• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

Flem274*

123/5
trundler buddy i like you and i respect your attempts to wind people up but if you start putting jack 'bowled to bradman and actually got him out cheap' cowie to a duke ball bully like anderson then we're gonna have problems.

thierry henry

International Coach
Not sure Mills makes the NZ all-time ODI XI. Of course, had the selectors allowed him to Old Man River his way to 2015 World Cup Player of the Tournament (which would have happened) he would be in there over Boult, but alas....

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
trundler buddy i like you and i respect your attempts to wind people up but if you start putting jack 'bowled to bradman and actually got him out cheap' cowie to a duke ball bully like anderson then we're gonna have problems.
Nah I respect Cowie too but I got hung up on the 'country great' reasoning. I don't think BD are past making allowances for guys who are BD greats rather than strictly ATG. It's probably a moot point and I'm not expressing myself while

Howsie

International Captain
Not sure Mills makes the NZ all-time ODI XI. Of course, had the selectors allowed him to Old Man River his way to 2015 World Cup Player of the Tournament (which would have happened) he would be in there over Boult, but alas....
Of course he doesn’t. Bond, Boult and Hadlee are all ahead of him comfortably.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can also add Matthew Fleming, Dougie Brown, Adam Hollioake and maybe Mark Ealham to their number, although Ealham was probably a bit better than that and had a game more suited to the longer format.
Yeah I reckon Mark Ealham makes it as a guy. He feels so of his time though, I just can't imagine him existing today.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Dean Headley probably? Obviously a very respectable bowler and did bowl England to victory at the MCG, but even during his time (1997-1999) he'd probably be behind Gough, Cork, Fraser, and Caddick and possibly just above Mullally.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dean Headley probably? Obviously a very respectable bowler and did bowl England to victory at the MCG, but even during his time (1997-1999) he'd probably be behind Gough, Cork, Fraser, and Caddick and possibly just above Mullally.
Headley was just a wee bit too good for complete guyhood, IMHO.

Of the chaps you list I'd say only Gus was unequivocally a better bowler. Cases can be made for the others (save Mullally), but really he was disadvantaged most by being largely made of papier mâché.

Cork and Gough were better bats too.

Peter Martin a better 90s candidate. 8 tests and 20 ODIs spread over three years and occasional flashes of quality aside, never quite made the leap from estimable Lancs stalwart (and useful lower order bat; 2 FC centuries in his time) to genuine international bowler despite having all the raw materials there (decent height, good control, quick enough, swung it when conditions favoured him).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anthony McGrath!

I remember watching his debut match as a kid, I thought he has to be a good player because he is a "McGrath". Saw him bowl a couple of deliveries and realised he was more of an "Irani", cricketing skill wise.
Being a Yorkshireman and understanding the value of each letter he pronounced his surname as "ma-graff" rather than the "ma-grah" favoured by the sometime Aussie chancer he shared it with.

But yeah, weirdest career. 50 years from now some stats obsessed kid is going to wonder how a chap with a batting average of 40 and a bowling average of 14 only got 4 tests.

In another universe he might've had the career Collingwood did.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
For NZ, yeah.

I put Howsie at about my age or there abouts, at least in his 30s...I can't believe he lived through Kyle's career and can't see the relevance and importance of how Millsy performed in Chappell-Hadlee, Commonwealth Series, Champions Trophies etc. Yeah they're not World Cups but his performances in those were outstanding. He was very good against Australia, over there too. His record in the sub-continent is impeccable. He was a new ball beast. And so what if he wasn't good at the death? They used him incorrectly, I harped on for the entirety of the career that they should bowl his 10 up front and find someone else to do the death work. From the time he almost let Pollock take 26 or so off a final over in Wellington to the end, it never suited him. He was best bowling his natural hard back of a length.

Surely World Cup performances are only relevant if you're fit to play in them. He was primed to do so in 2007 and 2011, and got injured (something that actually didn't happen that much in his career). And yes, I was one of the ones who advocated for him over Trent Boult in 2015. I get it wrong sometimes.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel as if we’re getting away from the true definition of a ‘guy’. There’s a lot of random 3-4 capped players who did basically nothing - Slim’s definition seemed to be that the player had to have had a small peak or a wildly successful game, but then faded to oblivion.