• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan big spin

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I was referring to a ball that Murali produced to get rid of Sadagopan Ramesh that was an absolute peach, even better than the one against Butcher. Yes peeps, I have got it. It is the last dismissal of the reel. Ball to pitch half a foot out side off (bowling round the wicket) and to take the off bail of a tremendous player of spin, who was on a half century.

The clip is from a google drive. credits to the original uploader.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eP5PEkfcMOyNxtsIwW3pPufFP0gL8XsS/view

Now if I could only find those two balls by Jayananda Warnaweera to Gatting and Kambli, two scorching doosras . . . .

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
From the same series, and probably this is the time Murali was at his destructive best. Against India, 8/87, against the best players of spin in cricket, on a track that is good for batting. Usually Murali doesn'y get the dip or the drift other spinners get. But here it is dipping and drifting alarmingly.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
All the dismissals in the OP are pretty impressive tbh, but yeah the last one especially is insane!

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From the same series, and probably this is the time Murali was at his destructive best. Against India, 8/87, against the best players of spin in cricket, on a track that is good for batting. Usually Murali doesn'y get the dip or the drift other spinners get. But here it is dipping and drifting alarmingly.

Ganguly's dismissal though. Indecision on how to play that ball. And the confused look on his face after he was given out sums up that dismissal.

Also Sameer Dighe's dismissal was 50-50. The ball looked like it was doing too much.

And that Sangakkara stumping to end the innings. Beautiful .

the big bambino

International Captain
That confused look on his face was directed at the umpire imo. That was the most dire Indian batting side I've seen. Tragic. Contrary to the stereotype most couldn't play spin judging from the panicked rushes or playing wafty drives without moving their feet. Very spin friendly home venue too. The kind Alan Border or Michael Clarke might take a bag full. Top performance still.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That confused look on his face was directed at the umpire imo. That was the most dire Indian batting side I've seen. Tragic. Contrary to the stereotype most couldn't play spin judging from the panicked rushes or playing wafty drives without moving their feet. Very spin friendly home venue too. The kind Alan Border or Michael Clarke might take a bag full. Top performance still.
This series was played on much much faster pitches to negate Indian batsmen. This was the only series Murali bowled at home on unresponsive pitches. Indian spinners were taken to pieces in that series. And this is how it behaved in Galle. See the snorter to Ganguly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I do recall the pitches not being that spinner friendly as they were worried about Kumble + Harbhajan. Not sure if both played all series though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India missing Sachin and Laxman also meant SL could get away with seamer friendly pitches more than spin friendly pitches, which Indian FC batsmen of that generation could be a lot more used to. Murali was a cut above that series. Much more than when M&M destroyed us all those years later on absolute dustbowls.