• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli stands down as Test captain

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
lol have a sook bro
This is whats gonna happen.

India will stop giving a **** about test cricket once they start losing like middle table sides, which I can see happen in 4-5 years.

Once the Indian public loses interest in Tests, franchise cricket will be radically expanded as money is all that matters in the end. FTP will be booted by India and will play whoever they wish to (through bi-lateral negotiations) and ‘whenever it is feasible’

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Terribly Sad Day.

RIP Indian Test Cricket!

Back to the glory days of 4-nil / 3-nil in overseas tours, (before BCCI ends up deciding to pull out of FTP several yrs down the line)

Don’t feel inclined to follow anymore without Kohli as Captain (and without Shastri either). This is terrible news.

I can see IPL taking so much more precedence going forward. It’s already been permanently expanded to 10 teams from this year and no. of games have increased from 60 to 94 per season.

And don’t be surprised if Kohli retires from international cricket, including Test Cricket in around 2 years, after 2023 World Cup. In fact, I think it’s more likely than not that he retires by 2023/2024.

**** off BCCI. You have too much control. I can totally see you ending India’s participation in ‘regular International cricket’ in less than a decade, in order to radically expand franchise cricket. If BCCI can boot/finish Kohli like this, they can do anything.
This is whats gonna happen.

India will stop giving a **** about test cricket once they start losing like middle table sides, which I can see happen in the next 4-5 years.

Once the Indian public loses interest in Tests, franchise cricket will be radically expanded as money is all that matters in the end. FTP will be booted by India and will play whoever they wish to (through bi-lateral agreement) and ‘whenever it is feasible’
Not overreacting at all :blink:

cnerd123

likes this

Direct link since embedding doesn't seem to be working.

Kimber with the goods again. Basically talks about how all the praise/criticism heaped on captains is largely misguided, and how in modern day professional cricket the Captain isn't the all mighty leader that so many fans and pundits think they are.

What he also points out, that I've stated before here, is how the captain is the 'Face' of the team and does play quite a role in setting the culture and ~vibes of the side. This is perhaps their most important job, and I think Kohli had his pros and cons here. Definite love for Test cricket and a passion to succeed in it. He had a real ability to fire up the team, he instilled a good work ethic and fitness culture in the side, and I think he handled the pressures that come with being captain very well. Many men haven't enjoyed the burden of Indian captaincy, including greats like Sachin and Dravid, but Kohli lived for it and carried it with pride. Lots of respect for that.

But I think his petulance, meltdowns in the field, and general beefing with the media and administration did not make him a good representation of the team. I won't be surprised if he was nudged to step down after what transpired at Newlands. I think it's the right time for him to call and end to his captaincy career, and to focus on his batting. He's only got a few more years left at the top level and we need his runs more than ever.

This does leave quite a bit of a leadership vacuum in the side, and with Pujara and Rahane likely to transition out, along with guys like Ashwin/Jadeja/Ishant/Rohit all ageing too, we could be in for a bit of a transition phase during the current WTC, WC and WT20 cycles. Going to be very interesting to see how the selectors handles this, and how Dravid manages the team through it.

Oh and @Spark is going to enjoy Kimber's use of the word 'content' here.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In 3-4 years time, India team will not have Rohit, Pujara, Kohli, Shami, Yadav, Ishant, Ashwin, Jadeja, I don’t see how India will get anywhere close to top 3 again. I don’t see quality test batting prospects coming through, nor spinners or fast bowlers. There is going to be a big void. Bcci will take advantage of the situation and turn attention to franchise cricket.

TheJediBrah

In 3-4 years time, India team will not have Rohit, Pujara, Kohli, Shami, Yadav, Ishant, Ashwin, Jadeja, I don’t see how India will get anywhere close to top 3 again. I don’t see quality test batting prospects coming through, nor spinners or fast bowlers. There is going to be a big void. Bcci will take advantage of the situation and turn attention to franchise cricket.
You could say this about almost any team at any time. Most of your best Test players are going to be 30-something, it's just the way it is. 3-4 years is a lot of time for players to mature and come through.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are you high

PakhuisTillite

Cricket Spectator
So not a glass half full kind of chap then? You have Gill, Pant, Siraj, Bumrah, Sundar, Rahul, Vihari all under 30 years old. That's a decent framework around which to rebuild.

Shri

Mr. Glass

Direct link since embedding doesn't seem to be working.

Kimber with the goods again. Basically talks about how all the praise/criticism heaped on captains is largely misguided, and how in modern day professional cricket the Captain isn't the all mighty leader that so many fans and pundits think they are.

What he also points out, that I've stated before here, is how the captain is the 'Face' of the team and does play quite a role in setting the culture and ~vibes of the side. This is perhaps their most important job, and I think Kohli had his pros and cons here. Definite love for Test cricket and a passion to succeed in it. He had a real ability to fire up the team, he instilled a good work ethic and fitness culture in the side, and I think he handled the pressures that come with being captain very well. Many men haven't enjoyed the burden of Indian captaincy, including greats like Sachin and Dravid, but Kohli lived for it and carried it with pride. Lots of respect for that.

But I think his petulance, meltdowns in the field, and general beefing with the media and administration did not make him a good representation of the team. I won't be surprised if he was nudged to step down after what transpired at Newlands. I think it's the right time for him to call and end to his captaincy career, and to focus on his batting. He's only got a few more years left at the top level and we need his runs more than ever.

This does leave quite a bit of a leadership vacuum in the side, and with Pujara and Rahane likely to transition out, along with guys like Ashwin/Jadeja/Ishant/Rohit all ageing too, we could be in for a bit of a transition phase during the current WTC, WC and WT20 cycles. Going to be very interesting to see how the selectors handles this, and how Dravid manages the team through it.

Oh and @Spark is going to enjoy Kimber's use of the word 'content' here.
ok

anil1405

International Captain
I can see why centurymaker is missing Kohli 'the Skipper'.... Centurymaker likes to make dramatic and bold statements too like Kohli does in the presser and on the field.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I don't think we've seen the last of Captain Kohli. If India endures a torrid next couple of years under Rohit or god forbid KLPD Rahul, or if either is forced out by injury or form as is more than likely, Kohli might be the only viable candidate around. He'll only be 35 then and I can imagine it being the sweetest victory of his life if the BCCI is forced to go back begging to him.

flibbertyjibber

Top captain, bit of an arse but can't argue with the results. Hope he can find form with the bat now he has the pressures of captaincy released.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Terribly Sad Day.

RIP Indian Test Cricket!

Back to the glory days of 4-nil / 3-nil in overseas tours, (before BCCI ends up deciding to pull out of FTP several yrs down the line)

Don’t feel inclined to follow anymore without Kohli as Captain (and without Shastri either). This is terrible news.

I can see IPL taking so much more precedence going forward. It’s already been permanently expanded to 10 teams from this year and no. of games have increased from 60 to 94 per season.

And don’t be surprised if Kohli retires from international cricket, including Test Cricket in around 2 years, after 2023 World Cup. In fact, I think it’s more likely than not that he retires by 2023/2024.

**** off BCCI. You have too much control. I can totally see you ending India’s participation in ‘regular International cricket’ in less than a decade, in order to radically expand franchise cricket. If BCCI can boot/finish Kohli like this, they can do anything.
When reverse jinxing becomes part of your lifestyle.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Will need to build technology for real time beeping of swear words before he can enter commentary box

Window

U19 Debutant
I get the feeling he won’t take up commentary afterwards. Could probably just coast as an IPL coach/manager. Or go do something else completely. He has enough money for other ventures.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He has other business ventures. I expect him to be like how Sachin is right now. He is way too passionate to be involved in passive roles like coaching, administration etc.