• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root: Nothing wrong with being gay

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Sing if you're glad to be gay, sing if you're happy that way... (T. Robinson)

Seriously homophobia among a group of jockish cricket types. This is surprising?

Borges

International Regular
Seriously homophobia among a group of jockish cricket types. This is surprising?
It is not surprising; it would be very surprising to find someone who has no prejudices of any kind at all.
To me it is acceptable as long as it is not openly expressed in public, or to persons who may be hurt by the sentiment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It is not surprising; it would be very surprising to find someone who has no prejudices of any kind at all.
To me it is acceptable as long as it is not openly expressed in public, or to persons who may be hurt by the sentiment.
Yeah it's fine to be a truly awful human if you don't tell anyone...

Borges

International Regular
Who cares whether you are an awful human being or not, as long as you do not subject the rest of the world to your nastiness?

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Who cares whether you are an awful human being or not, as long as you do not subject the rest of the world to your nastiness?
You assume that this 'nastiness' isn't something that can be educated out of you though, and that your nastiness will die with you, when it will probably instead spread to your children because you end up teaching them your 'awful' ways because to you there isn't much wrong with them, and don't think about them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Being homophobic is bad. It doesn't stop being bad simply because you try and hide it from others, even if you do so successfully.

I guess this would be better than actively projecting hate and intolerance outwardly. But it doesn't make it any less ok, per se.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being homophobic is bad. It doesn't stop being bad simply because you try and hide it from others, even if you do so successfully.

I guess this would be better than actively projecting hate and intolerance outwardly. But it doesn't make it any less ok, per se.
This is a slippery slope, and depends on what you mean by being homophobic. Is it "homophobic" to feel a little uncomfortable at the thought of 2 men having intercourse, but still support people's rights to do it?

SillyCowCorner1

Thank god there were no stump mics in this match (or were there?):

Here is the transcript of the famous spat: McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: “So what does Brian Lara's di*k taste like? ” Sarwan: “I don't know. Ask your wife.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a slippery slope, and depends on what you mean by being homophobic. Is it "homophobic" to feel a little uncomfortable at the thought of 2 men having intercourse, but still support people's rights to do it?
I don't want to see two men making out in the middle of the street, but I would feel equally uncomfortable with a straight couple doing the same thing. Over the top PDAs are tacky no matter who is involved.

Couldn't give two ****s about what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home though, not my problem

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thank god there were no stump mics in this match (or were there?):

Here is the transcript of the famous spat: McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: “So what does Brian Lara's di*k taste like? ” Sarwan: “I don't know. Ask your wife.
The most intense sledging encounter of them all

Daemon

I don't want to see two men making out in the middle of the street, but I would feel equally uncomfortable with a straight couple doing the same thing. Over the top PDAs are tacky no matter who is involved.

Couldn't give two ****s about what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home though, not my problem
What if the two consenting adults sit down over dinner and formulate a plan to eradicate homosexuality?

Burgey

What if the two consenting adults sit down over dinner and formulate a plan to eradicate homosexuality?
Just another POV which they’re entitled to. Like Nazism, you may not agree with it, but apparently in this day and age it’s a view you’re entitled to hold.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The whole thing with banning free speech, even stuff that seems objectively wrong/evil like the above 2 examples, is that imo it's very hard to know where to draw the line regarding actual laws.

Like someone might have an opinion on trans women playing female sport, which imo is a very tricky subject to tackle. Do we lump in those opposed as transphobic and would we fine them if they made the comments in the wrong setting/accidentally said something problematic while making their comment.

Some of the most progressive people in the world can be at loggerheads regarding some issues, such as women and trans people on this subject. Rose McGowans opinion on Kaitlyn Jenner made me think. There's so many variables, when your rights infringe on anothers rights there's almost no answer.

Last edited: