• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root: Nothing wrong with being gay

the big bambino

International Captain
Oh great. The i was drunk excuse. Thanks for the reason but still it was ridiculous you’d have to agree. I don’t care if pedos “don’t choose to be attracted to kids” anymore than Ted Bundy couldn’t help being a killer. You have that inclination then you are sick irrespective of choice. It’s too easy for that reasoning to turn into a justification and excuse.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I agree with Beamer. There was no slur. It was directed at Root because he eye balled him and it wasn’t picked up on mic. So nothing would have happened if Root didn’t walk up to the mic to broadcast his response knowing it would be investigated. He gamed the system just to get someone in trouble and publicly humiliated. He’s just a dobber.
Dreadful take.

the big bambino

International Captain
can't even put a little kiwi away in a sledging contest. if you weren't so hyper sensitive i'd think you were english not australian.
Come on. It was terrible but it had potential. You could’ve said something like at least I don’t blow in a sock and I could’ve mentioned you typing one handed to dale steyn ... and so on until we got infracted.

the big bambino

International Captain
Dreadful take.
Maybe you’re right. I don’t trust the guy. I think he’s a sneak. Now I see what Gabriel said I don’t think it’s homophobic and I have sympathy for him enduring the public humiliation implying he is.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh great. The i was drunk excuse. Thanks for the reason but still it was ridiculous you’d have to agree. I don’t care if pedos “don’t choose to be attracted to kids” anymore than Ted Bundy couldn’t help being a killer. You have that inclination then you are sick irrespective of choice. It’s too easy for that reasoning to turn into a justification and excuse.
I agree you are sick if you have the thoughts. Sick people generally deserve a smidge of sympathy. They're already the most despised section of society 10x over lol. The ones who are at least not hurting anyone don't deserve to be lumped in with the criminals

We're not gonna change each others minds here though, clearly

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Fair enough. I don't see how his statement really denigrated the LGBT community personally. I think the world has gone slightly mad on this. Glenn Mcgrath would hardly have played any tests at this rate, he would have spent his career being banned.

Still, I understand why management encouraged him to plead guilty. They were always going to ban him anyway.
Arguing that retired players would have previously gotten away with similar language is flawed because it doesn't consider the progress against homophobic behaviour, whether extreme or casual. McGrath may well have got a way with it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that people should do 15 years into the future where homosexuality is more accepted. That logic ignores the concept of progress and accepts that homosexuality was definitely accepted and respected to its full extent back then, when arguably it still isn't to this day

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
I agree with Beamer. There was no slur. It was directed at Root because he eye balled him and it wasn’t picked up on mic. So nothing would have happened if Root didn’t walk up to the mic to broadcast his response knowing it would be investigated. He gamed the system just to get someone in trouble and publicly humiliated. He’s just a dobber.
Yeah, Joe's already thinking about that post-retirement knighthood, isn't he?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Arguing that retired players would have previously gotten away with similar language is flawed because it doesn't consider the progress against homophobic behaviour, whether extreme or casual. McGrath may well have got a way with it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that people should do 15 years into the future where homosexuality is more accepted. That logic ignores the concept of progress and accepts that homosexuality was definitely accepted and respected to its full extent back then, when arguably it still isn't to this day
I agree with this actually. My concern is that this new standard needs to be applied consistently and the ICC has a poor track record of doing that. Even the WICB, who have no balls at all, have pointed this out.

Now I'm going to stop commenting on this, it is what it is and I've enjoyed this thread immensely! I need the cricket to start again though.