• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Aamer does it again!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is the Surrey cricket league Div 1 recognised by ICC in any way? If it isn't which I probably think is the case then Amir should be fine actually. Similar thing happened with him and a Rawalpindi team a while back.

Xuhaib

International Coach
that Rawalpindi game was such a joke I know the guy who organize that tourney in Pindi that league is as close to come under the jurisdiction of ICC as my backyard games with my cousins.

Daemon

that Rawalpindi game was such a joke I know the guy who organize that tourney in Pindi that league is as close to come under the jurisdiction of ICC as my backyard games with my cousins.
Did he open the batting there as well? It's a good gage of the standard of that tourney tbh :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is the Surrey cricket league Div 1 recognised by ICC in any way? If it isn't which I probably think is the case then Amir should be fine actually. Similar thing happened with him and a Rawalpindi team a while back.
It's part of the ECB's pyramid & as the English board are full members of the ICC, it is, yes.

It was a friendly so who really gives a ****
It wasn't a friendly fixture; it was a league game.

I don't know what the standard was like, but that's not really the point, is it? Surrey Division 1 sounds like it might be a decent level, but players umpiring themselves the contrary.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's recognised by the ECB

morgieb

Shouldn't he have known it was a league game though?

Tend to think the club is in some trouble too tbh.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It wasn't a friendly fixture; it was a league game.

I don't know what the standard was like, but that's not really the point, is it? Surrey Division 1 sounds like it might be a decent level, but players umpiring themselves the contrary.
Apparantly:

The Surrey Cricket League is the lowest level of organised cricket in the county, coming below the six-division Ryman Surrey Championship and the two-division Fullers Brewery Surrey County League.
Which makes you wonder

a) How Amir got there
b) Why he didn't tear them to pieces.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A bit more on the Surrey Cricket League (my emphasis), courtesy of a bloke on Exeweb who plays in it:

"No, there isn't a registration system with the league/ECB/whatever for our league, hence there are possibilities of "ringers". A team that was in our Premier Division until resigning last season would regularly field top Bangladeshi players - when our 1s were in the Premier Division for a season 4 or so years back this side had players with Test experience.

However, there are rules in place around playing players in our league with current FC experience, or even (as we have a few 4th XIs of Surrey Championship sides) Surrey Championship Premier Division players. There is also a rule about players of obvious ability - hence in the BBC report of this, Addington are clearly lying when they said they checked with the league about whether he could play, as this would have been in direct contravention of Playing Condition 11 of our league, which relates to players playing who are obviously far too good for the standard they are playing at and their influence on the result.

Addington actually do possibly have previous on this. In 2008 we played them, and they had a guy who claimed to play for Rawalpindi. I checked Cricket Archive and, unless he was playing under an assumed name, he didn't play FOR Rawalpindi, but played top (ish) level Cricket in the Rawalpindi region. You might be able to guess who it was based on the scorecard:

The Surrey Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Addington 1743 CC - Saturday XI vs Old Isleworthians/Hest CC - 2nd XI

Source: exeweb.com forums - View Single Post - Club Cricket 2011

Bun

Banned
Addington 1743 also issued a statement, saying: "We are a village team self-funded by the players. We have no official umpires [the players umpire the games themselves]. We knew that Amir was keen to get fit.

"We invited him to join us in order for him to get some practice. He did not stay for the whole game. Amir did not think that he was breaching his ban, nor did the club.

"We asked the league whether he could play and we were told that he could. Amir was very anxious not to violate his ban.

"If there has been any misunderstanding or breach of his ban it has occurred entirely as a result of the assurance that we gave him. If that assurance was mistaken we apologise to everyone."

My take on the issue, the Addington club was keen to get some free publicity what better way then to take a chance with a dim moron who has been banned from the sport and will just jump at any opportunity at a chance to play organized cricket.Aamer in his desperation to play any cricket just made some cosmetic checks to see weather he can play or not and at the slightest hint of approval he just jumped in.
That settles it then. club to blame. not amir

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
If that is true then that's fine by me. Wouldn't take that as confirmation though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Disagree. I don't care how many people told him it was okay. Burden is on him to make sure he's doing the right thing.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely if you're Amir you check with someone at the ICC before proceeding, not some random bloke at an amateur cricket club? It might not be the case, but it really seems as though he doesn't comprehend the seriousness of the situation.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Disagree. I don't care how many people told him it was okay. Burden is on him to make sure he's doing the right thing.
Indeed. I feel sorry for the guy because he's probably had a pretty poor upbringing and no education, but you can't use that as an excuse for these sort of things.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I find this kind of weirdly awesome. Just really, how often do you see such obvious taking of the piss, and arguably unintentionally so? :laugh:

Him opening the batting, scoring runs and then dominating with the ball adds to the brilliance of it all.

He truly is a ****ing idiot.

On the point that you'd have walked off if you were the opposition, I daresay that i'd despite my hatred for his behaviour and him ****ing over our beautiful game, I really would have loved the opportunity to face him and see how he bowls. It'd have been an experience.

Hasimir Fenring

Cricket Spectator
A bit more on the Surrey Cricket League (my emphasis), courtesy of a bloke on Exeweb who plays in it:

"No, there isn't a registration system with the league/ECB/whatever for our league, hence there are possibilities of "ringers". A team that was in our Premier Division until resigning last season would regularly field top Bangladeshi players - when our 1s were in the Premier Division for a season 4 or so years back this side had players with Test experience.

However, there are rules in place around playing players in our league with current FC experience, or even (as we have a few 4th XIs of Surrey Championship sides) Surrey Championship Premier Division players. There is also a rule about players of obvious ability - hence in the BBC report of this, Addington are clearly lying when they said they checked with the league about whether he could play, as this would have been in direct contravention of Playing Condition 11 of our league, which relates to players playing who are obviously far too good for the standard they are playing at and their influence on the result.

Addington actually do possibly have previous on this. In 2008 we played them, and they had a guy who claimed to play for Rawalpindi. I checked Cricket Archive and, unless he was playing under an assumed name, he didn't play FOR Rawalpindi, but played top (ish) level Cricket in the Rawalpindi region. You might be able to guess who it was based on the scorecard:

The Surrey Cricket League - Play-Cricket - Addington 1743 CC - Saturday XI vs Old Isleworthians/Hest CC - 2nd XI

Source: exeweb.com forums - View Single Post - Club Cricket 2011
In our old league (NYSD, but Stockton now play in the NEPL), Castle Eden got thrown out for playing ringers. Not quite top level players, but guys from the first divisions of other regional leagues under false names. They later had the cheek to claim they resigned from the league as they couldn't get promotion. There was no promotion/relegation for any side. The divisions weren't run like that.