• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Starc out of ashes

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitch Johnson is the ****ty boyfriend of Australian Cricket. We got together and at the start things were great, but then a few cracks appear. But it's just an accident, he's under a lot of stress - he's not like that most of the time, we swear. But soon the flowers and the chocolates are few and far between. It's pretty obvious to everyone that he's bad news, but we still can't see it. Remember those first few dates? They were great.

After a while though, to everyone's relief, we finally come to realise that we're better off without him. Finally, after years of anguish and false hopes, we get rid of him for good. Things are looking up; we've got a new lease on life. But his replacements start to falter a bit after a while. Suddenly we're lonely again, and we get to thinking; you know what... Maybe Mitch wasn't that bad after all. It was really nice when he surprised us with those flowers and chocolates. I mean, it was Valentine's Day so he pretty much had to, but still. And everytime we stalk him on Facebook he seems to be doing pretty well.
We're not still talking about Mitchell Johnson here are we Andy...........

:p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Aussie conditioning staff really want killing tho, don't they?

I know stress fractures are an occupational hazard for quicks, especially tyros who maybe haven't finished growing, but now literally every great white hope of Australian seam is out with a back injury.

To paraphrase Lady Bracknell, to lose one seamer to a stress fracture might be considered unfortunate, two begins to look like carelessness.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
blah blah blah young seamers are valuable to this sort of stuff blah blah blah our young seamers are being exposed to international cricket at a rate not really seen before as well as being expected to be regular players blah blah blah

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I liked Bird, Hazelwood's ok. Johnson at least has some pace that can worry the poms, really the only thing going for him over the others.
Sidds, Harris, Bird and Patto. is what I'd prefer than Lyon. But that won't happen. So take out Bird if Patto's not fit

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If we're looking at a hierarchy of Australian quicks, it would be something like this IMO:

Harris
Pattinson
Siddle
Starc
Cummins
Bird
Hazlewood
Faulkner
Sayers
Copeland
Hilfenhaus
Coulter-Nile
Cutting
Butterworth
Johnson

We genuinely do not need to revert to Johnson - I would happily take any three of those 14 paceman listed before Mitch.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So that's three stress fractures to the back that seamers got this series, Bird getting a sore one, plus Cummins doing his in SA, right?

It really is horrific.

If Patto isn't fit for the Gabba, my three would be; Harris, Bird & Siddle. Not really sure who the back up would be, might be early season Shield form dependent.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If we're looking at a hierarchy of Australian quicks, it would be something like this IMO:

Harris
Pattinson
Siddle
Starc
Cummins
Bird
Hazlewood
Faulkner
Sayers
Copeland
Hilfenhaus
Coulter-Nile
Cutting
Butterworth
Johnson

We genuinely do not need to revert to Johnson - I would happily take any three of those 14 paceman listed before Mitch.
Did Johnson play in India? Because otherwise there's no justification for him being so low?

Spikey

Harris
Pattinson
Siddle
Starc
Cummins
Bird
Hazlewood
Faulkner
Sayers
Copeland
Hilfenhaus
Coulter-Nile
Cutting
Butterworth
Johnson

Nah by the point you get to NCN and Cutting Johnson should clearly be in front

Howe_zat

Audio File
That's a blow for the early series in particular, considering how reverse swing has been the only weapon left at Brisbane and Adelaide.

~

Dan's really pushing by the time he gets to Copeland, never mind people who've never played for Aus in any format.

Is Mark Cameron dead?

Liked the cut of his jib when he got a go for the "A" side on our last tour.
Got injured and then never got back into the Shield, last I heard.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Has Dougie Bollinger left cricket now too? The list is remarkable.

Fwiw I'd pick John Hastings

Last edited:

Spikey

Dougie's still around but his cards have probably been marked. The injures to Starc and Cummins does mean he'll probably play for NSW in the pre-Ashes shield matches though so I guess you never know (whereas if Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Sandhu, Copeland, Bollinger plus the spinner Lyon had all been fit he probably would have been in the firing line simply because his cards have been marked.)

Luke Feldman forever btw

Uppercut

I liked Bird, Hazelwood's ok. Johnson at least has some pace that can worry the poms, really the only thing going for him over the others.
It hasn't worried them very often before. One of the problems with Johnson in the Ashes is that his particular brand of poo is the poo of choice for most English batsmen. Starc got away with non-existent accuracy to some extent because when he got it wrong he was going too full and wide or down the leg side. Johnson sometimes bowls exactly where you'd bowl to Cook if you were an undercover pom- short and wide with plenty of pace to work with.

I think he should play at the WACA but not anywhere else unless you're really, really scraping the barrel. Definitely not ahead of Bird.