• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most powerful hitting batsman you've ever seen

King_Ponting

International Regular
Pietersen strikes it pretty hard as well, although im inclined to go with either andy symonds or gilchrist
 

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist is the cleanest, strongest striker of the ball I've ever seen. Afridi and Kluesener hit it harder, though.
 

Anil

International Coach
there are so many...viv richards, clive lloyd, kapil dev, ian botham, lance klusener, chris cairns, shahid afridi, andrew flintoff, adam gilchrist, wayne phillips, sanath jayasuriya....
 

Slow Love™

International Captain
Blaze said:
I reckon he is overrated.. Chris hits it just as hard if not harder
Well, he's a better batsman, no doubt about that. But I always regarded Chris as just having more talent and better timing, although he can certainly hit powerfully. Lance had that nifty little bat with the shoulders cut off though, and his forearms seemed huge - bigger than Klusener's. I thought he hit the ball as powerfully as anybody I've seen. Did you ever see Lance play?
 

cricket player

International Debutant
I understand that Shahid Afridi is not popular among english and australian friend,

If you dont name Shahid Afridi in this thread then I dont know if you know much about hard hitting.
 

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slow Love™ said:
Well, he's a better batsman, no doubt about that. But I always regarded Chris as just having more talent and better timing, although he can certainly hit powerfully. Lance had that nifty little bat with the shoulders cut off though, and his forearms seemed huge - bigger than Klusener's. I thought he hit the ball as powerfully as anybody I've seen. Did you ever see Lance play?
Who could forget his 6 sixes at the MCG (in the days before the ropes were pulled in from the boundry) off Lillee, Hogg and Mclean. The 5th of those was onehanded :D

Definately a candidate for most powerful ever.

My top 10 (in no order) would be ....

Lance Cairns
Afridi
Flintoff
Viv Richards
Greenige
Chris Cairns
Craig Mcmillan (may surprise a few)
Symonds
Klusener
Botham

note.... IMO Gilchrist is more of a "Clean" hitter of the ball as opposed to a "powerful" hitter if that makes any sense whereas the names above are all about power
 

archie mac

International Coach
Merve Hughes said Viv was the only player he felt intimidated by when bowling, as his straight drive came back so fast and hard. Dickie Bird said he felt the same when standing at the umpries end, when Viv was in form. There is a famous photo of Dickie Bird waving a white hanky at Viv after a ball wizzed past his left ear.

I thought Botham a great hitter when he 'was going'
 

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig Mcmillan lol..

decent hitter but a lot of batsman hit the ball harder than him..

I would say Afridi, but the best hitting i've seen in a match was probably Ponting in the WC final.
 

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eclipse said:
Craig Mcmillan lol..

decent hitter but a lot of batsman hit the ball harder than him..

I would say Afridi, but the best hitting i've seen in a match was probably Ponting in the WC final.
I take it you have seen much of Mcmillan then .....although he's only a moderate international batsmen.....there aren't that many that hit the ball as hard...

Whoops...I forgot Pietersen in my top 10
 
FaaipDeOiad said:
Gilchrist is the cleanest, strongest striker of the ball I've ever seen. Afridi and Kluesener hit it harder, though.
What do you mean by strongest, yet not being as hard?

P.S. No need to get defensive BTW, I am just asking in a nice fashion. :)
 

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
What do you mean by strongest, yet not being as hard?

P.S. No need to get defensive BTW, I am just asking in a nice fashion. :)
Poor phrasing on my part perhaps. I should say that Gilchrist is the cleanest and best hitter of the ball I have ever seen. His ability to hit any sort of delivery anywhere on the ground, right out of the middle against any sort of bowling is phenomenal, and only matched by Viv Richards ever imo. He isn't as hard hitting as guys like Afridi and Kluesener, though.
 

Swervy

International Captain
yeah lance cairns could give it some welly ..I remember seeing years ago the one handed six.

I loved the club of a bat that he had
 

Top