• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Sobers, Donald vs Steyn, Trott vs Pollock

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
:huh:

See Jake's post below. I quoted Henry to refute your point.
OK, so would you care to comment on the whole issue whereby suddenly there are loads of really good bowlers in Kallis' era which is why he's nowhere near ever being a top bowler yet it's always been said that the standard of bowling in this era is pretty much at the lowest it has been for such a long time?

smash84

The Tiger King
OK, so would you care to comment on the whole issue whereby suddenly there are loads of really good bowlers in Kallis' era which is why he's nowhere near ever being a top bowler yet it's always been said that the standard of bowling in this era is pretty much at the lowest it has been for such a long time?
Take the first half of Kallis's career and there is everybody from the 90s. Only since 2003 there has been a dearth of good bowlers around I would think

Rasimione

U19 Captain
How many teams did Sobers have to play against? Also for those saying that kallis bowling is crap, on Tv last december showing that kallis has the same batting average as Tendulkar and almost the same number of wickets and average as Zaheer Khan. Funny thing is that people bash kallis for not bowling enough. Let see who he had to compete with for the ball. Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, makhaya Ntini, Andrew Hall, Lance klusener when he was still quick, Nantie Hayward. Dale steyn, Morne Morkel. All those players are front line bowlers. could it be coincedence that his bowling stats in one day cricket are not far off from his test stats? I think he had the tools to be a frontline bowler if we really needed that from him, but with the bowlers we had, his bowling is a bonus.

smash84

The Tiger King
How many teams did Sobers have to play against? Also for those saying that kallis bowling is crap, on Tv last december showing that kallis has the same batting average as Tendulkar and almost the same number of wickets and average as Zaheer Khan. Funny thing is that people bash kallis for not bowling enough. Let see who he had to compete with for the ball. Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, makhaya Ntini, Andrew Hall, Lance klusener when he was still quick, Nantie Hayward. Dale steyn, Morne Morkel. All those players are front line bowlers. could it be coincedence that his bowling stats in one day cricket are not far off from his test stats? I think he had the tools to be a frontline bowler if we really needed that from him, but with the bowlers we had, his bowling is a bonus.
Agreed.

Can't really recall WI having such bowling riches in the 1960s. They might have but I am not aware of it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I said pretty much as good. There maybe a gap between the two but there isn't daylight. In case you are thinking along those lines I should point out that the difference between Sobers and Kallis's batting is not as great as the gap between the Don and Sobers batting.......
Swap Kallis for Steyn and that's still true.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
As for Steyn and Donald, since we watched them both, can anyone really say Donald was way better than Steyn? Or do we rate Donald higher because Steyn is still playing?
There is a very important factor which your cherry picked stats are failing to show you - Steyn has been playing for just over 6 years now. Donald has an entire career. Just the sheer body of work and performances behind Donald would place him higher than Steyn. Having said that, I would not be surprised if by the time Steyn ends his czreer, he would be rated higher than Donald.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
OMG KALLIS MADE 37 LAST MIGHT AGAINST SRI LANKA IN AN ODI!!!

OMG OMG!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
OMG KALLIS MADE 37 LAST MIGHT AGAINST SRI LANKA IN AN ODI!!!

OMG OMG!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
:laugh:

You really do hate him with venom, don't you. Surely Sobers never made 37 ...

I will interpret your musings about Kallis accordingly ... :p

Flametree

International 12th Man
How many teams did Sobers have to play against?
Not as many as Kallis. How many wickets and runs did Sobers get against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh again?

Is a tragedy for lots of reasons that Sobers didn't get to play every one of the test playing nations around during his era.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
IMO Steyn is better than Donald, but nöt by much. I have seen Steyn bowl spells in which he was unplayable. You know what he was going to do but you cant do a thing to stop him. Still remember his spell to the Indians in South africa. Got Pujara with a jaffa. Who can remember his spell to the English, Bell and Collingwood were made to look like hacks. Allan Donald had more pace sure, but in tests if you want someone to blast the opposition out more frequently, Steyn is you'r man. As for Pollock i never saw him play, but i hear he destroyed the best bowlers of his Era, so id back him.

MrPrez

International Debutant
IMO Steyn is better than Donald, but nöt by much. I have seen Steyn bowl spells in which he was unplayable. You know what he was going to do but you cant do a thing to stop him. Still remember his spell to the Indians in South africa. Got Pujara with a jaffa. Who can remember his spell to the English, Bell and Collingwood were made to look like hacks. Allan Donald had more pace sure, but in tests if you want someone to blast the opposition out more frequently, Steyn is you'r man. As for Pollock i never saw him play, but i hear he destroyed the best bowlers of his Era, so id back him.
DWTA. Steyn is a genuine 150kph bowler, he just doesn't use it often. He bowls better when he bowls a bit slower and with more control.