• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli stands down as Test captain

smash84

The Tiger King
Great test captain, 2 series wins in Australia is exceptional and made Indian team a dangerous side in all conditions.

Here's hoping that he sticks around a few more years and dazzles us with some of the wonderful stroke play that we've seen from him over the years.

slippy888

International Captain
Great test captain, 2 series wins in Australia is exceptional and made Indian team a dangerous side in all conditions.

Here's hoping that he sticks around a few more years and dazzles us with some of the wonderful stroke play that we've seen from him over the years.

he was not even captain for 2nd series apart from the first test match are you high :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa ends another captain
Its pretty weird because this series while very disappointing hardly felt like a disaster/ captaincy deathknell. The fact he didnt even want to stick around to finish the England series (if it even happens) is odd af. He's probably just exhausted, and Shastri leaving didnt help.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man deserves a rest. Hope he tweets from an infinity pool in Maldives while BCCI scrambles for a half decent replacement who can actually play all the tests (Hint: Rohit isn't fit enough)

Niall

International Coach
Rohit probably should be test captain for the next 18 months and then who knows?

I am hugely skeptical of Rahul as captain but maybe he might have figured it out by then,,,,I also think Iyer has captaincy experience? Obviously that's a massive call but their isn't many obvious options.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Kohli was a pretty good captain I reckon. He brought the aggression to this Indian side we haven’t seen much of before. He really backed his players and the bowlers mainly. And his team never backed down from the sledging

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The biggest loss with Kohli not being captain might not even be the on field results tbh, I'm always a bit meh on how much it actually affects outcomes in a 5 day game. But Kohli quite obviously valued test cricket in a way that I dont think his predecessor did or the upcoming captains (Rohit/Rahul etc) will. Was a pleasant change after Dhoni tbh.

Kirkut

International Regular
i loved ****ting on him but he was the perfect test captain for us after dhoni's incompetent test captaincy away from home

i am pretty sure he is going to be dominant this year or the next and have a run for a year or two that'd make the writers go "King Kohli!" again

but for ****'s sake DO NOT make rahul the test captain

if bcci do not want to eat their own words from recent times, make rahul t20 captain while rohit becomes test and ODI captain. no one cares about international t20s
Age wise I guess KLPD Rahul is a better option than Nohit. Nohit will near mid 30s soon and his hand eye coordination will diminish, KLPD is relatively younger and has a better technique.

Shri

Mr. Glass
KLPD only played in eng/sa because gill was injured

the most uninspiring person in the squad

? :sleep: ? is his ****ing celebration and attitude

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jaffer is excellent value on Twitter. Guy seems more soft spoken and bland in interviews and commentary/analysis stuff but absolute gold on Twitter. Hoping he creates an account here and posts, tbh. :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm always a bit meh on how much it actually affects outcomes in a 5 day game. But Kohli quite obviously valued test cricket in a way that I dont think his predecessor did or the upcoming captains (Rohit/Rahul etc) will. Was a pleasant change after Dhoni tbh.
I think this is what a lot of us meant when we talk about passion and energy etc. Especially since he took over from MS where we often saw that he gave it like one shot for the first 2 days or so and if things did not go to plan, he just went through the motions a bit, especially in his last 2 years. I think we saw that a bit with Rahul and even Rahane at times in Kanpur. Its one of those things whose value we will only truly realize when its gone.

I have seen many comments saying its "cringey" or "suck ups" etc. when people talk about his passion for test cricket and how great it is for the game itself. But I think we will slowly see why it actually was a big thing. I am sure there is a part of the groups who make such comments who are basically bandwagoning but there are many who actually believe that - folks like Nasser Hussain or Shane Warne, for all their faults, they do understand why it is important that Virat and India value test cricket. If nothing else, if he leaves behind a legacy where test cricket and results are still considered at the same prestige, he would have done greater service for cricket than almost any other Indian player I have seen, and maybe even any other player I have ever seen.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Serious question: is Rohit considered some kind of tactical genius? Ppl seem to think him an upgrade on Kohli...based on what, the IPL titles? Certainly doesn't have much of a poker face when the going's tough in the field.