• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern era ATGs?

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Root is at least as good as Dravid imho. Theoretically that could possibly go either way yet, but think Root is on course to be better than him.
Idk about that. You have to remember that he’s at the peak of his career right now which has only been about 10 years. If he plays as long as Dravid he’ll likely have a decline at the end and end with an average in the 40s. I think all of Kohli, Root, and Williamson will end slightly below the Kallis/Dravid/Younis tier but above the Amla/Clarke/Pietersen tier.

BazBall21

International Regular
Idk about that. You have to remember that he’s at the peak of his career right now which has only been about 10 years. If he plays as long as Dravid he’ll likely have a decline at the end and end with an average in the 40s. I think all of Kohli, Root, and Williamson will end slightly below the Kallis/Dravid/Younis tier but above the Amla/Clarke/Pietersen tier.
Personally think Root is at least as good as Younis too. But yeah no one can read the future so can’t really guarantee Root will end up better yet.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root has played 9 years, those guys played 16+ years. Massive difference. Same for Barrington and Miandad.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Personally think Root is at least as good as Younis too. But yeah no one can read the future so can’t really guarantee Root will end up better yet.
Perhaps at his best, but can’t really say any of the current guys are as good career wise as Younis until they play for 15 years or so.

BazBall21

International Regular
Perhaps at his best, but can’t really say any of the current guys are as good career wise as Younis until they play for 15 years or so.
Yeah I can live with it being inconclusive as of now. I think he’s probably a better player than both, but could be wrong and he ends up below them.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
I think Root is doing better than many batsman keeping in mind we are not witnessing mammoth totals like we became used to back in 2000s and suddenly popped up many batsmen who were scoring with an career average of 55, these days maintaining an average even of 50 has become quite difficult and i guess only three batsman have it,,, considering the difference between the eras it's a huge purple patch that Root has hit

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I mean Kohli was on course to be the clear second best bat just 24 months back. And Root was the dude who couldn’t convert. Things change quickly.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
I mean Kohli was on course to be the clear second best bat just 24 months back. And Root was the dude who couldn’t convert. Things change quickly.
Yeah this is why I find it very silly to compare players who are in the middle of their careers to guys who have longer completed careers. Things can change very quickly. Kohli was being compared to Ponting during his peak and now he’ll probably end up a tier below.

Kirkut

International Regular
Among bowlers, Pat Cummins will be an ATG for sure.

Bumrah, provided he maintains the consistency till 50 tests at the very least.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this is why I find it very silly to compare players who are in the middle of their careers to guys who have longer completed careers. Things can change very quickly. Kohli was being compared to Ponting during his peak and now he’ll probably end up a tier below.
Yes exactly. People like to say longevity is overrated but this is exactly why it's important. Kohli's had a great career but when players are in their prime people just assume they'll continue to be that good for 10 years when only a rare few manage it.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Yes exactly. People like to say longevity is overrated but this is exactly why it's important. Kohli's had a great career but when players are in their prime people just assume they'll continue to be that good for 10 years when only a rare few manage it.
In my opinion, players with great longevity usually get massively underrated because their career statistics never show how good they were for most of their career.

Someone like Tendulkar is a good example of this. He has an 18 year stretch averaging 59 overall and 61 away from home. This 18 year stretch is longer than most other ATG batsmen’s careers (Viv - 17, Lara - 15, Gavaskar - 16, Chappell - 13, Ponting - 17, Sangakkara - 15).

For bowlers, this would apply to guys like Imran and Wasim.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
True, that is why I rate Anderson as an ATG. There are tier 2 bowlers like Ryan Harris who blew away batting lineups with pure pace which Anderson never did even at his peak, but that kind of fitness at 40 when probably even Imran Khan lost pace is commendable.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
True, that is why I rate Anderson as an ATG. There are tier 2 bowlers like Ryan Harris who blew away batting lineups with pure pace which Anderson never did even at his peak, but that kind of fitness at 40 when probably even Imran Khan lost pace is commendable.
Yeah, agree with this. No doubt Anderson's been managed better than any seamer in history, but that doesn't preclude him from having to work immensely hard at fitness during all the off-time he gets. There are so many chronic bugs that develop by the time you hit 40 and I'm sure he has his fair share but for the overwhelming part he's still as lithe and athletic, in his action and on the field, as he was ten years ago. Still hitting mid-80s in his opening spells, never dropping below 80 after a hard day's work, the guy is a legit marathoner.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Rabada has also been terrible in Asia in his career so far, except for maybe 1 okay match in SL.