• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonny Bairstow apology thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is utter drivel, I don’t think there’s been a cricketer since whos had a harder time from the English media.
Well except for maybe Mike Gatting, hounded out of the job for shagging a barmaid and still harangued about a reverse sweep shot even now.

I mean this is just silly neither of them called greats that I know of, Trundler just blathering nonsense about a time he didn't seem to have lived through.

Oh I'm not in the Richard category with Athers, and actually there is a comparison that doesn't work great with him, Alec Stewart's record as opener at roughly the same time. Yet he was clearly better than mediocrity personified, and quite frankly it's posting that makes mediocre seem an high level.

Oh on Bairstow he was **** for two years, I probably slagged him for 2 years, he's now great, and I love him. The way it goes if you average mid-30s, it's going to be swings and roundabouts.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunking on Atherton and Gatting works every time which is surprising because they were both just alright

trundler

Only half trolling because most English cricketers are overrated. Don't even get me started on black and white era cricketers who were supposedly the picture of grace and elegance but averaged 30 away. Even if they're bagged at the time, they're definitely overrated retrospectively and occupy too much space in public discussions compared to their worth. Also Pietersen only played 7 years really and was thus a flash in the pan.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well except for maybe Mike Gatting, hounded out of the job for shagging a barmaid and still harangued about a reverse sweep shot even now.

I mean this is just silly neither of them called greats that I know of, Trundler just blathering nonsense about a time he didn't seem to have lived through.

Oh I'm not in the Richard category with Athers, and actually there is a comparison that doesn't work great with him, Alec Stewart's record as opener at roughly the same time. Yet he was clearly better than mediocrity personified, and quite frankly it's posting that makes mediocre seem an high level.

Oh on Bairstow he was **** for two years, I probably slagged him for 2 years, he's now great, and I love him. The way it goes if you average mid-30s, it's going to be swings and roundabouts.
During the time they both opened Atherton had a superior record didn't he? It was only from halfway through the '97 ashes that Atherton's output nosedived, and from that point Stewart was no longer opening

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well sure but Gatting’s grief from the press came first didn’t it? Either way the idea Atherton is championed by the English media is for the fairies, just trundler finding a trope and thinking he can apply it

Apologise plz @trundler

Xuhaib

International Coach
Bairstow can end up with 8k @ 40 if he keeps this up for two years or more looked unlikely a few months back.

trundler

You guys reckon it's the fans who are responsible for this disastrous mass glorification of mediocrity? Unlikely but ok.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You guys reckon it's the fans who are responsible for this disastrous mass glorification of mediocrity? Unlikely but ok.
What glorification are you even talking about?

You’ve invented a straw man and are arguing with nobody. Nobody has called Athers an ATG on this forum for about 12 years and only one person did back then.

Averaging 37 as an opener in the era he played in is decent all things considered, this is literally the point.

The English media are generally terrible on most topics, but given you weren’t alive when Atherton played, and it was a largely pre-internet era in real terms, you’d have absolutely no idea how the media treated him. I would, having grown up in England and witnessed it first hands.

Very suboptimal posting from you.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Bairstow has been mishandled over the years. I'm certain that it has caused his form to fluctuate. I was one of those people who questioned his place in the test side based on his erratic form and wanted him to focus on being one of the all time great one day players.

This sense of belief that has been given to him by the current management has really paid off instantly and he has a defined role in the side.

flibbertyjibber

Never thought he should have been dropped and having not played for Yorkshire thought he shouldn't get his place back. Guess I was wrong in there somewhere.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
England would love to have prime Atherton opening for them in the current era.