• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe vs Allan Border

Martin Crowe vs Allan Border

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
Martin Crowe was a master batsman. Technically correct. Dominant. Attacking. Stylish. Big match temperament. Faced the greatest of fast bowlers with courage. Greater the challenge, greater his response would be. A true giant of his era.

And he was half as good as Allan Border.

Indipper

State Regular
Crowe was best in the world for one test against Australia in 85-86 at the Gabba (glorious knock tbf). Border was best in the world for the best part of a decade. The world's greatest post-WW2 cricketer by a mile.
Sometimes I wonder if your posts are all in-character but then you post something like this and remove all doubts. Sloppy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What was bradman’s post war cricketing contribution compared with Border’s ffs? The only players who come close to Border post-war are Imran and arguably Sobers. Worrell too, though he wasn’t the player either of the other three were.

No one carried and rebuilt a side around him like Border. No one. He didn’t pick and choose which tours to go on, didn’t resign and take back the captaincy when it suited him, barely if ever had a rubbish series without contributing. He dragged them from virtual minnows to all but top of the tree by force of will.

James

Cricket Web Owner
No more so than we know it was Jimmy Neesham. The mods quietly confirmed that it all appeared legit.
It was 100% Crowe. I talked to him via email in an attempt to get him to return but unfortunately he wouldn't. His email address confirmed it beyond any shadow of doubt.

On topic with the thread, my vote goes to Crowe. Still the most technically gifted batsman I've ever seen, and was just a pleasure to watch. My boyhood hero.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
What was bradman’s post war cricketing contribution compared with Border’s ffs? The only players who come close to Border post-war are Imran and arguably Sobers. Worrell too, though he wasn’t the player either of the other three were.

No one carried and rebuilt a side around him like Border. No one. He didn’t pick and choose which tours to go on, didn’t resign and take back the captaincy when it suited him, barely if ever had a rubbish series without contributing. He dragged them from virtual minnows to all but top of the tree by force of will.
Abso****inglutely

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it's not like Clive Lloyd built the edifice of annihilation from the ghost of a spin attack or anything.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m pretty sure the level of talent Clive had at his disposal from 76 onwards usurped anything Border had, certainly anything he had between 84 and 89.

It’s hard to make direct comparisons, but broadly speaking I’d *just* put Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Rowe, Kallacharan, Murray, Holding, Roberts, Garner and Croft (roughly the 77-80 WI) slightly ahead of Wood, Hilditch, Wessels, Ritchie, Matthews, Dyer/ Zoehrer, Hughes, Lawson, McDermott and Dutchy Holland (roughly the 84-87 Australian side).