• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Sobers, Donald vs Steyn, Trott vs Pollock

uvelocity

International Coach
Marcuss had a point that was relevant to the discussion though; he was just expressing it in a dickheaded fashion.
Marcuss made a strawman ftr.

No comment from yourself regarding my calling you out for your own personal attack on me either. Good form.

smash84

The Tiger King
You think everything is funny though. It might have been funny if Marcuss was having a cry, but he wasn't; he was just being a dickhead.
So? Marcuss was being a dickhead and uvelocity came up with a funny retort to that. So start ranting @ uvelocity? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How good someone is to watch just isn't a factor in how good they are though; whether they have similar stats or not. That's the point.
Yes, but effect on a game does. Kallis continually has decent series' against Australia, but I think it says a lot that it was the time when Smith got runs that we lost a series against them.

Do you think Kallis makes the job of his partners any easier, than, say a Ponting or a Tendulkar?

Ruckus

International Captain
Yes imo. How many times have we seen a batsman take on bowlers, and suddenly the whole feeling of the game changes? The bowlers start feeling pressure and lose their lines, and the other batsmen starts looking more confident. Ponting's 78 at Headingly in 2009 is a great example of that.

Not saying that Kallis hasn't done that occasionally, but Ponting in his career has done it far more often.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
54.41 puts him top of the tree (batting average) when talking about batsmen to have played 20 games since Tendulkar's debut (minnows excluded).
Kind of missing the point when you ignore the bowling side of things (which was the point I was trying to make).

Flametree

International 12th Man
I don't see why we should have to be completely rational about any of this.
Completely agree. For what it's worth on the less-debated elements of the original post, Pollock RG was a true great of the game. Donald still beats Steyn - his average is a point lower isn't it?

Now... Kallis vs Sobers.

I'm a kiwi/Brit and have seen Kallis do well against NZ a few times. Saw him bowling in the World Cup in '99 when he was seriously quick and seriously good. But....

1. His minnow-bashing is absurd. 80 with the bat, 15 with the ball. It almost looks mean-spirited...

2. My perception is that there was a time when more than once, SA were well ahead but he never tried to accelerate at times when quick runs to set up a declaration were needed. It felt like getting his average over 50 was a huge thing for him. This is a few years back, I agree he's a more attacking player now. But still, you suspect Sobers wouldn't have known his batting average to the nearest five runs...

3. Sobers was a front-line bowler in over half his tests, Kallis was a fourth bowler. You can have a decent debate about which is the harder role. Sobers got a new ball quite often, fresh wicket sometimes. But the workload was much higher. Kallis got an older ball, occasionally set batsmen. But Kallis also often bowled a couple of overs, if nothing happened, he'd be off, and he also seems to have had a lot of days where he's got to knock over tail-enders (last week being the latest). A bad day for Kallis was none-for-forty, which has protected his average in some ways.

4. South Africa, I think we can all agree, have underperformed in the past 10 years. Given the players they've had, they should have won more test series, and they should have been a tougher opponent for Australia (especially at home). Kallis, possibly through no fault of his own, has been a big part of that, so I feel he'll never get the recognition he deserves because the side hasn't done as well as it should have.

5. Finally, Sir Gary was a true globetrotter. His image is of a guy who played for fun. He went on all sorts of "international xi" type tours, played for the Rest of the World, delighted county fans in his stints at Notts. (Yeah, I know he probably did this for money, just like everyone, but still, I can't imagine Kallis giving up his off-season break to go to Pakistan for two months on a tour.) He could drink most of us under the table then turn up at the ground and make a hundred. He bowled seam/swing, finger spin and wrist spin. He was a fantastic fielder. He made crazy declarations as captain. His batting was poetry in motion (possibly because he had that left-hander's natural grace?). Kallis, though technically sound with the bat, and occasionally menacing with the ball, and very good in the slips, just really never ever sets anyone's pulse racing.

I will always freely admit that Kallis's stats make him one of the top two to four allrounders ever (along with Sobers, Imran, and Miller for me, with Procter in a "maybe" category). But I don't think I could ever rate him as number one.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The minnow-bashing is a complete red herring. He's #1 since 1989 with the bat if you exclude Minnows. Fair's fair - compare like with like, aye? And bowling, he still averages 35.

Now, on average Kallis bowls 12 overs per innings compared to Sobers' 22 per innings. Pretty clear that Sobers carried more bowling burden in numbers. Bloody hard to say how many were pace vs. spin with Sobers though.

Anyway, I personally don't disagree that Sobers is a better all-rounder than Kallis. But the comparison is warranted and far from ludicrous. The bigger question for me is where Kallis ranks in the post 1989 batsmen; and personally I think it's fair for him to be in the top bracket - Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting and Kallis. He isn't at all out of place. Whether he's as entertaining or whether he 'sets the pulse racing' is such a subjective way of looking at things. Put it this way, if Kallis had been around before 1989, his strike rate would have been bloody good.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The minnow-bashing is a complete red herring. He's #1 since 1989 with the bat if you exclude Minnows. Fair's fair - compare like with like, aye? And bowling, he still averages 35.

Now, on average Kallis bowls 12 overs per innings compared to Sobers' 22 per innings. Pretty clear that Sobers carried more bowling burden in numbers. Bloody hard to say how many were pace vs. spin with Sobers though.

Anyway, I personally don't disagree that Sobers is a better all-rounder than Kallis. But the comparison is warranted and far from ludicrous. The bigger question for me is where Kallis ranks in the post 1989 batsmen; and personally I think it's fair for him to be in the top bracket - Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting and Kallis. He isn't at all out of place. Whether he's as entertaining or whether he 'sets the pulse racing' is such a subjective way of looking at things. Put it this way, if Kallis had been around before 1989, his strike rate would have been bloody good.
There was a half back named Tim Smith played for Parra a few years back. Led the league in try assists, attacking kicks, defensive kicks. All the good stats for a play maker.

But he was no Andrew Johns.