• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Howard to head ICC?

Sir Alex

Banned
Also love how if a Prime Minster loses an election, it makes him unfit to run any organization. Because you know, becoming PM is just something you do. Never losing an reelection is what really counts.
I think you missed the point brought up by others. No one here really likes Howard, but to suggest he was incompetent is being foolish.
I brought out Howard's failure to get re elected primarily because some posters were arguing as if he is the best administrator and politician Australian had ever seen or on the lines of the same.:laugh:

My opposition is NOT on that primarily, but that Howard knows next to nothing about cricket administration, or it's inherent matters. And above all, he valid precedents created by himself which shows him in very poor light as a diplomat when it comes to cricket (Murali).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cricket administration is so complicated that running a country plus two years as a deputy is not suitable preparation?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Alex, howard isn't going to be out there teaching everyone how to play a textbook cover drive. He is there most probably to do a lot of paper work and attend some meetings, something that PMs around the world are generally good at. You of course are the most intelligent guy the posters in the thread have ever come across, so I won't bore you with the details.:)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I brought out Howard's failure to get re elected primarily because some posters were arguing as if he is the best administrator and politician Australian had ever seen or on the lines of the same.:laugh:

My opposition is NOT on that primarily, but that Howard knows next to nothing about cricket administration, or it's inherent matters. And above all, he valid precedents created by himself which shows him in very poor light as a diplomat when it comes to cricket (Murali).
Alex clearly knows more than us simple Australian posters about our politicians.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
WTF, why would an "ape" insult be offensive? SS is Indian too.

Anyway, my big question to all Howard bashers.....are you happy with Pawar being the president of the ICC despite him being a politician?
try telling that to Symonds, tbh...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. all this argument about a dummy post?????????? :laugh:

And anyways, I think Howard is as "qualified" as say Manmohan Singh for this job.

And SS, with all due respect, your point is totally stupid reg. Howard being more "qualified" than Pawar, coz at least Pawar led his country's boarrd of Cricket..

Sir Alex

Banned
Alex, howard isn't going to be out there teaching everyone how to play a textbook cover drive. He is there most probably to do a lot of paper work and attend some meetings, something that PMs around the world are generally good at. You of course are the most intelligent guy the posters in the thread have ever come across, so I won't bore you with the details.:)
Cut the pettiness.

He's shown what his true colors are in the Murali episode. I think that episode alone weighs more than any of the counterweights his career in Australian politics can offer, in this job.

I don't mind if he trudges off to the UN or somewhere where he wants to make a retirement living. But please not cricket. He has this habit of opening his mouth where he should be staying mum and inviting trouble, where there is absolutely no need to. International cricket has already many headaches, don't want to add to it.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Muralitharan did forgive Howard correct? Issue should end at that point, of all the things to hold against someone becoming president of the ICC, this is the least relevant.

Sir Alex

Banned
Muralitharan did forgive Howard correct? Issue should end at that point, of all the things to hold against someone becoming president of the ICC, this is the least relevant.
Yeah, that shows Murali's magnanimity. Did Howard apologise for that? Don't forget Murali did not tour Australia (arguably at his peak of powers) due to that remark primarily.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate, seriously;

Murali may refuse to tour Australia - Cricket - www.theage.com.au

From 2004 and the man himself.

"The crowd is the main thing. Not the officials or the players. Before I bowl, every ball they're calling no-ball. (Last Australian summer) was very emotional. It's past. You can't keep bringing up the past and accusing someone. It's annoying if they call out every ball. It's OK once or twice . . . (but) they don't think about my performance and what I do."
Stop. Please.

Sir Alex

Banned
Mate, seriously;

Murali may refuse to tour Australia - Cricket - www.theage.com.au

From 2004 and the man himself.

Stop. Please.
Prime stupidity | Australia Cricket Features | Cricinfo.com

A good article on why Howard doesn't deserve the top job by Christian Ryan whom I consider to be a good writer, and credit to him, he called it damn early.

"John Howard's one and only contribution has been to put paid to any hope of Muttiah Muralitharan touring Australia. Eight of the lamest, laziest, least considered words uttered by any prime minister on any sport - "they proved it in Perth with that thing" - will go down as Howard's cricketing legacy. "

If you think Howard's words had NO effect on Murali's decision to tour Australia, then frankly you are kidding none.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But, but, but, Howard went to some of those games, so he's part of the crowd too!
No kidding, anyone reading this would get the impression he was in a the Neo-Nazi section drinking Murali's blood on a platform made of dead asylum seekers.

EDIT: Ugh, can't believe I almost defended him too.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Here's what Murali had to say on Howard's nomination

"I'm not upset or angry with him or anything. At the time, I thought it was wrong - that was my opinion and he had his," said Muralitharan, who is Test cricket's greatest wicket-taker with 792 wickets.

"We've got to think about the future: how is he going to handle things in cricket?" he added.

"It won't be an easy job. He has to convince the subcontinent - that's going to be a tough challenge for him."

Murali: Howard has to convince subcontinent | Cricket365 | Cricket News

WAG.

Shame on Howard not to have apologised still.

Sir Alex

Banned
Thanks vic_orthdox

I stand corrected then.

Top Cat, from the above article,

The veteran Sri Lankan off-spinner, who has taken more wickets than any player in the history of the game, previously stated the ''only reason'' for his refusal to tour Australia with his national team in 2004 was the public questioning of his bowling action by Howard. When asked at a function whether Muralitharan threw the ball, Howard replied: ''Yes, they proved it,'' prompting an international furore.
Haha impressive cricketing intelligence indeed from Howard there.