead he averaged 17.52. 15 runs lower than his List A average.

The information seems to suggest that he would do better in Tests than ODIs - but how much better. He averaged 10 runs higher in FC cricket than List A cricket. So perhaps he would average 10 runs higher in test cricket than ODIs. An average of 27.52 would be weak.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Does this same man love for Broom follow through to Ingram???

Ingram has averaged over 60 for the last 4 years of first class cricket then got dumped after only 2 tests in which he was run out by MacIntosh twice

Face it Howsie how you perform in domestic cricket in NZ means nothing about how you are going to play at the next level.....as crude as it sounds but its a guess for the selectors i think

examples to back up my point - Sinclair, Cumming, How, Jones, Bell, Papps, Broom, Stewart, Ingram all domestic stars and international failures

Flem274*

123/5
Jones and Stewart? Wtf am I missing here? They played about 2 minutes between them. Three minutes if you add Ingram to their tally.

Cumming, Papps, Bell and How are not domestic stars. Go look at the records. they're pretty average. Not one averages over 40.

Sinclair and Fulton are the surprising disappointments.