• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev vs Jimmy 5nderson

srbhkshk

International Captain
In the spirit of creating threads about Jimmy, but not in the spirit of comparing him to Ambrose. Here's a genuine question -

Rate on bowling alone please,( unless of course the other suites are related to the point you are trying to make.)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kapil genuinely limited by conditions and supporting bowlers.

Pace - Kapil
Regular swing - Jimmy
Reverse swing - Jimmy
Seam - Kapil
Action - Both have a great one

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kapil genuinely limited by conditions and supporting bowlers.

Pace - Kapil
Regular swing - Jimmy
Reverse swing - Jimmy
Seam - Kapil
Action - Both have a great one
Explain why Kapil's record is worse in conditions which should theoretically have suited his bowling then?

harsh.ag

Explain why Kapil's record is worse in conditions which should theoretically have suited his bowling then?
Don't know. Just checked out his country-wise record. Great record in Australia and West Indies which suits the theory.

smash84

The Tiger King
my ratings

Pace - Jimmy
Regular swing - Jimmy
Reverse swing - Jimmy
Seam - Kapil
Action - Kapil

Overall its a tough call. Kapil was pretty awesome against the best side of his era. And Aus were decent in the first half of his career, and he did really well against both of them.

Probably Anderson but its a close call.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Kapil was a lot better than his end avg: reveals. In comparison with Anderson ,Kapil gets credit for lack of bowling support.But in both longevity & work density Anderson is slightly better.Against the best team of his era WI both home & abroad, Kapil raised his game to great levels.In Anderson's case there was no clear cut no: 1 team but in his first 2 years it was AUS.Against AUS he was mediocre.

In one dayers Kapil was slightly better because Anderson got much support when compared to Kapil.And Kapil was great vs WI too.

Over all taking all merits & demerits into account, Anderson slightly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anderson has had more match winning spellls, now it may well be due to the support but then again we cant rate on Ifs and Buts. Anderson's performance in India is the clincher for me. Kapil is pretty close to Anderson but Anderson ahead of him by a slight margin because of how good he was in India.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The same people who give Anderson **** for a high-ish average are very forgiving of Kapil averaging 30 in a lower-scoring period.

Can't say I'm surprised

Starfighter

When I first saw this thread I thought who's Jimmy Sanderson?

The same people who give Anderson **** for a high-ish average are very forgiving of Kapil averaging 30 in a lower-scoring period.

Can't say I'm surprised
Yeah, don't understand this, yes he did bowl in tough conditions but he was worse away. Yes he does have a good record against WI but it should be pointed out that the bare West Indies pitches would actually have been much closer to what he was used to bowling on rather than the seemingly favourable English conditions that he was dismal in.