• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most powerful hitting batsman you've ever seen

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
I understand that Shahid Afridi is not popular among english and australian friend,

If you dont name Shahid Afridi in this thread then I dont know if you know much about hard hitting.
Why on earth not?

The only thing I've got against him is when he came to Derbyshire (my county) for a month he was utter rubbish. Some of the innings he has played in the last year or so have been quite awesome as he has threatened to add a small dose of common sense to his prodigious slogging.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Why on earth not?

The only thing I've got against him is when he came to Derbyshire (my county) for a month he was utter rubbish. Some of the innings he has played in the last year or so have been quite awesome as he has threatened to add a small dose of common sense to his prodigious slogging.
If Afridi could be pursuaded (and if the legion of his blind supporters would let him be pursuaded) to get a dose of common sense, he would be challenging for the most exciting batsman of the century. Unfortunately thats as unlikely to happen as for Pakistan fans to understand that non-Pakistani cricket lovers are more exasperated with Afridi's mindless approach than hating him for any of their imagined causes.

I think Afridi is an idiot who could have challenged tendulkar for the most exciting batsman to come from the sub continent if he was not such an imbecile and if he was willing to go to a coach and say, "OK, i will listen to you"

I love Afridi's batting and I hate his attitude towards the possibilities of developing into a great batsman. I would have felt the same way, maybe much more strongly towards his idiocy if he was an Indian.
:sleep:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Before anyone jumps on me for the harsh words used for Afridi, let me clarify that I am incenced at being denied brilliant big hundreds even in the longer version of the game that this guy is capable of but wont understand there is a method to madness.

Wish he was playing for India and then he spoke English or Chappell spoke Pushto :sleep:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
No need to apologise SJS, all sensible opinions are valid surely.

That Symonds ton in the last WC (can't remember who against, Pakistan?) was an incredible display of clean striking and hard hitting. Wow. Love to see him play some tests. KP can welly it, as can Fred. It's a toss up between Viv and Afridi for me, though the former may be a romantic choice.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
No need to apologise SJS, all sensible opinions are valid surely.

That Symonds ton in the last WC (can't remember who against, Pakistan?) was an incredible display of clean striking and hard hitting. Wow. Love to see him play some tests. KP can welly it, as can Fred. It's a toss up between Viv and Afridi for me, though the former may be a romantic choice.
I am a great fan of Viv.and dont think one can speak of Afridi and Richards in the same breath. Afridi needs working on but the basic material is all there.

To start with he has an orthodox stance and grip.
He drives with an immaculately straight bat.
He has one of the cleanest follow throughs after a superb full swing.

These are the things missing from the technical aspects from most young batsmen. he has it right. I dont know how. It could be the influence of some orthodox coaching early on.

Add to that his tremendous sense of timing and great strength and most basic material is there.

I agree this is not all that goes to make a great player but it goes a long way. He needed someone to take him into his wings and work on his game (and his head) without making him a machine, and we could have been blessed with a remarkable batsman. today, he is a wasted talent.

History will not put him in the same book, let alone page as the Vivs, Brians and Laras. And that is a tragedy. Thats why I get upset with Pakistani fans who gloat over what he has and argue with those who think he isnt good enough, for there is more than a grain of truth in Afridi's detractors views.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
What about Hayden ? A lot of his runs are scored through hitting the ball hard rather than using finesse and timing

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
:D Close? McMillan?
Come on.

The Brians refer to Lara and the Laras refer to Croft. SJS was confusing her with Colin.

Easy mistake to make - one is a gorgeously attractive, athletic individual with breasts to die for and the other one is played by an actress.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SJS: Some of the knocks Afridi played in the past season in Australia suggest he may have turned the corner, to be honest. I've always liked him but this last summer, he really played well. He hasn't lost any of his hitting power but he appeared more likely to go on for a big score, especially in that 50 in Hobart where he ripped the Aussie attack to bits and played two of the greatest shots I've ever seen over cover.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
SJS: Some of the knocks Afridi played in the past season in Australia suggest he may have turned the corner, to be honest. I've always liked him but this last summer, he really played well. He hasn't lost any of his hitting power but he appeared more likely to go on for a big score, especially in that 50 in Hobart where he ripped the Aussie attack to bits and played two of the greatest shots I've ever seen over cover.
I am told by others and hope its true but it might be a bit late in the day.

He needs to play more ground shots, which he is well capable of, and also learn the art of placing the ground shots, something he never felt the need to learn with thepenchant for clearing the verticle reach of all the fieldsmen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Come on.

The Brians refer to Lara and the Laras refer to Croft. SJS was confusing her with Colin.

Easy mistake to make - one is a gorgeously attractive, athletic individual with breasts to die for and the other one is played by an actress.
:p :p :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Brett Lee is the hardest hitting batsman in the Australian team, IMO. Just that he can hit a smaller range of balls hard as opposed to the better batsmen in the side.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brett Lee is the hardest hitting batsman in the Australian team, IMO. Just that he can hit a smaller range of balls hard as opposed to the better batsmen in the side.
Certainly has the most exaggerated follow-through in the side! :D

vic_orthdox said:
Quite possibly.

I can't remember what game it was but as I recall he hit two or three huge sixes in the space of a few balls during his knock.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Shane Warne said:
Quite possibly.

I can't remember what game it was but as I recall he hit two or three huge sixes in the space of a few balls during his knock.
Possibly his 51* against South Africa at the WACA in 2001/02? He got 3 of his 4 sixes in one Donald over.

Aus v SAF, Perth 2001/02

Barney Rubble

International Coach
This is going to make a lot of people laugh, but there aren't a lot of people in world cricket right now that can hit a ball harder than Ian Blackwell. 10x6 and 10x4 in a 71-ball 134* the other week show that not only are the Taunton boundaries very short, but when Blackwell connects (which is usually kinda rare) he really connects. He hit 247* off about 140 balls the other year in an FC game too, with 11x6.