• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most powerful hitting batsman you've ever seen

nick-o

State 12th Man
Personally, Sir Viv is the only possible answer -- because in his day he was so much more of a hard hitter than anyone else.

There are loads of guys around in the last ten years that have explored new boundaries, as it were, although none of them have really achieved dominance over their rivals. Only Sir Viv had that kind of dominance -- and if anyone emerged to try to rival him, he just outdid them anyway.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from some of the names which are already discussed in this thread, I think Gordon Greenidge was a very powerful hitter,

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
Sorry Beleg but he wont be mentioned by the others here.
What is your damned problem, Bob?

The following people are also worthy of mention (from memory):

Inzy, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Majid Khan, Javed Miandad, Zaheer Abbas

Is there anyone I've forgot? Please don't tell me.... let me guess.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
For sheer consistency of striking, Chris Cairns and Abdul Razzaq are my picks.

Razzaq in particular has played some brutal innings against New Zealand in particular, notably the last few one-dayers the two sides have played.

NB: Nathan Astle, 222, Christchurch 2002 v England. A never to be repeated hitting display. If you watched it, live or otherwise, you will understand why i mention it.

It was almost out of this world.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Razzaq is good but he's useless against a quality spinner if you ask me... hit's the quick bowlers well though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Eclipse said:
Razzaq is good but he's useless against a quality spinner if you ask me... hit's the quick bowlers well though.
Yeah, he does seem like one of the guys where the faster the ball comes at him, the faster it ends up heading back at the bowler. As opposed to someone like Afridi, where you'll just never see the ball coming back at you in the first place, no matter how you bowl :p

C_C

International Captain
Most powerful hitting batsman ?
Viv Richards.
There is simply no question about it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
Most powerful hitting batsman ?
Viv Richards.
There is simply no question about it.
In fairness, a lot of people around here haven't seen Viv live, and the question is who have you seen. And I don't think anyone's disputing that, they're just mentioning others who also hit it darn hard.

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Got the force metre out on that one have we C_C?
I am going by how often he hit the humongous ones......Viv has put the ball outside the stadium than any other batsman i've ever seen....by a country mile......the only player i would consider comparable is Afridi due to his monstrous hitting.

C_C

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
In fairness, a lot of people around here haven't seen Viv live, and the question is who have you seen. And I don't think anyone's disputing that, they're just mentioning others who also hit it darn hard.
Oh i know......but I have seen Viv ( i actually got a clip or two of him on my computer- if you want it, i can transfer it to you through msn) and he simply is the biggest hitter of the ball i've ever seen.
Afridi is a distant second IMO but when it comes to bighitting, the ones i would consider as big hitters apart from those two are Symonds, Jayasurya, Brian McMillan, Razzaq, Cairns, Cairns Sr., Greenidge, Mikey Holding, Clive Lloyd, Kapil Dev and a few others (when i can remember them).

Blaze

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
Well, he's a better batsman, no doubt about that. But I always regarded Chris as just having more talent and better timing, although he can certainly hit powerfully. Lance had that nifty little bat with the shoulders cut off though, and his forearms seemed huge - bigger than Klusener's. I thought he hit the ball as powerfully as anybody I've seen. Did you ever see Lance play?

Yeah I have seen some limited footage of him.. including his six 6's at the MCG. It must be said that bats back then probably wern't as good as they are now which makes his hitting even better i suppose.

Blaze

Banned
AndrewM said:
NB: Nathan Astle, 222, Christchurch 2002 v England. A never to be repeated hitting display. If you watched it, live or otherwise, you will understand why i mention it.

It was almost out of this world.
Yeah that was special