• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Missed Milestones

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mark Ramprakash not playing enough tests.
To be fair he did play over 50 tests. If he'd have done better he'd have played more tho, no doubt.

Mine are fairly parochial:

- Alec Stewart ending up with a test avearge below 40
- Nasser Hussain not playing 100 tests (although he probably went out with more credit for pulling the plug when he did)
- Bob Willis failing to take ten wickets in a test match

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ian Healy not getting 400 dismissals.
Warne not getting a test century.
Gilly not scoring a OD double.
Bradman not averaging 100 (obv.)
And yes, I AM biased!

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Even more comical that the ball he was dismissed for on 99 should have been a no-ball, as Richardson overstepped
Pretty impressive that he managed to bowl the ball and catch it near the fence too. That slow-poke race of his, all an act.

Burgey

Jack Hobbs getting 197 rather than 200 First-Class centuries.

And no, he didn't get 199.
Thoroughly deserved 200.

Also, Bradman not averaging 100, though the legend is probably more romantic for his last innings duck.

Precambrian

Banned
Inzy missing out narrowly on becoming the highest run aggregate by a Pakistan batsman.

SA's 'ties' in successive world cups preventing them from the final stage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's only because Herschelle Gibbs is a forgetful clown, and the other fellow whose name escapes me was crap anyway.
Henry Williams? :blink: Nah, he was a damn good ODI bowler. In the match in question, though, he was injured in his second over so could not influence the game in any way.

In any case that's merely the only known specific instance - I'm sure there were others. What I wonder is how often he tried and failed to influence the result.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even more comical that the ball he was dismissed for on 99 should have been a no-ball, as Richardson overstepped
Vettori. And I had zero sympathy for him as NZ had already dropped him at least twice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thoroughly deserved 200.

Also, Bradman not averaging 100, though the legend is probably more romantic for his last innings duck.
It is for mine, beyond question. But Hobbs I think would probably be more famous with, say, 201 than 197. I often wonder whether people's attempts to manufacture 2 extra First-Class games into his record to put his century tally up to 199 has anything to do with trying to Bradmanise something of his.

Precambrian

Banned
It is for mine, beyond question. But Hobbs I think would probably be more famous with, say, 201 than 197. I often wonder whether people's attempts to manufacture 2 extra First-Class games into his record to put his century tally up to 199 has anything to do with trying to Bradmanise something of his.

197 is truly Hobbsy! Adding 2 won't make it more err... romantic!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Which games were these Richard? Excuse my ignorance.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
From a Pakistani perspective:

*Saeed Anwar missing out on his ODI double.
*Inzamam missing out on becoming Pakistan's highest scoring Test batsman by something like 3 runs.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Martyn missing out (97) on scoring a century in each innings in a test match and also scoring three test centuries in consecutive innings (not achieved by an Australian since Bradman)

bryce

International Regular
haha yeah 'course vettori bowled it:wallbash: Brian McMillan 1 ODI century(127) and 0 50's in 72 matches:blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All the 100's Slater missed out on because of his nerves.
Yeah it generally annoys me seeing batsmen dismissed in the 90s, and when people make as much of a habit as Slater and Stephen Waugh did, particularly so.

Especially given how much store people set - unfairly - by centuries.

Swervy

International Captain
Yeah it generally annoys me seeing batsmen dismissed in the 90s, and when people make as much of a habit as Slater and Stephen Waugh did, particularly so.

Especially given how much store people set - unfairly - by centuries.
If you see it as unfair that the public make a big fuss over centuries, then why does it annoy you that batsmen get out in the 90s, surely you shouldn't care.

its not as though anyone thinks less of Stevie Waugh because he got out in the 90s a few times