• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonbrooks chucking Megathread

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
what a shock. this only gets mentioned every 2 pages on NZ tour threads.
Justice has been done, so no more complaints from me. Even if he somehow passes the testing (which he really shouldn't lets face it), the umpires have looked at his action and reported it. That's all I was asking for, a bit of consistency.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
How could any of you believe a man with a face so pure to be guilty of a such a nefarious crime as throwing his off-spinner.

Shame on you all.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Justice has been done, so no more complaints from me. Even if he somehow passes the testing (which he really shouldn't lets face it), the umpires have looked at his action and reported it. That's all I was asking for, a bit of consistency.
Haha I'm not that thick, I meant that it's a running joke among NZ fans that his action is so blatantly suspect. It's the elephant in the room which keeps farting. No complaints here.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just a matter of time. Williamson's definitely looks suspect, just a case of whether it's confirmed as more than 15%

Still waiting for Kyle Mills to be caught up with late in his career.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This really should've happened early on in his career before coaches built teams round his value as a part timer.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This really should've happened early on in his career before coaches built teams round his value as a part timer.
To be fair, there's been so much ambiguity and chopping & changing around the rules & this whole 15 degrees etc, it's hard to blame anyone other than the ICC powers at be (or their biomechanical experts who supposedly ascertain these things,)

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I imagine Kane was generally on the winning side. If the other team complained, it's sour grapes. as for his own team, they'd be terrified to ever say a word against him because why would you sabotage your star player? Gotta love NZ sport politics.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Should have happened in first class cricket though - even in Hawke cup.
Haha, that would take one hell of a ballsy umpire to no-ball a future NZ captain in a Hawke Cup game. Even Darryl Hair wouldn't touch that..

Can someone please ban Zinzan for calling the great man's action into question? Flem, make it happen

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's not that he should've been no-balled, it's just that NZC should have had him tested by this stage.

We look at the Senanayake example and SLC had him tested before they even picked him, IIRC. Now, it's different because he's a bowler whereas Williamson is a batsman who bowls a bit, but really they should've foreseen this.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Very true. All the quotes I've seen have been along the lines of 'he's been bowling for this long, why are they investigating him now'. Perhaps they felt it was easier to let him fly under the radar, bowl a few overs here and there, and generally arouse no suspicion. There's zero doubt it's an action that requires testing.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If that fails the ICC can always change the rules to accommodate him (it's been done before!).
Yep, because the law has been changed for Shoaib Akhtar, Shabbir Ahmed, James Kirtley, Johan Botha (twice), Abdur Razzak, Shane Shillingford (twice) and Marlon Samuels, not to mention all those who were reported and not sanctioned -- Saeed Ajmal, Mohammad Hafeez, Jermaine Lawson, Brett Lee, Shoaib Malik, Harbhajan Singh and, somewhat hilariously, current Test umpire Kumar Dharmasena (who spent a year out of the game to remodel his action).

Grant Flower, Shahid Afridi, Henry Olonga, Courtney Walsh and Darren Gough also all had issues. Curtly Ambrose was also no-balled for throwing early in his career.

Lots of law changes for all of them.

So let's assume a conspiracy. From the list above, players from Australia, Bangladesh, England, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan and Zimbabwe have all been implicated. We've got off spinners, leg spinners and pacemen of various speeds all being cited. Some players are successful, others pretty mediocre. Some full-time bowlers, some part-timers.

But only one change to the law coming out of all of this, when the ICC actually bothered to begin biomechanically testing people, which just so happens to coincide with when Murali was called. Definitely got paid off by the SLC, such a huge body flushed with so much cash. The ICC are totally reptilians changing the law to undermine cricket because they all secretly hate it.

I wonder if there was a conspiracy when the LBW law got changed all those years ago. It served fast bowlers pretty well. Or when back foot no balls were abolished; definitely a conspiracy there. Laws change when they become unworkable, or the basis on which they rest is undermined by changing circumstances and/or new information. That goes in both the political and sporting realms.

You wouldn't charge someone under the Witchcraft Act of 1535, much in the way you wouldn't charge a bowler under the old chucking law of zero tolerance for straightening. The basis of both, as we are now aware, is pure fiction.

I ****ing hate conspiracy theories.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Very interesting that you should say that. Did you know that when Muralitharan was first no-balled he was averaging over 30 and couldn't buy a wicket in Australia. The ICC thought exactly the same thing as you are doing with Williamson i.e. Muralitharan won't amount to much. So they let him play on and the plague continues ...
You know nothing jon brooks.

Blocky

Banned
Murali was most definitely a chucker and I don't care what testing he went through or what steel braces he had - to the eye, he was always a thrower.

We're getting to a point with wearable technology that we should be able to design feedback sensors for players who have a suspected action to wear during the match and automatically signal when they've bowled an illegal delivery.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm almost certain I completely tanked an exam on Friday, so I can imagine my tutor sitting there shaking his head..

"You know nothing..."