• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Missed Milestones

bagapath

International Captain
Derek Underwood finishing with 297 wickets was quite painful. at least "billy" mcdermott chose to stop at 291 on his own. underwood, on the other hand, badly wanted the milestone but was denied the opportunity. the spinners who came after him for england, emburey and edmonds, were no patch on him.i still feel bad about this injustice!

gilchrist missing the fastest test century by a mere couple of deliveries was also a very close call.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I often wonder how many Test wickets Underwood would have got but for WSC.

And how many he'd have got had wickets not become covered (and had WSC and Rebel tours not happened) doesn't bear thinking about. Murali and Warne might well have been overtaking him, not Courtney Walsh, if that'd been the case.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you see it as unfair that the public make a big fuss over centuries, then why does it annoy you that batsmen get out in the 90s, surely you shouldn't care.
It annoys me because then people sometimes (not always) think that someone who made 104 has done enormously better than one who made 95, when in reality the difference is almost always nothing.

It doesn't impact upon how I rate batsmen, but it sometimes does on how others do. When others get it wrong (ie, don't look at things the way I do :D) that's irritating, as you may have noticed.
its not as though anyone thinks less of Stevie Waugh because he got out in the 90s a few times
How do you know? How do you know how different it might have been had he converted the lot of them? You don't, because it didn't happen. All you know is that he was still a magnificent batsman even with those little blips.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah what was annoying about Gilchrist's was that it was a very wide ball from Hoggard so there was nothing much he could do. Not like he just mucked up the shot.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah what was annoying about Gilchrist's was that it was a very wide ball from Hoggard so there was nothing much he could do. Not like he just mucked up the shot.
Yeah, I remember yelling abuse at Hoggard (well, the TV) when it happened. Easily the most memorable innings I've seen.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Damian Fleming misses out on his 2nd Test hattrick as Shane Warne dropped a catch at first slip.

Only Trumble, Matthews and Akram have 2 Test Hattricks.

bagapath

International Captain
In 1990, sachin got out for 88 in new zealand. 12 more runs would have made him the youngest cricketer to score a test century.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
One of my all-time favourite deliveries, that :ph34r:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's you that deserves the Rolleyes for that comment TBH.
How? I got caught up in the moment of my favourite ever player about to break the record for the fastest Test century and then Hoggard bowls a wide, denying him the opportunity. I'm not saying Hoggard should've bowled a full-toss or anything, but I still thought it was poor form to bowl that wide. But I was venting my frustration at Gilchrist missing out moreso than Hoggard's bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As a bowler your principal job is to stop batsmen scoring runs. You must do whatever you can in order to do that. I don't think it's poor form to do your job.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it was as bad as when Pat Symcox tried to bowl a wide that went for 4 to stop Nathan Astle getting a ton before NZ got to the target in an ODI here once.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradman's 299* is one I can think of. Laker missing out on 20 wickets in a test by a wicket is another

Border not getting a series win over the Windies is something among the same lines too

Swervy

International Captain
It annoys me because then people sometimes (not always) think that someone who made 104 has done enormously better than one who made 95, when in reality the difference is almost always nothing.

It doesn't impact upon how I rate batsmen, but it sometimes does on how others do. When others get it wrong (ie, don't look at things the way I do :D) that's irritating, as you may have noticed.

How do you know? How do you know how different it might have been had he converted the lot of them? You don't, because it didn't happen. All you know is that he was still a magnificent batsman even with those little blips.
you know best

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And giving up extras so the other guy can't break a record is doing your job?
Like Alok Kapali did with the Herschelle Gibbs five-wides in 2002/03?

Look I won't deny that that was a bit underhand, and naturally he's always denied doing it deliberately (dubious TSTL). But how on Earth is bowling a ball that's difficult to score off when a batsman is scoring exceptionally quickly anything other than doing your job?

Last edited: