• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern era ATGs?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Once again, Barrington is grossly underrated on CW. "Of players with a completed career, only Don Bradman with his average of 99.94 made more than Barrington's 6,806 Test runs at a higher average." His performances in Ashes series were outstanding, averaging 63.97 overall and 69.73 on Australian soil. He averaged over 50 in every country except West Indies where his 44.25 was still a cut above most.
In 1967 he averaged 93.75 in 10 Test innings but, sadly, a heart attack the following year forced his retirement when he was at his prime.
CW members down-grade his performances because of his defensive style but those long, defensive innings were characterised by bulldog determination and awesome concentration. Despite his dour reputation, Barrington held the record for bringing up the most Test centuries with a six untilhis record was broken by another ATG in Sachin TEndulkar.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Once again, Barrington is grossly underrated on CW. "Of players with a completed career, only Don Bradman with his average of 99.94 made more than Barrington's 6,806 Test runs at a higher average." His performances in Ashes series were outstanding, averaging 63.97 overall and 69.73 on Australian soil. He averaged over 50 in every country except West Indies where his 44.25 was still a cut above most.
In 1967 he averaged 93.75 in 10 Test innings but, sadly, a heart attack the following year forced his retirement when he was at his prime.
CW members down-grade his performances because of his defensive style but those long, defensive innings were characterised by bulldog determination and awesome concentration. Despite his dour reputation, Barrington held the record for bringing up the most Test centuries with a six untilhis record was broken by another ATG in Sachin TEndulkar.
iirc he was a more attacking player in his youth but after being dropped in 55 changed his style, clearly worked for him.

BazBall21

International Regular
Wish I watched him live, one of England’s best ever players. Great overseas record. Tragic that he died at quite a young age.

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Of the current players, Smith and Jimmy would be classified as ATG if they quit playing tomorrow. I know jimmy’s record is far from perfect but I value longevity more than some other folks.

There are few others on their way but need to keep doing it for few more years.

Chrish

International Debutant
Root’s record against Australia leaves much to be desired. He has two or three Ashes left so plenty of opportunity to rectify it; but if he doesn’t then hard to rate an English player with that kind of record against Australia.

BazBall21

International Regular
Root’s record against Australia leaves much to be desired. He has two or three Ashes left so plenty of opportunity to rectify it; but if he doesn’t then hard to rate an English player with that kind of record against Australia.
Ponting in in India is worse than Root in Australia. Both don’t have many genuine holes beyond that.

Chrish

International Debutant
Ponting in in India is worse than Root in Australia. Both don’t have many genuine holes beyond that.
Ponting averages 40+ against each opposition though. And his record in india is why many fans consider him to be in a tier below Lara/ Tendy.

Root averaged poorly in Australia when wickets over there were some of the flattest seen in history. There isn’t much of an excuse. He also averages 39 in Nz but I am willing to look past that since his overall average against them is fine.

BazBall21

International Regular
Ponting averages 40+ against each opposition though. And his record in india is why many fans consider him to be in a tier below Lara/ Tendy.

Root averaged poorly in Australia when wickets over there were some of the flattest seen in history. There isn’t much of an excuse. He also averages 39 in Nz but I am willing to look past that since his overall average against them is fine.
Every team that Root has played at least 3 tests against, in other words the top 8 teams except England of course, Root averages 50+ except Australia who he averages 39 against which is hardly terrible.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Most ATGs have holes in their record. Both Root and Williamson can end up as ATGs even with a few holes in their record.

Players don’t have to be perfect like Tendulkar or Smith to be an ATG imo.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Most ATGs have holes in their record. Both Root and Williamson can end up as ATGs even with a few holes in their record.

Players don’t have to be perfect like Tendulkar or Smith to be an ATG imo.
Williamson seems to have a **** ton of holes in his record compared to root with just 1 ( which he would most likely fix next English Ashes )

BazBall21

International Regular
Root is at least as good as Dravid imho. Theoretically that could possibly go either way yet, but think Root is on course to be better than him.

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah he has a higher ceiling than Dravid at this point.

Also, considering current bowling friendly era, we perhaps should re-evaluate the current definition of ATG. Yesterday’s average of 50 might be equivalent of 47-48 today.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Williamson seems to have a **** ton of holes in his record compared to root with just 1 ( which he would most likely fix next English Ashes )
Nah the only holes for me are his records in India and England. He’s barely played in Sri Lanka and South Africa. I’m sure he’ll fix it by the end of his career.

Root’s record against India and New Zealand is outstanding so I rate him slightly higher.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Nah the only holes for me are his records in India and England. He’s barely played in Sri Lanka and South Africa. I’m sure he’ll fix it by the end of his career.

Root’s record against India and New Zealand is outstanding so I rate him slightly higher.
we'll see how it goes , the collective average of 32.71 in Aus/Ind/Eng/Sa/Sl doesn't look that good for now