• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root: Nothing wrong with being gay

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Sorry I don't really see it tbh. I could understand if it was what he was rumoured to have said, but he also said he has no problem with what Root said. I think if we had appealed it would have been thrown out.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sorry I don't really see it tbh. I could understand if it was what he was rumoured to have said, but he also said he has no problem with what Root said. I think if we had appealed it would have been thrown out.
I rather sense your appreciation of the subject matter of this discussion is, at best, very limited/under-developed.

Beamer

I rather sense your appreciation of the subject matter of this discussion is, at best, very limited/under-developed.
Not really, I work for an NGO. I am familiar with this subject matter. I still don't see it. I think your statement is extremely arrogant tbh and not dealing with my opinion but rather attacking my character based on one post. Poor stuff.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not really, I work for an NGO. I am familiar with this subject matter. I still don't see it. I think your statement is extremely arrogant tbh.
Haha wow, congratulations. Would you like a certificate?

Anyway, if you honestly can't see how a slur, which denigrates homosexual people, is not homophobic then there probably isn't a lot of point taking this any further.

Suggesting that the ban is too harsh is one thing, and I can see how that could be argued. But the argument that the comment itself was not homophobic is laughable.

Beamer

Haha wow, congratulations. Would you like a certificate?

Anyway, if you honestly can't see how a slur, which denigrates homosexual people, is not homophobic then there probably isn't a lot of point taking this any further.

Suggesting that the ban is too harsh is one thing, and I can see how that could be argued. But the argument that the comment itself was not homophobic is laughable.
Fair enough. I don't see how his statement really denigrated the LGBT community personally. I think the world has gone slightly mad on this. Glenn Mcgrath would hardly have played any tests at this rate, he would have spent his career being banned.

Still, I understand why management encouraged him to plead guilty. They were always going to ban him anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fair enough. I don't see how his statement really denigrated the LGBT community personally. I think the world has gone slightly mad on this. Glenn Mcgrath would hardly have played any tests at this rate, he would have spent his career being banned.

Still, I understand why management encouraged him to plead guilty. They were always going to ban him anyway.
It was a slur based on homosexuality. Ergo it is homophobic. There is nothing more to understand.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh, it was probably homophobic. Yeh, he probably didn't really intend it to be that way. Will his ban help stamp out future similar behaviour in cricket? Time will tell, but hopefully.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gonna have to go with beamer here. Definition of homophobia: "dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people". From what I understand Gabriel used a slang term not really understanding the connotations, with no malice behind it. (I could be wrong, haven't really looked into it)

Pretty sure we had an issue with this exact distinction re. Sarfraz's "racist" comments

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From the context it seemed he was implying liking boys was a bad thing. Root's reply adds to that. Homophobic

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
What's the treatment? Chemical castration or some clockwork orange ****?
You’re being ridiculous and in doing so mocking the actual harm paedophiles do. I think your comment about them being born that way to be disturbing and a dissembling justification for the most loathsome type of criminal behaviour on the grounds they can’t help themselves or their victims were encouraging it.

mr_mister

You’re being ridiculous and in doing so mocking the actual harm paedophiles do. I think your comment about them being born that way to be disturbing and a dissembling justification for the most loathsome type of criminal behaviour on the grounds they can’t help themselves or their victims were encouraging it.
Yeah, calm down dude.

the big bambino

International Captain
I agree with Beamer. There was no slur. It was directed at Root because he eye balled him and it wasn’t picked up on mic. So nothing would have happened if Root didn’t walk up to the mic to broadcast his response knowing it would be investigated. He gamed the system just to get someone in trouble and publicly humiliated. He’s just a dobber.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Oh stop being a crybaby. Your post was ridiculous invoking scenes from clockwork orange. Don’t be so precious then you won’t be called on it
Lol. I'm not being a crybaby. My clockwork orange comment was a 3am joke while drunk. Wouldn't have made it if I knew you thought my first comment was 'disturbing'.

I was saying pedofiles don't choose to be attracted to kids. If they cross a line and become a child molester, that's them making a choice and one to be condemned.
therefore the offenders and non offenders should be viewed differently imo