• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali The Greatest Asian Cricketer Ever

Which of the following options do you think is the most appropriate rank for Murali

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Having watched Imran bat somewhat would have to agree that he wasn't a great batsman but he wasn't that bad either.

Although I don't quite agree that all his not outs should be counted against him.

Btw Imran the bowler is just marginally worse than Murali the bowler and Sachin the batsman, if at all, and has a very complete record. The difference is very small and his leadership/batting bring a much much greater dimesnion to the table than Sachin or Murali's other disciplines. His fielding was worse than average though
Good point. Imran as a bowler has quite a few points over Murali in the bowling counts:

-Imran has better overall stats in average, strikerate, even though he played purely as a batsmen for the latter part of his career

-Imran has a significantly more well-rounded record, his highest average is only 28 against NZ and is particularly superb against the West Indies, the best batting lineup of his time, while Murali suffered against India and Australia

-Imran at his best achieved a higher rating than any other post-war bowler (Reliance ICC Player Rankings)

-In terms of influence, Imran had an actual legacy of fast bowlers inspired by him in Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib, whereas Murali is a freak and one-off

bagapath

International Captain
-In terms of influence, Imran had an actual legacy of fast bowlers inspired by him in Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib, whereas Murali is a freak and one-off
how does this make murali inferior? if australia doesnt produce hard hitting wicket keeper batsmen anymore doesnt that make gilchrist more special than clean keepers - but average bats, like healy and marsh?

the rest of the points are fine. i wont mind anyone rating imran above murali as bowler (or vice versa))

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
That is a ridiculously high weight to ODIs in my book but to each his own.
How is 0.3 high??? DOn't forget that before T20s, ODis were actually quite good.
For batsmen I would go for 0.2 to 1/3 (depends on when the player started his ODi career) and for bowlers 0.15 to 0.3.

For murali, sachin and imran, i would put a higher weighting on their ODis for sure.

You need different set of skills for ODIs!! If you don't suceed in ODIs then you are obviously not as good a player as some others who suceed in both.

Top order Batsmen A: avgs 45 in 60 tests and 40 in 150 ODis
Top order Batsmen B: avgs 48 in 60 tests and 30 in 150 ODis

Batsmen A slight > B

Players on avg play 2.5 times as many ODIs as tests
so
t = 2.5 d
t+ d = 1

d = 1 - t
t = 2.5 (1 - t)
t = 2.5 - 2.5t
3.5 t = 2.5
tests = 0.714 ; d= 0.286

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
How is 0.3 high??? DOn't forget that before T20s, ODis were actually quite good.
For batsmen I would go for 0.2 to 1/3 (depends on when the player started his ODi career) and for bowlers 0.15 to 0.3.

For murali, sachin and imran, i would put a higher weighting on their ODis for sure.

You need different set of skills for ODIs!! If you don't suceed in ODIs then you are obviously not as good a player as some others who suceed in both.

Top order Batsmen A: avgs 45 in 60 tests and 40 in 150 ODis
Top order Batsmen B: avgs 48 in 60 tests and 30 in 150 ODis

Batsmen A slight > B

Players on avg play 2.5 times as many ODIs as tests
so
t = 2.5 d
t+ d = 1

d = 1 - t
t = 2.5 (1 - t)
t = 2.5 - 2.5t
3.5 t = 2.5
tests = 0.714 ; d= 0.286
wow...........what a sound mathematical proof :ph34r:...........but I don't quite agree with this methodology...........Tests and ODIs are totally different ball games.....no point in trying to put together averages in both formats to try and come up with a weight........

shankar

International Debutant
Interesting that.

For the record in the equivalent batting SRT is actually below 8 of his contemporaries.
He's actually below 9 of them. They're not exactly contemporaries. They're contemporaries of the poorer half of his career i.e. after his first 14 years. It's not surprising that so many of the batsmen from that period figure in the top 25 (9 of them from 2003-2010) since it was one was the most batting friendly periods ever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which would be all well and good as an argument if it weren't for the fact that the ratings take into strength of opposition attack AND ease of scoring runs in those conditions.

shankar

International Debutant
Which would be all well and good as an argument if it weren't for the fact that the ratings take into strength of opposition attack AND ease of scoring runs in those conditions.
I haven't looked at the rating methodology yet, but it's interesting that 8 of the top 25 ratings in test cricket history occurred over the period 2004-2010.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Murali and Tendy never bestrode the cricket world. They never provided leadership.
So, they scored lots of runs and got lots of wickets. Big deal.

It was Imran Khan who cast his aura and authority throughout the world of cricket and it is for this reason (which compliments his batting/bowling exploits), that he separates himself from the rest and begets the title of greatest Asian cricketer

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Murali and Tendy never bestrode the cricket world. They never provided leadership.
So, they scored lots of runs and got lots of wickets. Big deal.

It was Imran Khan who cast his aura and authority throughout the world of cricket and it is for this reason (which compliments his batting/bowling exploits), that he separates himself from the rest and begets the title of greatest Asian cricketer
Yeah, no big deal. If I took cricket more seriously and wasted less time browsing internet, I'd have scored 20,000 test runs and taken 1,000 wickets. No big deal.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Having watched Imran bat somewhat would have to agree that he wasn't a great batsman but he wasn't that bad either.

Although I don't quite agree that all his not outs should be counted against him.

Btw Imran the bowler is just marginally worse than Murali the bowler and Sachin the batsman, if at all, and has a very complete record. The difference is very small and his leadership/batting bring a much much greater dimesnion to the table than Sachin or Murali's other disciplines. His fielding was worse than average though
That also means he lost his chance to put up bigger score and pile up more runs.

It's always hard to rate an all-rounder properly in their weaker discipline without actually having watched them. It's one area where the stats rarely paint a true picture of a player's utility to the team. For example, I strongly think Sachin was an excellent ODI part-timer (like Yuvraj these days) for a long time in the 90s, but the stats make him out to be quite ordinary. I am inclined to give a lot of weight to the opinions of those who watched Imran and Sobers play, when it comes to assessing them on their weaker disciplines. Unsurprisingly, it's hard to find too many people who actually followed their careers on here.
AWTA

I would give ODIs a weighting of
0.25 to 1/3
For players of last 20 years, I would go ~40%.