• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern era ATGs?

Slifer

International Captain
Imo atg per Country:

Australia

Bradman
O'Reilly
Gilchrist
Warne
Miller
Lillee
McGrath
Chappell

England

Hobbs
Knott
Hutton
Barnes
Sutcliffe
Hammond
Trueman

West Indies

Headley
Lara
Sobers
Viv
Ambrose
Marshall

South Africa

Pollock
Kallis
Steyn
Donald

Pakistan

Wasim
Imran

India

Sunil
Sachin

New Zealand

Hadlee

Sri Lanka

Murali

Numerous players on the cusp including but not limited to: Ponting, Border, Waugh, Davidson, Lindwall, Grimmett, Barrington, Underwood, Javed, Garner, Holding, Sanga, Waqar, Walcott, Dravid, etc

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My Theory on Ponting is that his child ruined him. Children ruin many a career as the player realises there is more to life and loses the ruthless focus needed.
I said this in 2010 and I'll say it now, if you're an international cricketer you might as well just cut your c**k off.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno, Warne and his **** both managed to perform in unison for a decade and a half. It can be done.

watson

Banned
Imo atg per Country:

Australia

Bradman
O'Reilly
Gilchrist
Warne
Miller
Lillee
McGrath
Chappell

England

Hobbs
Knott
Hutton
Barnes
Sutcliffe
Hammond
Trueman

West Indies

Headley
Lara
Sobers
Viv
Ambrose
Marshall

South Africa

Pollock
Kallis
Steyn
Donald

Pakistan

Wasim
Imran

India

Sunil
Sachin

New Zealand

Hadlee

Sri Lanka

Murali

Numerous players on the cusp including but not limited to: Ponting, Border, Waugh, Davidson, Lindwall, Grimmett, Barrington, Underwood, Javed, Garner, Holding, Sanga, Waqar, Walcott, Dravid, etc

I think that it was Jager who started the idea of Gold, Silver and Bronze ‘tier’ ATGs as you would really want to call a batsman like Denis Compton an ATG even though you might not pick him for your England ‘A’ team.

So I don’t think that we need to be overly restrictive or exclusive who we call an ATG because their are plenty of players who deserve the acolade.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My Theory on Ponting is that his child ruined him. Children ruin many a career as the player realises there is more to life and loses the ruthless focus needed.
Last year I went to MathSport International conference and one researcher presented his paper statistically proving that having children severely affect golfers' performances. It was surprising to most people how big the effect is. Batting also requires immense patience specially at the top-most level - so I won't be surprised if there's a similar effect.

Last edited:

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
AB de Villiers- nope
Hashim- Amla nope
Virat Kohli- very good chance, but not there yet
Steven Smith- extremely good chance, but not there yet
Joe Root- unlikely
Kane Williamson- unlikely

Bowlers:

Dale Steyn- hell yes
James Anderson- hell nope
Mitchell Starc- reasonable chance
Kagiso Rabada- good chance
Josh Hazlewood- extremely unlikely
Vernon Philander- not too sure how to rate him. Definitely not ATG currently though.
Trent Boult- clearly greater than all of the other players here combined.
Why would Anderson be a "hell nope" his record after his slow start has been incredible, at home atleast.

Slifer

International Captain
Why would Anderson be a "hell nope" his record after his slow start has been incredible, at home atleast.
Because as explained atg are on the short list for an all time world eleven and more or less sure bets for their country's all time eleven. Courtney Walsh for example is a great but I wouldn't consider him an atg. Walsh>Anderson.

Slifer

International Captain
I think that it was Jager who started the idea of Gold, Silver and Bronze ‘tier’ ATGs as you would really want to call a batsman like Denis Compton an ATG even though you might not pick him for your England ‘A’ team.

So I don’t think that we need to be overly restrictive or exclusive who we call an ATG because their are plenty of players who deserve the acolade.
Everything you said is true. Not going to argue. Teams like Australia and possibly England because they have such a long history have atg who might not make it into their first eleven but would likely make it into many other country's elevens.

Bolo

State Captain
The great bowlers usually have a year or two in which they perform to standards significantly below ATG status. Anderson has had about a decade. Home track bullies are just about automatically excluded from ATG status unless they are also very good away.

He's had a very good career, but is coming to the end of it, and doesn't have a chance of staking a claim to ATG status through good future performances like some of the other guys.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Everything you said is true. Not going to argue. Teams like Australia and possibly England because they have such a long history have atg who might not make it into their first eleven but would likely make it into many other country's elevens.

There are plenty of teams like this. Just about everyone has a number of players that would make Zim or Bangladesh's first team but not their own 7th team. Several countries have 20+ bowling options that would make India's 1st team. I don't think a player can be judged as an ATG based on what country they come from.

AUS and WI would have the most who I would consider ATGs (depending on how tight the definition is) but might fail to make their own lineups. England have a spare opener, and possibly a spare middle order bat or two, but little else.

Johan

U19 12th Man
He's had a very good career, but is coming to the end of it, and doesn't have a chance of staking a claim to ATG status through good future performances like some of the other guys.
he is gonna play till 55 , atleast , he didn't even have half his career done yet.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Answer to this vastly differs depending on your definition of ATG, which varies for everyone.