• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, wonderful retort by Howsie. In the style of my ex girlfriend, refuses to concede his point may have been wrong, instead changing the focus to the person pointing it out.

Who would I have in my Test side, as of today - Virat Kohli or Kane Williamson? Kohli. That may change in a year. But it's Kohli now. In most, if not all conditions. I think I can still maintain my NZ citizenship by saying so.

Howsie

International Captain
I created this thread when, August? Virat Kohli at that point had never been a top tier test batsman, he was just an average to above average test batsman. Espeicllay when it came to middle order batsman. I didn't say he was a hack, I didn't say he wouldn't improve, my criticism was all down to him being rated as the best batsman in the world when he had never shown that to be true.

Well done to the guy for scoring some big runs over the last five tests, I'll give him that. But Kohli has always been a machine against poor bowling and making them pay big time, hence his limited overs record. Seven test matches against NZ and England who together don't have a single spinner worth talking about when you need one to compete in these conditions, hmmmmm. I hazard a guess you'd see similar outputs from batsman from England, New Zealand and Australia if they were to play seven home tests against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and probably India themselves.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I created this thread when, August? Virat Kohli at that point had never been a top tier test batsman, he was just an average to above average test batsman. Espeicllay when it came to middle order batsman. I didn't say he was a hack, I didn't say he wouldn't improve, my criticism was all down to him being rated as the best batsman in the world when he had never shown that to be true.

Well done to the guy for scoring some big runs over the last five tests, I'll give him that. But Kohli has always been a machine against poor bowling and making them pay big time, hence his limited overs record. Seven test matches against NZ and England who together don't have a single spinner worth talking about when you need one to compete in these conditions, hmmmmm. I hazard a guess you'd see similar outputs from batsman from England, New Zealand and Australia if they were to play seven home tests against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and probably India themselves.
Explain his 5 tons in Australia and record in South Africa then.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And record against New Zealand on greener surfaces, but India lost both tests.
India did not lose the second test (i.e. the McCullum 300 test), it drew it - ironically thanks to Kohli who scored a ton after the openers were dismissed immediately like a bunch of spuds.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India did not lose the second test (i.e. the McCullum 300 test), it drew it - ironically thanks to Kohli who scored a ton after the openers were dismissed immediately like a bunch of spuds.
Wasn't Kohli out caught in that 2nd innings relatively early on, but the Umpire didn't give him and there was no DRS?

Yes indeed: "Boult to Kohli, no run, there was a loud sound, but Davis and Kohli are both unmoved! That was a clean edge and New Zealand are denied! Terrific deliver from Boult, pitching on a good length and drawing the batsman into the drive. Very loose shot, especially with the ball working angle. And escapes. Great acting from Kohli as he didn't even look back. Just started re-marking his guard. Snicko confirms"

He was on 15 at the time. Big impact on his FCA.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was at the ground with you remember, although you had gone back to work by then? What I didn't tell you was I slipped the ump a fifty so he'd not give Kohli out.

Of course it was a Australian $50, not a NZ one, so it would have maximum impact.

HeathDavisSpeed

I was at the ground with you remember, although you had gone back to work by then? What I didn't tell you was I slipped the ump a fifty so he'd not give Kohli out.

Of course it was a Australian $50, not a NZ one, so it would have maximum impact.
Yeah - I'd gone back to work by then - about 15 minutes after McCullum was dismissed, as I recall.

And of course, the ~$2 extra that an Aussie $50 would be worth these days would make all the difference.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow, I'd missed this & he was talking Tests too. Bit of a slap in the face for Smith. Punter probably feeling uncomfortable that Smith's starting to fashion a record as good, possibly even better than his at the similar stage.
Haha, a bit cynical.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, a bit cynical.
Trying to think of a more rational reason, Smith has clearly been the most prolific Test bat in the last 3 years or so, and just happens to be his countryman. Smacks of Punter almost going out of his way to make that comment imo.

Be different if he was talking across all formats, but seems that was purely Tests.

Last edited:

vcs

I initially thought he meant the best in all formats, but then the article talks about Tests. Maybe Ponting was asked the question in an ambiguous way. In Tests, it's pretty clear that Smith is No. 1 ATM.

OverratedSanity

Trying to think of a more rational reason, Smith has clearly been the most prolific Test bat in the last 3 years or so, and just happens to be his countryman. Smacks of Punter almost going out of his way to make that comment imo.

Be different if he was talking across all formats, but seems that was purely Tests.
Man you are really reaching here

Gnske

Wow, I'd missed this & he was talking Tests too. Bit of a slap in the face for Smith. Punter probably feeling uncomfortable that Smith's starting to fashion a record as good, possibly even better than his at the similar stage.
He's right though