• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Howard to head ICC?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Goodness me, if ICC members can't get over an argument years ago about whether a bowler had a 14º or 16º bend in his arm, there's not a lot of hope for the future.

Quaggas

State Captain
Speed on opposition to Howard (cricinfo)

"There is some irony in this," Speed told the Australian. "Zimbabwe throughout has said 'you must come and play against us for the sake of our cricket. You can't have politics in cricket, you can't make political considerations', and the ICC has consistently endorsed that position.

"Their position now, as I understand it, is that Howard's not qualified because he's a politician and he's criticised Zimbabwe, so they bring politics back into it when it suits them. I think the behaviour of Zimbabwe, and South Africa supporting them, has been outrageous.

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh look, it's GraemeSmith baiting Australians. There's a keeper for the photo album. Really, just ignore him guys.
Thank you for making a straw-man out of me 8-) My opposition to him has nothing to do with him being an australian, it has to do with his lack of experience as I have pointed out numerous times in this thread. I'd more than happy if his nomination was replaced by any australian who has cricket administrative experience or knowledge about cricket for that matter.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Speed on opposition to Howard (cricinfo)

"There is some irony in this," Speed told the Australian. "Zimbabwe throughout has said 'you must come and play against us for the sake of our cricket. You can't have politics in cricket, you can't make political considerations', and the ICC has consistently endorsed that position.

"Their position now, as I understand it, is that Howard's not qualified because he's a politician and he's criticised Zimbabwe, so they bring politics back into it when it suits them. I think the behaviour of Zimbabwe, and South Africa supporting them, has been outrageous.
Speed Backing Howard makes me want to follow the graemesmith and Sir Alex line too.
The two Malcolm's incharge of the ICC were a real mess.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Just reading through this thread and has to be said some people are using Really clutching at straws argument to Justify their Opposition to Howard .

I can understand opposing him because of his non cricleting background in any sense ,but because he lost a member of parliament election seems really odd.

Matt79

Global Moderator
After serving as one of the longest serving MPs, and second longest serving Prime Minister in Australia's history.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Thank you for making a straw-man out of me 8-) My opposition to him has nothing to do with him being an australian, it has to do with his lack of experience as I have pointed out numerous times in this thread. I'd more than happy if his nomination was replaced by any australian who has cricket administrative experience or knowledge about cricket for that matter.
I'm not going to call you a liar, I'm just going to say that you're not being truthful there. :thumbsup:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
just reading through this thread and has to be said some people are using really clutching at straws argument to justify their opposition to howard .

I can understand opposing him because of his non cricleting background in any sense ,but because he lost a member of parliament election seems really odd.
awta

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
I think the great concern about Howard is the way he operates rather than his policies.

Howard relied on divisive politics. He took issues and purposely manipulated them and said things purely to divide his opponents without regard to the social or cultural impact upon the country.

It doesn't matter what his views or policies were during his terms. I don't think someone who operates this way should be involved at high levels at the ICC. I didn't like his deputy leader throughout his time as PM at all, Peter Costello, but I would be less objectionable to him taking this role (not that he's interested) than Howard since he is not such a divisive character. Even in the Liberal party Howard created conflict. He had some of his own backbenchers calling him a rat.

It's 100% obvious that Howard is going to be divisive and manipulative during his time at the ICC because thats the way he operates. Its almost guaranteed there were be political schisms amongst ICC members while Howard is there.

If you think a divided and bickering ICC is in the best interest of cricket then by all means Howard is the perfect candidate.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think the great concern about howard is the way he operates rather than his policies.

Howard relied on divisive politics. He took issues and purposely manipulated them and said things purely to divide his opponents without regard to the social or cultural impact upon the country.

It doesn't matter what his views or policies were during his terms. I don't think someone who operates this way should be involved at high levels at the icc. I didn't like his deputy leader throughout his time as pm at all, peter costello, but i would be less objectionable to him taking this role (not that he's interested) than howard since he is not such a divisive character. Even in the liberal party howard created conflict. He had some of his own backbenchers calling him a rat.

It's 100% obvious that howard is going to be divisive and manipulative during his time at the icc because thats the way he operates. Its almost guaranteed there were be political schisms amongst icc members while howard is there.

If you think a divided and bickering icc is in the best interest of cricket then by all means howard is the perfect candidate.
dwta

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And you're entitled to that opinion.

I don't think Howard would do a bad job, but I think there are legitimate concerns that he may struggle in an area or two. It's not like he had the perfect foreign relations record.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think the great concern about Howard is the way he operates rather than his policies.

It doesn't matter what his views or policies were during his terms. I don't think someone who operates this way should be involved at high levels at the ICC. I didn't like his deputy leader throughout his time as PM at all, Peter Costello, but I would be less objectionable to him taking this role (not that he's interested) than Howard since he is not such a divisive character. Even in the Liberal party Howard created conflict. He had some of his own backbenchers calling him a rat.

It's 100% obvious that Howard is going to be divisive and manipulative during his time at the ICC because thats the way he operates. Its almost guaranteed there were be political schisms amongst ICC members while Howard is there.

If you think a divided and bickering ICC is in the best interest of cricket then by all means Howard is the perfect candidate.
Don't know if the ICC is that cohesive as it is.