• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli stands down as Test captain

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Serious question: is Rohit considered some kind of tactical genius? Ppl seem to think him an upgrade on Kohli...based on what, the IPL titles? Certainly doesn't have much of a poker face when the going's tough in the field.
Kohli is/was a fantastic test captain. He's also a very mediocre LO captain.

Rohit is a huge upgrade (big call but hey) on Kohli as a LO captain. No idea about tests.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Serious question: is Rohit considered some kind of tactical genius? Ppl seem to think him an upgrade on Kohli...based on what, the IPL titles? Certainly doesn't have much of a poker face when the going's tough in the field.
Rohit is the popular choice, for the board, the players, much like people prefer butter.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suspect all that screaming into a stump mic was Kholi auditioning for a commentator's spot when his career is done. Standing down as captain is the first step in this direction.

Chrish

International Debutant
The biggest loss with Kohli not being captain might not even be the on field results tbh, I'm always a bit meh on how much it actually affects outcomes in a 5 day game. But Kohli quite obviously valued test cricket in a way that I dont think his predecessor did or the upcoming captains (Rohit/Rahul etc) will. Was a pleasant change after Dhoni tbh.
He valued test cricket more than anything else even before he became top class test batsman. He was already gun in odi/ t 20. If it were his predecessors, they would have hyped the formats they are good at and downplayed the importance of test.

definitely played instrumental role in creating more interest of test cricket in Indian fans. He has my respect.

Jfry

U19 Debutant
Surely even when non the captain Kohli will remain the key leader in the team. Not like Smith being vice captain for example as Kohli has a much stronger personality.

Chrish

International Debutant
I think he should feel content regardless of what happens from here. Under his leadership team become no. 1. Possibly had the most dominant home victory patch of all teams. Won away series in Australia which we could only dream of before he took over. “Drew” last series in England. While all this was happening, he has also become the richest cricketer on globe.

I think he will sleep happy..

subshakerz

International Coach
Kohli is/was a fantastic test captain. He's also a very mediocre LO captain.

Rohit is a huge upgrade (big call but hey) on Kohli as a LO captain. No idea about tests.
Mediocre is a bit much. His India in LOIs were a pretty efficient outfit, albeit a chocking one.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'd argue that joe root is not a test captain either and is in fact an abject failure so really it's just kane
I feel kinda bad for Joe Root.

He’s more of a kid at heart and obviously a brilliant batsman. Was forced to take up the job pretty much due to a lack of options and now looks like he’s aged 30 years from when he first came on. He’d gladly give it up even now but there’s literally no one else to take it from him.

Poor guy.

Still has questions to answer mind.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I feel kinda bad for Joe Root.

He’s more of a kid at heart and obviously a brilliant batsman. Was forced to take up the job pretty much due to a lack of options and now looks like he’s aged 30 years from when he first came on. He’d gladly give it up even now but there’s literally no one else to take it from him.

Poor guy.

Still has questions to answer mind.
i do not disagree with anything in your second paragraph however he’s english and you gotta remember after the centuries of brutal colonialism mocking them is never a punch down

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Terribly Sad Day.

RIP Indian Test Cricket!

Back to the glory days of 4-nil / 3-nil in overseas tours, (before BCCI ends up deciding to pull out of FTP several yrs down the line)

Don’t feel inclined to follow anymore without Kohli as Captain (and without Shastri either). This is terrible news.

I can see IPL taking so much more precedence going forward. It’s already been permanently expanded to 10 teams from this year and no. of games have increased from 60 to 94 per season.

And don’t be surprised if Kohli retires from international cricket, including Test Cricket in around 2 years, after 2023 World Cup. In fact, I think it’s more likely than not that he retires by 2023/2024.

**** off BCCI. You have too much control. I can totally see you ending India’s participation in ‘regular International cricket’ in less than a decade, in order to radically expand franchise cricket. If BCCI can boot/finish Kohli like this, they can do anything.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
Terribly Sad Day.

RIP Indian Test Cricket!

Back to the glory days of 4-nil / 3-nil in overseas tours, (before BCCI ends up deciding to pull out of FTP several yrs down the line)

Don’t feel inclined to follow anymore without Kohli as Captain (and without Shastri either). This is terrible news.

I can see IPL taking so much more precedence going forward. It’s already been permanently expanded to 10 teams from this year and no. of games have increased from 60 to 94 per season.

And don’t be surprised if Kohli retires from international cricket, including Test Cricket in around 2 years, after 2023 World Cup. In fact, I think it’s more likely than not that he retires by 2023/2024.

**** off BCCI. You have too much control. I can totally see you ending India’s participation in ‘regular International cricket’ in less than a decade, in order to radically expand franchise cricket.
lol have a sook bro