• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand 30 man World Cup Squad.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe this witness, who appears to have massively exaggerated what took place, bet against Southee being NZ's top wicket-taker in the tournament. Scandalous.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Judging from other things I've heard about NZ's angry young seamer, it was no surprise to hear his name pop up. He's had a good "run" since he made the team, and he was clearly trying to nudge another single down to fine leg.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe this witness, who appears to have massively exaggerated what took place, bet against Southee being NZ's top wicket-taker in the tournament. Scandalous.
Or top scorer? I wonder what the TAB's offering for that.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's disturbingly possible, actually. A couple of entertaining and inconsequential 50s in lost causes and he could be right up there.

Howsie

International Captain
41 wickets @ 25. Hamish Bennett's one day bowling record in seasons where he bowled more then 100 deliveries

05/06 - 0 wickets (8.4 overs)
06/07 - 7 wickets @ 44
07/08 - 16 wickets @ 22
08/09 - 0 wickets (9 overs)
09/10 - 1 wicket @ 119 (16 overs)
10/11 - 18 wickets @ 22

I suppose like most bowlers staying injury free and getting consistant game time is the key with Bennett's bowling.

Flem274*

123/5
41 wickets @ 25. Hamish Bennett's one day bowling record in seasons where he bowled more then 100 deliveries

05/06 - 0 wickets (8.4 overs)
06/07 - 7 wickets @ 44
07/08 - 16 wickets @ 22
08/09 - 0 wickets (9 overs)
09/10 - 1 wicket @ 119 (16 overs)
10/11 - 18 wickets @ 22

I suppose like most bowlers staying injury free and getting consistant game time is the key with Bennett's bowling.
What happens when you remove his ODIs from the equation? The economy rate would probably drop a bit. How many matches did he take to get those 41 wickets and what is his strike rate and economy rate?

I cbf working it out.:p

Howsie

International Captain
What happens when you remove his ODIs from the equation? The economy rate would probably drop a bit. How many matches did he take to get those 41 wickets and what is his strike rate and economy rate?

I cbf working it out.:p
Removing his ODI performances leaves Bennett with 7 wickets @ 24 during the 10/11 season. To take the 41 wickets it took 25 games, striking at 25 with an economy rate of 5.47

After his performance in the ODI series against Pakistan I've got Bennett in my starting XI, whether or not his style of bowling will be effective on the slower decks of the subcontinent I'm not sure, but he's done enough imo.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Removing his ODI performances leaves Bennett with 7 wickets @ 24 during the 10/11 season. To take the 41 wickets it took 25 games, striking at 25 with an economy rate of 5.47

After his performance in the ODI series against Pakistan I've got Bennett in my starting XI, whether or not his style of bowling will be effective on the slower decks of the subcontinent I'm not sure, but he's done enough imo.
Our core bowling attack

Mills- One of the best ODI bowlers of the 2000s. Needs to continue on from last ODI though because he has been in dire form of late.

Southee- Looked to have improved particularly in the fitness area with extra aggression/intent shown for a longer period. Had a great start to the series but had one bad performance.

Bennett- charged in hard every delivery and looked like a legit wicket taker. Also had one bad performance but came back strong in the last game with career best figures.

Vettori- Not in great form it has to be said. If he can be the number one ODI bowler like he has been in the past it could be the difference between us failing at this work cup and progressing to the later stages.

N McCullum- Showed what he can do with both bat and ball and is fast becoming a reliable player in an inconsistent team.

I have seen worse tbh.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Judging from other things I've heard about NZ's angry young seamer, it was no surprise to hear his name pop up. He's had a good "run" since he made the team, and he was clearly trying to nudge another single down to fine leg.
Saw him a fair bit in the VIP area at Rhythm and Vines and came across just like he did on the field - pre his aggression tendancies. Maybe it's Donalds fault this guy has turned into a horn dog.

Mind you the media are ****ing irresponsible reporting without knowing all the facts - surprise surprise.

bryce

International Regular
Our core bowling attack

Mills- One of the best ODI bowlers of the 2000s. Needs to continue on from last ODI though because he has been in dire form of late.

Southee- Looked to have improved particularly in the fitness area with extra aggression/intent shown for a longer period. Had a great start to the series but had one bad performance.

Bennett- charged in hard every delivery and looked like a legit wicket taker. Also had one bad performance but came back strong in the last game with career best figures.

Vettori- Not in great form it has to be said. If he can be the number one ODI bowler like he has been in the past it could be the difference between us failing at this work cup and progressing to the later stages.

N McCullum- Showed what he can do with both bat and ball and is fast becoming a reliable player in an inconsistent team.

I have seen worse tbh.
Man I really want Williamson in the middle order though just it's awful hard to fit him in

Mike5181

International Captain
Don't worry about Williamson. He will have his time after the world cup. We will likely see a couple of players retire and spaces will free up. I would play him at number four and move Taylor down to five unless Taylor gets drop for a while. He has looked so miserable for some time now. Our bowling attack is looking nearly as impotent as it was last time we were here.

I wish Shane Bond and Iain O'Brien came back. Imagine a bowling line up of

Shane Bond
Iain O'Brien
Kyle Mills
Daniel Vettori

But what we will actually have in the future

Neil Wagner
Adam Milne
Tim Southee
Hamish Bennett

Meanwhile, my optimism for the Black caps is steadily declining with every game we play. The final nail in the coffin would be if we lost to Kenya. Then i would forget cricket and go and be one of Sonny Bill Williams fan boys like the rest of the New Zealanders.

1000th post Booyah

Flem274*

123/5
Don't worry about Williamson. He will have his time after the world cup. We will likely see a couple of players retire and spaces will free up. I would play him at number four and move Taylor down to five unless Taylor gets drop for a while. He has looked so miserable for some time now. Our bowling attack is looking nearly as impotent as it was last time we were here.

I wish Shane Bond and Iain O'Brien came back. Imagine a bowling line up of

Shane Bond
Iain O'Brien
Kyle Mills
Daniel Vettori

But what we will actually have in the future

Neil Wagner
Adam Milne
Tim Southee
Hamish Bennett

Meanwhile, my optimism for the Black caps is steadily declining with every game we play. The final nail in the coffin would be if we lost to Kenya. Then i would forget cricket and go and be one of Sonny Bill Williams fan boys like the rest of the New Zealanders.

1000th post Booyah
I agree, it's crazy how low we've dropped. Two years ago I thought we were going to have a powerful side come 2011, something like:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Styris
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Bond
O'Brien/Southee

A few years ago that team would have been right up there. Now half those players are miles from what they were.

So ****.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It is quite confounding how this team, the core of which are all good players (based on their past performances for NZ), can perform so badly for so long. It's like they never quite got out of bed at the start of this season and have just sleepwalked through the remainder, hoping that they'll wake up tomorrow and find it's all a bad dream.

Sure, there have been a few passengers in the team this season (Hopkins, How), but we've always had a few of those even through the good times. In fact having 8 or 9 proven good quality players available at one time, as we do now, is a luxury that any NZ fan would have grabbed with both hands and all our teeth if given half a chance.

This team needs a serious 'belief' injection some time in the next couple of weeks before the quarter finals start. Not sure where it might come from and not sure if Vettori is capable of it. Perhaps a new practice regime involving a force-fed diet of replays of ODI victories from the last 3 or 4 years. "Hey Ross, look at this" "Is that me? Hey look at the way I hit that cover drive! That was quite good wasn't it. Hey Martin you're looking quite good too." "Wow, look at that, I hit the ball where there wasn't a fielder and you and I both ran to each others' ends. Maybe we should try that next match some time." "Good idea. Yeah, hey didn't think of that. Maybe this batting thing isn't so hard."

*end fantasy*