• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Sobers, Donald vs Steyn, Trott vs Pollock

uvelocity

International Coach
Cool story bro (Y)
Fair dinkum talk about arguing about something on an internet forum which wasn't even anything to do with you PEWS. ftr the above is what got to me. Marcuss completely and deliberately missed the point of what I wrote, and instead of offering something intelligent writes a smart arse comment at me.

Benchmark was correct, what other kind of reply did it deserve?

On the topic, if you have a look at the matches they played against each other to date, on several occasions Ponting was the man to stand up and win the game for his team. That is the point I was making.

Now you want to call me a fool and a poor judge, and attack a backhanded retort of mine as ad hominem? Back in your box tiger.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair dinkum talk about arguing about something on an internet forum which wasn't even anything to do with you PEWS. ftr the above is what got to me. Marcuss completely and deliberately missed the point of what I wrote, and instead of offering something intelligent writes a smart arse comment at me.

Benchmark was correct, what other kind of reply did it deserve?

On the topic, if you have a look at the matches they played against each other to date, on several occasions Ponting was the man to stand up and win the game for his team. That is the point I was making.

Now you want to call me a fool and a poor judge, and attack a backhanded retort of mine as ad hominem? Back in your box tiger.
You're still missing the point.
Complete failure to consider the respective bowling attacks that each batsman had to face in these games.
Complete failure to consider the respective quality of the rest of the batting lineups that each player was a part of.

uvelocity

International Coach
You're still missing the point.
Complete failure to consider the respective bowling attacks that each batsman had to face in these games.
Complete failure to consider the respective quality of the rest of the batting lineups that each player was a part of.
jesus wept

Part of it for mine is the team record. These are always more important than averages.

Of course we rate Australia's team more highly, but how many games between the sides did Kallis do it himself and win it?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jesus wept
Yeah and the unbolded part of "How many times did Kallis do it himself and win it?"
Well, probably less than Ponting because he had a much harder task of it than Ponting did.
Besides, judging them solely on what they did in matches against one another is ********.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm enjoying this argument. It's like a stats argument without those annoying number things.

uvelocity

International Coach
Yeah and the unbolded part of "How many times did Kallis do it himself and win it?"
Never.
Well, probably less than Ponting because he had a much harder task of it than Ponting did.
Besides, judging them solely on what they did in matches against one another is ********.
fmd what bit of 'part of' do you not understand?

Kallis has some attributes ponting does not, like quality fast bowling. You can't compare them based on their bowling alone either, but it's certainly part of it.

Anyway yeah Burgey is right.

benchmark00

Meh; he made a particularly ****house post and I called him on it. Don't see how that makes it a flame war. I have no problem with him in general (quite enjoy his posts in tour threads); I played the post and it was awful. Something that particularly grates me.
Played one post, didn't play the other.

benchmark00

Actually called it crap several times in my long post. No way was it anywhere near as bad as uvelocity's though.
Did you ever consider that the reason it brough about such a response was because it was epically **** as well and deserved such.

Someone dishes it out, gotta take it in return.

Would love for the mods to look at the source for once, not just look at the retaliation.

Burgey

Did you ever consider that the reason it brough about such a response was because it was epically **** as well and deserved such.

Someone dishes it out, gotta take it in return.

Would love for the mods to look at the source for once, not just look at the retaliation.
Garry Nelisen used to say "You've got to look at Genesis, Mr Burge. Not just Revelation".