• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most underrated and overrated players in the world?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Ridiculous, really.
How on Earth is McGrath underrated, he can only bowl well on seaming or uneven tracks and everyone thinks he's an all-time great.
You forgot to mention flat wickets and spinning wickets.

Hold on, now you mention it, he bowls well on every type of wicket.

Maybe that's the reason he's considered an all-time great.

social

Richard said:
Apart from the bit about Sarwan, there's no :D about it, amz has a perfectly valid point, if Murali is a chucker so is everyone, including the wonderful Richard Hadlee.
The "authorities" have changed the rule to accommodate Murali for purely political purposes - it's a disgrace.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
How on Earth is McGrath underrated, he can only bowl well on seaming or uneven tracks and everyone thinks he's an all-time great.
If he can only bowl well on such wickets, please explain his record away.

Oh wait, it's all luck isn't it (!)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:

It's interesting that Richard says McGrath can only bowl well on seaming or uneven tracks, and also manages to juggle that with saying that most tracks in the world are too flat and batsmen's paradises. I don't really understand how McGrath can be so overrated with an average of around 22 when most wickets in the world are flat-tracks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
The "authorities" have changed the rule to accommodate Murali for purely political purposes - it's a disgrace.
If there was any evidence to support that, it'd be an interesting claim.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
You forgot to mention flat wickets and spinning wickets.

Hold on, now you mention it, he bowls well on every type of wicket.
No, he just tends to get good figures on every type of wicket.
You don't have to bowl well to get good figures.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

Away, home - that doesn't have any impact.
It's all poor strokes - whether that's luck or not is what's down to the opinion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Casson said:
It's interesting that Richard says McGrath can only bowl well on seaming or uneven tracks, and also manages to juggle that with saying that most tracks in the world are too flat and batsmen's paradises. I don't really understand how McGrath can be so overrated with an average of around 22 when most wickets in the world are flat-tracks.
Only in the last 3 or 4 years or so have they been. I've seen McGrath bowl on plenty of flat tracks and he's either been ineffectual or got wickets through poor strokes.
Simple as.

social

Richard said:
Away, home - that doesn't have any impact.
It's all poor strokes - whether that's luck or not is what's down to the opinion.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What a wonderful comeback again!
If you can provide any evidence to counter the statement that McGrath mostly tends to take wickets with poor strokes when the pitches don't offer seam or uneven bounce, you might actually be getting somewhere.

social

Richard said:
If you can provide any evidence to counter the statement that McGrath mostly tends to take wickets with poor strokes when the pitches don't offer seam or uneven bounce, you might actually be getting somewhere.
Why bother!

The guy has taken over 400 test wickets in over 100 tests at about 22.

If you cant see that he is a quality bowler then Im quite happy to let you wallow in your ignorance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And by quoting a figure I'm perfectly well aware of you've shown that I was incorrect to state what I stated...
I've never said he's not a quality bowler, just that he's nothing like as good on non-seaming, even-bounce wickets as is assumed.

deeps

International 12th Man
i dnt believe richard! he MUST b kidding! if mcgrath is "lucky" as you say, and bowls poorly and yet ends up with good figures... wouldnt the law of averages state that after a certain amount of games, his poor bowling will show up on the stats? i think that over 100 test, of which ALOT of them would have been flat tracks, his bowling would have taken a battering!?

actually, we'll take a look at yesterday's ODI vs new zealand

the most economical bowler besides mcgrath is brett lee,and he went at 4.55 an over... the most economical new zealand bowler was darry tuffey who went at 5.8 an over.

the bowler with the most wickets is scott styris with 4 wickets (10 runs a wicket) and mr glen mcgrath who also took 4 wickets but only conceeded 16 runs in his 19.4 overs, which is a touch under 1.6 an over. so his wickets cost ONE RUN....

now please tell me that on this obviously flat track where bowlers are being punished at 4 and 5 an over, how mcgrath got away with 1.6?for someone who rates damian fleming, dion nash, javagal srinath, geoff allot as great bowlers of their time, i fail to realise how mcgrath isnt' seen as above them by a country mile?

now batsman may play stupid shots against mcgrath, but it's because mcgrath MAKES them play stupid shots... If you are a batsman and the ball keeps going somewhere where it's awkward to play front or back, and just oustide off stump you will eventually get sick of leaving and blocking. Then you will try and do something to break the shackles and that' when mcgrath strikes. he slowly and steadily sets you up and then you take the bait and voila, another wicket for mr mcgrath!

maybe not as good to watch as waqar younis bowling toe crushing yorkers and getting the batsman out, but it's just as effective.

you seriously have some of the weirdest opinions for everything that i've ever seen on CW.

and dont say that you've been here for ever and that i wldnt have read all your posts

by artificially increasing your post count by replying to each and every tiny little comment by posting a new reply inflates your post count and doesn't mean anything. and yes, you may have been here for ages longer than me, but i've been here for well and truly long enough to see all the weird opinions you have

but dont mind me, and dont stop! it provides all of us here at CW a good laugh, sorta like amits, but more well behaved

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hamish Marshall must be one of the most underated oneday players around. Nobody really rates him but he has an excellent one-day average and strike rate. Not to mention his fielding (and his hair :D )

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
It's no secret that McGrath doesn't do a huge amount with the ball; what he does do though, is not provide the batsmen with easy scoring opportunities. After a while, frustration leads to brain explosions, and there you have what makes McGrath so special: the ability to bang the ball in at a length delivery after delivery until the batsman commits suicide.

If he had any less control, the batsmen could just sit back and wait for the ball that gets away; the fact that it comes less often than Hailey's Comet says that McGrath is a good bowler and doubtlessly something special.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mr Casson said:
It's no secret that McGrath doesn't do a huge amount with the ball; what he does do though, is not provide the batsmen with easy scoring opportunities. After a while, frustration leads to brain explosions, and there you have what makes McGrath so special: the ability to bang the ball in at a length delivery after delivery until the batsman commits suicide.

If he had any less control, the batsmen could just sit back and wait for the ball that gets away; the fact that it comes less often than Hailey's Comet says that McGrath is a good bowler and doubtlessly something special.
wonderful to see the term "brain explosion" creeping into the forum.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Most Over-rated players - A Nehra,L Balaji,Y Singh...pretty much the Indian team I'd say,except for RD,AA and AJ