• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali to retire from Test Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Alex

Banned
I understand what you are coming at Richard. Gatting may have been superb player of spin 83 - 87. But he was dross in early 1990s against spin. And knocking over such an out of form batsman has been hyped so much. Warne sending the ball through Basit Ali's legs was the ultimate for me from Warne.
Warne's ball of the century has been replicated by Murali against Sadagoppan Ramesh one time (was it at Colombo)? It was almost a mirror image of tthat dismissal.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And add to that, there is another ball I vivdly remember. Bowler was Jayananda Warnaweera who bowld serioud off braks approaching batsmen in 100km/h speed. He bowled one on middle and off to Gatting which spun away and took the edge, where Tillekaratne completed a catch. That was the first doosra I saw (although not undestanding how it was bowled), and that was at nearly 100 - 105km/h speed. Unfortunaely thee tapes are not there any more with SLRC. It was as good as what Warne bowled to Gatting. Three quick huge off breaks, and then a quick doosra, it was a joy to watch Warnaweera in full flow. Unfortunately his extremely abrasive personality has resulted him to fall out with selectory many a time, and ended only playing less than 25 test matches.England series in 1992/3 was Warnaweera at his frightening best.

Sir Alex

Banned
And add to that, there is another ball I vivdly remember. Bowler was Jayananda Warnaweera who bowld serioud off braks approaching batsmen in 100km/h speed. He bowled one on middle and off to Gatting which spun away and took the edge, where Tillekaratne completed a catch. That was the first doosra I saw (although not undestanding how it was bowled), and that was at nearly 100 - 105km/h speed. Unfortunaely thee tapes are not there any more with SLRC. It was as good as what Warne bowled to Gatting. Three quick huge off breaks, and then a quick doosra, it was a joy to watch Warnaweera in full flow. Unfortunately his extremely abrasive personality has resulted him to fall out with selectory many a time, and ended only playing less than 25 test matches.England series in 1992/3 was Warnaweera at his frightening best.
Hmm.. interesting never really heard about him that much. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I understand what you are coming at Richard. Gatting may have been superb player of spin 83 - 87. But he was dross in early 1990s against spin. And knocking over such an out of form batsman has been hyped so much. Warne sending the ball through Basit Ali's legs was the ultimate for me from Warne.
I don't suppose that's on YouTube anywhere is it? I think I have heard of it before but have definately never seen it.

Sir Alex

Banned
Hmm.. interesting never really heard about him that much. :)
I just checked up cricinfo that's a pretty damn good record he has got! 278 FC wickets @ 19.96 for a spinner is brilliant! But there were questions raised about his action if circinfo profile is to believed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Sri Lanka, many of the best domestic bowlers have records somewhere along those lines, UIMM.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with Richards. SL has very average pitches, so batting is very difficult. But still verage of 20 is towards best fo the his era in SL FCC for a bowler.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't suppose that's on YouTube anywhere is it? I think I have heard of it before but have definately never seen it.
I think it was in "Best of Warne" or some where in you tube. Warne sending Basit Ali though legs!. It;s utter fun if you are a lespinner (I was one)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Excellent stuff. Hadn't seen some of the other deliveries on that vid before either.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I like the Kallis one. It didn't turn but a great piece of thinking. Tossed it up from around the wicket, Kallis and the spectator sure it was a legspinner but it top-span it through between bat and pad. Checkmate.

Proves that the mere fear of spin is enough for top quality batsman to bowl themselves out. I wonder how many wickets fell for Warne on reputation alone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The more you swing your normal deliveries, the more dangerous one that just does nothing at all will be. The benefit of sideways movement is not just from the deliveries that do, but those that don't.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think the single best ball Warne got someone with was the one to Chanders at the SCG tbh. That thing turned an obscene amount from teh rough (is no. 2 in that vid).

Still, the Gatting ball - what a way to announce one's arrival in an Ashes series.

Edit: should also say I was fortunate enough to be there for the Chanders, Kallis and Basit Ali balls.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know, it's funny, Warne himself talks of that Chanderpaul ball (I guess that must be '96/97 yeah?) turning probably more than any other ball he's bowled, but I could absolutely swear that he bowled a couple at Trescothick on the last day of that 2005 Ashes (one of which turned so much HawkEye refused to simulate it, as it was beyond the comprehension that it had been programmed to comprehend) which went even further.

Reminiscent of some of Murali's magic balls that he used to bowl at RHBs from over-the-wicket back in about 1998-2000 sort of time, where he'd toss them really high, they'd barely pitch on the cut strip, then rip back in and hit the stumps.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah true. I suppose the outcome for Warne with that ball makes it stick in his mind. Chanders had, iirc, given him a bit of hammer that morning.

I remember sitting in the Bradman stand and there was a group of WI supporters there singing "Bring Warne back on" because he'd copped a pasting. Then Tubby brought him back and, well...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The other ball - the one that HawkEye did get - got Trescothick lbw, but I guess it didn't turn-out to be pivotal as it could have been, had... well, yes, had Warne caught Pietersen.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One thing that was awesome about Warne was his mental intimidation. The threat of spin, as GuyFromLancs said, was enough. When he was playing, he had seven different deliveries that went straight, and it completely got into the minds of the batsmen. After he retired, he was like, "Yea, I had about eight names for the one that went straight." :laugh:

Burgey

One thing that was awesome about Warne was his mental intimidation. The threat of spin, as GuyFromLancs said, was enough. When he was playing, he had seven different deliveries that went straight, and it completely got into the minds of the batsmen. After he retired, he was like, "Yea, I had about eight names for the one that went straight." :laugh:
Yeah, especially the last 200 or so of his wickets - got so many from balls that didn't turn.

FMD I could have watched that guy play cricket forever.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You know, it's funny, Warne himself talks of that Chanderpaul ball (I guess that must be '96/97 yeah?) turning probably more than any other ball he's bowled, but I could absolutely swear that he bowled a couple at Trescothick on the last day of that 2005 Ashes (one of which turned so much HawkEye refused to simulate it, as it was beyond the comprehension that it had been programmed to comprehend) which went even further.

Reminiscent of some of Murali's magic balls that he used to bowl at RHBs from over-the-wicket back in about 1998-2000 sort of time, where he'd toss them really high, they'd barely pitch on the cut strip, then rip back in and hit the stumps.
The video is obviously taken before the Ashes 05, because I too agree that the ones he bowled to Trescothick were ridiculous. Crazy turn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.