• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root: Nothing wrong with being gay

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
“We were just having banter outside the club. Ben was messing around making gestures, but I have banter with my friends like that.

“The police said he was making hand gestures at me, but I get that a lot and I’m still friends with these sorts of people.

“My friends do it as well, it’s taking the p***, but it’s not like a bad p***, we clearly didn’t take offence to it.
he did mock them though?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
A 4 game ban for that is a tad ridiculous IMHO. The board have quite rightly accepted it but on the understanding that this is a new level of scrutiny and they they expect the same rules to be applied in the ashes. The other boards will be watching as these things haven't been applied equally in the past.

Jimmy Anderson and Ben Stokes are bans waiting to happen if they apply this across the board.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
4 game ban is about right I'd say. Just a shame it's in a format he's too crap to get selected for.

Top_Cat

Banning him for 4 ODIs he had no hope of being picked for anyway was the point, I reckon. The cricket world reacts in mock horror at stump mic stuff, Root looks great, Gabriel puts out a (admittedly reasonable) apology, it sends a message to all the other ****s calling each other ******s and that the issue was given the seriousness it warranted and 4 ODI's looks like a harsh penalty.

i.e. it's meaningless.

Daemon

Wonder what the official framework for punishment is.

Sarfraz got 4 LO matches as well, so maybe it was used as a benchmark.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wonder what the official framework for punishment is.

Sarfraz got 4 LO matches as well, so maybe it was used as a benchmark.
Suggests that the making of racist comments is deemed to be on a par with the making of homophobic comments, in the seriousness stakes, so I guess that's about right.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry isn't the four game ban have to due with the number of demerit points he is on (8 now)? as you accumulate more the ban is longer?

Zinzan

Haven't had time to read all the details, but sounds like Root did well here. Although if being gay turns out to be against the law where he's from, which someone was speculating, It could be looked at slightly differently. Although still a dick move (ironically enough).

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was decided to be the next four games the Windies play, and whether that was ODIs or tests is down to whatever is next on the schedule

Lucky for Gabriel it's in a format he doesn't play

Heboric

International Debutant
If he had said it to Stokes, Gabriel would need to be carried off the field on a stretcher.

Stokes is a fighter not a lover

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's also completely irrelevant as to whether Stokes should have been convicted (which he certainly should have been).