• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q17. Longest period at the crease without adding to one's score?....NO
Q18. Longest inngs in term of time or balls taken with out scoring a run ???....NO

Another Hint : I once took five for's in either innings of a Lord's Test.

stumpski

International Captain
SJS, I think it was a bit cheeky to treat 17 and 18 as separate questions - but it's your game. ;)

Looking at English off-spinners who've taken 10 wickets in a Lord's Test (up to 1977) the only one I can see is Roy Tattersall (actually a seven and five). Is it something to do with him?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS, I think it was a bit cheeky to treat 17 and 18 as separate questions - but it's your game. ;)

Looking at English off-spinners who've taken 10 wickets in a Lord's Test (up to 1977) the only one I can see is Roy Tattersall (actually a seven and five). Is it something to do with him?
Okay we will grant your point regarding both issues.

Q18.Is it something to do with Roy Tattersall?....YES:)

stumpski

International Captain
OK, well this is interesting - it's a batting record, first-class, and it concerns the Lancs and England off-spinner Roy Tattersall. He wasn't much of a batsman, averaging under 10 and usually going in at 11, but he did make just over 2000 runs in his career, in 369 innings. Is that it, most innings required for 2000 f-c runs?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You may both be right! Bloody impressive examples of lateral thinking ................... or is it just experience?

stumpski

International Captain
That '10 wickets at Lord's' was a big clue tbh. Only a handful of English bowlers have done it, amd most of them either left-armers (e.g. Verity) or medium-to-quicks (Barnes, Bedser). My records book only goes up to '77, but I was pretty sure no offie had done it since. So then it was just a case of looking up Tattersall's record. I don't know whether the 'most matches to first 50' is on cricketarchive; I haven't checked that yet.

fredfertang

My records book only goes up to '77
Brilliant!!!!!

I spent ages (well at least 5 mins) trying to work out the significance of 1977

Was too embarassed too ask on the grounds I had missed something obvious

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q19. Is that it, most innings required for 2000 f-c runs?....NO

Q20. Most Matches Before Maiden Fifty YESSSSS

Well Done , weldone :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thats correct.

- At the beginning of the 20th century the record was held by David Hunter of Yorkshire who scored a fifty in his 277th first class match (his only fifty in 552 games).

- In 1932, Derbyshire and England wicket keeper Harry Eliott scored the first of his 11 first class fifties in his 298th game.

- It was another 26 years before Tattersall scored his first and only fifty in his 306th game in July 1958. The record still stands after fifty years.

Your turn.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Very interesting, but Kevin Cooper - who played most of his cricket for Notts in fact - actually played at the end of the 20th century, so he never actually held the record. Had to check of course, but I didn't think there were many Kevins around in Edwardian days.

I feel a bit like the man who feeds all the money into the fruit machine, only for someone to win the jackpot when he goes to get change.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Very interesting, but Kevin Cooper - who played most of his cricket for Notts in fact - actually played at the end of the 20th century, so he never actually held the record. Had to check of course, but I didn't think there were many Kevins around in Edwardian days.

I feel a bit like the man who feeds all the money into the fruit machine, only for someone to win the jackpot when he goes to get change.
Sorry my mistake. That should have read David Hunter of Yorkshire.

Kevin Cooper was just in that list of those who played most matches before their maiden FC fifties. Because he comes in between Elliott and Hunter on that list, I typed his name by mistake.

Code:
306	R Tattersall	Lancashire v Leicestershire	1958
298	H Elliott	Northamptonshire v Derbyshire	1932
283	KE Cooper	Gloucestershire v Lancashire	1993
277	D Hunter	Worcestershire v Yorkshire	1900
272	AG Nicholson	Middlesex v Yorkshire	1974
261	RMH Cottam	Northamptonshire v Gloucestershire	1974
259	K Higgs	England v West Indies	1966
253	RGD Willis	Warwickshire v Indians	1982
248	TB Mitchell	Lancashire v Derbyshire	1937
246	FJ Durston	Kent v Marylebone Cricket Club	1928
245	AA Donald	Tasmania v South Africans	1997/98
241	SL Watkin	Glamorgan v Gloucestershire	2000
214	BD Wells	Glamorgan v Nottinghamshire	1962
213	TWJ Goddard	Essex v Gloucestershire	1932
212	DJ Shepherd	Glamorgan v Gloucestershire	1957
210	MWW Selvey	Zimbabwe v Middlesex	1980/81
203	LB Taylor	Essex v Leicestershire	1988

fredfertang

What an interesting list that is

First highlight is Ken Higgs - one of the first test matches I can remember - we were driving home from our summer holiday and I recall to this day listening to the commentary on the car radio as the England tail produced their astonishing performance - I was only 6 so my attention span for test cricket had prior to that been short but I recall being totally captivated by a combination of the radio commentary team supplemented by my Dad's constant expressions of bewilderment at what was going on and frustration at not being able to watch something so interesting - that was the day test cricket took hold of me.

Secondly Bomber Wells - what a character - there are more tall stories about Bomber than any other cricketer except Emmott Robinson - and Bomber started them all!

Thirdly ................................................. well every single name evokes something

stumpski

International Captain
As it may be a while before Weldone asks a question, can I throw in a quickie? That it is phrased in the present tense should necessarily not be taken to mean that the subject is still alive.

Who am I? I am a member of a famous family. I played one first-class match, in which I made 35 runs.

biased indian

International Coach
As it may be a while before Weldone asks a question, can I throw in a quickie? That it is phrased in the present tense should necessarily not be taken to mean that the subject is still alive.

Who am I? I am a member of a famous family. I played one first-class match, in which I made 35 runs.
Australian ???