• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali The Greatest Asian Cricketer Ever

Which of the following options do you think is the most appropriate rank for Murali

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
I love him as much as a straight man can love another man :)
haha......good one :)

its a toss up between Imran,Sachin and Murali really very difficult to decide.
I think Imran edges the others because he brought more to the table with him. With Murali and Sachin the problem is that both are at the top of their disciplines and it is extremely difficult to put one past the other. If one finds ATg bowlers to be inherently more useful than ATG batsmen then the tilt will be towards Murali otherwise it might well be towards Sachin.

Bun

Banned
Murali is definitely a champ in his own right. It is utterly laughable to rank batsmen and bowlers, heights of incredulity when one says Sachin is a better cricketer than Murali, or Imran is a greater cricketer than Sachin etc. Let's leave them where they are.

Fully though understand this is a tribute thread and that is the intention of the thread starter. Absolutely love Murali, WAG!

smash84

The Tiger King
You betcha! ;)

The problem with such cross discipline comparison is that they might lead to insane stuff like George Lohmann > Sir Don Bradman and the like. :shock:

Just my thoughts.
So what is wrong with that? Isn't Don Bradman called the greatest cricketer ever by many people?

What you are suggesting is that cricketers should only be rated according to their discipline and hence Bradman has no claim to being called the greatest cricketer ever

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
So what is wrong with that? Isn't Don Bradman called the greatest cricketer ever by many people?

What you are suggesting is that cricketers should only be rated according to their discipline and hence Bradman has no claim to being called the greatest cricketer ever
Bradman definitely has a legit claim to be the greatest batsman ever!

Cricketer? Not sure unless we have some common factor to bring batting and bowling on the same table. I don't know what it is. Apples to oranges and the like.Humoungous degree of subjectivity creeps into such arguments.

We really don't have a good common definition for "cricketer" do we? Batsman - Yes. Bowler - Yes. Allrounder - Yes. But cricketer? A lot of corruption can happen there.

smash84

The Tiger King

Cricketer? Not sure unless we have some common factor to bring batting and bowling on the same table. I don't know what it is. Apples to oranges and the like.Humoungous degree of subjectivity creeps into such arguments.

We really don't have a good common definition for "cricketer" do we? Batsman - Yes. Bowler - Yes. Allrounder - Yes. But cricketer? A lot of corruption can happen there.
I think for most people there would be some convergence on the definition of cricketer. It might be as to how much value the player brings to the team. There will generally be a big element of subjectivity but I really don't think that it is a comparison that could not or should not be made.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Imran is the greatest Asian cricketer ever, in terms of skill set?

pup11

International Coach
I don't think skills alone make you a great, the way you carry yourself through your career and the kind of respect your peers and fans have for you all are equally important.

I think Tendulkar just pips the rest when it comes to greatness because for a man who has conquered every record one can conquer, the humility, passion and the drive for the game he still has is just amazing and in an international career spanning over 22 years he hasn't gotten himself into any controversies, tbh all these things just put him on a different pedestal all together.

Borges

International Regular

Agreed.

In my mind:
The greatest cricketer ever: Garry Sobers
The greatest Asian cricketer ever: Imran Khan.

But, no worries. That's just me.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
in fact, at the risk of opening a can of worms. i would quite happily have murali as the 4th greatest cricketer ever. after bradman, sobers, and kallis. with massive apologies to miller and khan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd say Imran is ahead of the field, myself.

Kapil Dev probably worthy of consideration for the top two or three Asian cricketers too; when one considers what he brought to the table. I bet he bowled on some real heartbreakers for seamers in his time.

Wasim in the shake up too?

hang on

State Vice-Captain
gavaskar, too, deserves to be in the mix. another one of those players who is often in alltime world X1s, or in the shortlist.

the asian players who are shoo ins, or close, to all time lists:

tendulkar
murali
khan
gavaskar
akram

TumTum

Banned
I don't think skills alone make you a great, the way you carry yourself through your career and the kind of respect your peers and fans have for you all are equally important.

I think Tendulkar just pips the rest when it comes to greatness because for a man who has conquered every record one can conquer, the humility, passion and the drive for the game he still has is just amazing and in an international career spanning over 22 years he hasn't gotten himself into any controversies, tbh all these things just put him on a different pedestal all together.
This.

Greatest =/= Best

That's why I consider Warne as the greatest modern cricketer.