• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand All Time Team - Open Voting

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
2nd XI:

Mark Richardson
Bert Sutcliffe
John F Reid
Ross Taylor
Stephen Fleming (capt)
John R Reid
Jacob Oram
Bruce Taylor
Ian Smith (wk)
John Bracewell
Richard Collinge

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Would go with Sutcliffe, Fleming and Reid.

With that being said, again easy wins here and on this ocasion for Bert Sutcliffe, Martin Donnelly and John R. Reid with enough support for Stephen Fleming and Chris Cairns to at least guarantee them a spot in the 13.

Team thus far

01. Glenn Turner
02. Stewie Dempster
03. Bert Sutcliffe
04. Martin Crowe
05. Martin Donnelly
06. John R. Reid
08. Richard Hadlee
10. Shane Bond
11. Jack Cowie

We will now set our sights on the keeping slot. Kindly choose one of the following or any of your own choosing.

Ken James | Brendon McCullum | Adam Parore | Ian Smith | Ken Wadsworth

Now for the most interesting slot on the team. As promised, it owuld be totally open. Kindly choose any bowler of your choosing for the fourth bowler and final spot on the team.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can you put another 'e' on Hadle please?

I'm going for Chris Cairns and Ian Smith in this one narrowly ahead of Vettori and McCullum.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum for the keeper's spot. This team needs all the batting it can get, and McCullum was an excellent keeper when he did the job full time. His only failing was that he sometimes had a habit of diving for catches that were heading straight for first slip.

Smith may have had a slight edge over him in terms of keeping capabilities, but McCullum's batting wins the day for me.

Cairns for the final bowlers spot. His slower ball turned more than Vettori's stock delivery anyway. Consequently Hadlee is nudged down to number 9 in the batting order.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cairns
McCullum

This team needs the batting depth, and JR Reid means Vettori is surplus to requirements.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking best of the excludeds and leave it there.
eg

Sutcliffe
Mitchell
Ponting
Weekes
Harvey
Worrell
Ames
Davidson
Lindwall
Verity
Roberts

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Cairns and McCullum. Now..... Zimbabwe?
Andy Flower
Andy Flower
Andy Flower (C)
Andy Flower
Andy Flower
Andy Flower (WK)
Grant Flower
Heath Streak
Heath Streak
Heath Streak
Heath Streak

Nah but seriously I'd be interested to see what other decent players have flown under the radar for them

watson

Banned
I appreciate that the team needs extra batting depth so will probably choose McCullum. But I'm not sure that is sufficient reason to choose Cairns over Vettori as Vettori scored pretty heavily in the latter half of his career.

Is there really a justifiable difference between the batting skills of Cairns and Vettori? Not an expert on NZ cricket, so just asking the question.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I appreciate that the team needs extra batting depth so will probably choose McCullum. But I'm not sure that is sufficient reason to choose Cairns over Vettori as Vettori scored pretty heavily in the latter half of his career.

Is there really a justifiable difference between the batting skills of Cairns and Vettori? Not an expert on NZ cricket, so just asking the question.
The position is for a bowler, and Cairns was a much better bowler than Vettori. Battingwise, Cairns was obviously more gifted and played some of the best innings I've ever seen by a New Zealander, but I'd probably prefer to see Vettori coming in to bat at 100/6.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah a NZ No. 8 is scratching the charred surface off burnt toast more often than not, it's very much a woe expectation role.

A No. 6 we expect to heroically launch the burning toast into the air, to give the No. 8 a chance.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The position is for a bowler, and Cairns was a much better bowler than Vettori. Battingwise, Cairns was obviously more gifted and played some of the best innings I've ever seen by a New Zealander, but I'd probably prefer to see Vettori coming in to bat at 100/6.
Does anyone have a breakdown on how many of Reid's wickets were via spin? If its a reasonable amount, I wouldn't even bother with Vettori in Test Cricket.

Not that its really relevant to this discussion, but Cairns played one of the best one day innings I've ever seen live in this match

BeeGee

International Captain
McCullum
Cairns

Smith was a better pure keeper, but not by enough to outweigh McCullum's superior batting.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah I'd be keen for that. It's interesting looking back at some of the random guns that have played for Zimbabwe in particular.

In this one:

McCullum
Cairns

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Without checking, you're probably right that Vettori's later numbers with the bat are better than Cairns'. But I agree with everyone here selecting Cairns instead.

In general both started as bowlers and their bowling effectiveness decreased as their batting improved. However I think there was more of an overlap of good batting and good bowling for Cairns (around what, 1999-2001?) than for Vettori, who's never had a period where he's been a particularly good bowler and batsman at the same time. So Cairns at his peak >> Vettori at his peak, and I guess for an All-Time team you assume the players are at their peak.