• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

Flem274*

123/5
has neil wagner donked or bounced out joe root yet? im assuming he's got kane out in FC before, he's bounced kohli out and donked smith on the helmet so i hope these four spuds can all be united as "not as good as wagner" tbh

cnerd123

likes this
I think you may be looking at strike rates instead of averages, or averages vs countries rather than averages in countries, or something like that, because there are a bunch of countries in which he has pretty terrible records. He's only done well away in Sri Lanka (literally one match) and South Africa (where he played one really awesome innings and not a lot else).

I hate 'analysis by checklist' but he's played a disproportionate amount of his matches at home due to being dropped away a couple of times, and his away record is much worse than his home record. If he had a split closer to 50/50 like most players his average would be a fair bit worse at this point, IMO.
Whoops yea I did that.

Yea pretty lopsided home/away record. Killed in SL and just has that ton in SA. Needs more away performances.

indiaholic

International Captain
From the looks of it, Pujara's career numbers may end up looking a lot like Mahela's.

Kohli's worst: WI: 36.33, SL: 38.33, England: 13.40 and Bangladesh: 14 (one test)

cnerd123

likes this
From the looks of it, Pujara's career numbers may end up looking a lot like Mahela's.

Kohli's worst: WI: 36.33, SL: 38.33, England: 13.40 and Bangladesh: 14 (one test)
That's about as high as it's ever gonna get tbh. Mehedi and Shakib will eat him alive IMO

indiaholic

International Captain
All kidding aside, I didn't think he was very good against spin before this home season. Fair to say, he has proven me wrong.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Does he? Keeping it at Tests only, he has 3193 runs in 70 innings @ 49.89, 10 tons 11 fifties and a good record in all countries - worst average is 39.46 in SA.

He only has 800 runs less than Kohli in 18 less innings, and 4 fewer tons (not including today's innings tho)
Pujara has a terrible away record.

edit: I see this has already been covered. Carry on.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with the thread title.

But more in a 'stop, stop I'm already dead' kind of fashion.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All kidding aside, I didn't think he was very good against spin before this home season. Fair to say, he has proven me wrong.
I honestly think he was not really very good against spin in tests in these conditions till he identified for himself how far away he was a batsman from where he wanted to be, during that South Africa series and then just went ahead and worked on it and got better.

Have said it earlier but will say it again. His greatest asset is the fact that he wants his team to win so badly, irrespective of what it does to his personal stats and stuff and the fact that as a batsman he is always looking to see how he can give himself the best chance of scoring runs at the rate needed to win the match. He keeps it to that simplistic level and its amazing how that clarity of thought in him as a cricketer, from the very beginning has led to him basically performing miracles - in terms of the improvements he has made in his fitness, in his fielding, in his batting and now hopefully, in his leadership and captaincy.

Mate I wasn't kidding

We'll see how good he is against spin when he's facing up against Fizzy
:laugh: Planning on a poster with Fizzy running with Kohli's head? :p

I agree with the thread title.

But more in a 'stop, stop I'm already dead' kind of fashion.

You spoiled it all. I was just gonna come in here and post the thread title as the post title and say #AlastairCookthoughts.:@

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Ages:

Kane - 26
Kohli - 28
Root - 25
Smith - 27

So if we're looking at batsmen in the age bracket of 25-28, the closest competition to the big 4 are Rahane, Pujara, Bairstow, Tamim, Mominul Haque, Umar Akmal, Barath, Darren Bravo and Chandimal. And maybe Maxwell if you think he could still have a big Test career.

You could make an argument for the two other Indians to join the convo, making it a Super Six instead of a Fab Four. I'd actually like to include Pujara tbh; Rahane still has quite a bit to prove after a bright start.
barath?

sorry have i gone back in time to 2009?