• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Isn't this super series idea looking a bit pointless now?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
I'm not saying it's your fault, just that this toss was more crucial than most.
No it wasn't - England have just outplayed Australia (for the second time in a week)

Isolator

State 12th Man
Not that I'm saying England will win, but right now it seems that a super-series against the up-and-comers (England) would be pretty interesting. Of course, if Australia manage to win this thing (the Ashes), most people's attitudes will change.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
good god, the ashes isnt even over yet. i find it extremely annoying how certain people come up with such absurd conclusions after less than 2 test matches. after the 1st test, it was about flintoff being useless, after 2.5 tests we now already believe that england are the best test team in the world. get over it.
Yeah, right on the money. The behaviour of some people on this forum with regard to the Ashes has just been ridiculous. After one test, England were going to get whitewashed and weren't competitive, and after another test and a half England are the best team in the world and Australia are a pack of overrated hacks. Just calm down for a minute and watch the games.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Actually, speaking of the super series, how many people think this side is good enough to compete with Australia..

Sehwag
Sachin
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Harmison
Akhtar
Murali
Kumble/Pollock/Vettori

howardj

International Coach
honestbharani said:
Actually, speaking of the super series, how many people think this side is good enough to compete with Australia..

Sehwag
Sachin
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Harmison
Akhtar
Murali
Kumble/Pollock/Vettori
That's my team, except the selectors ruined it by inexplicably not picking Sangakarra in the squad of Test players. I had Sangakarra opening with the Wag and Kumble as the last bowler. Otherwise, I agree 100%

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, right on the money. The behaviour of some people on this forum with regard to the Ashes has just been ridiculous. After one test, England were going to get whitewashed and weren't competitive, and after another test and a half England are the best team in the world and Australia are a pack of overrated hacks. Just calm down for a minute and watch the games.
exactly everyone has suddenly written Australia off, i dont know how they could do that after a the last 2 test.....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:

Sehwag
Sachin
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Sangakkara
Harmison
Akhtar
Murali
Kumble/Pollock/Vettori
What about...

Strauss
Trescothick
Vaughan
Bell....

I think you get my point :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I agree, IMO Bond is a better bowler than Akthar. But you can't pick him at the moment - mind you, Akthar hasn't played a Test in a long time either, AFAIK, and IMO shouldn't be picked either.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock is much more likely to be picked than Akhtar anyway. Regardless of what the team should be, it will look something like:

Sehwag
Strauss/Smith
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
Flintoff
McCullum/Boucher
Pollock
Harmison
Kumble/Vettori
Murali

Aside from the three questionable positions, I'd be shocked if it was changed from that. Akhtar for Pollock and Kallis for Lara are also possibilities, but unlikely ones.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag
Tresco
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar/Kallis
Sangakkara
Flintoff
Pollock
Jones
Murali
Vaas/Akhtar

Isolator

State 12th Man
On the basis of the fist test against Zimbabwe, I'd say Bond is pretty rusty right now. He was quite wayward... would've got smashed by a good batting side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Pollock is much more likely to be picked than Akhtar anyway. Regardless of what the team should be, it will look something like:

Sehwag
Strauss/Smith
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
Flintoff
McCullum/Boucher
Pollock
Harmison
Kumble/Vettori
Murali

Aside from the three questionable positions, I'd be shocked if it was changed from that. Akhtar for Pollock and Kallis for Lara are also possibilities, but unlikely ones.
I would more say Kallis for Tendulkar if he is not fit enough by the time the super series comes around & i hope that the selectors of this squad get Sangakkara in the test side dont see the sense in picking those two ahead of him, and now that Bond is back ppl are suggesting he should get into the squad, i would agree if he shows good signs in the coming months.

My teams:

Test:
Sehwag
Smith
Dravid
Tendulkar/Kallis
Lara
Sangakkara (they have to pick him if not i'll go with Boucher)
Flintoff
Pollock
Vettori - I would have him over Kumble but ya never know
Akhtar/Bond/Harmison - All have proved effective againts the Aussies it will be interesting to see who they pick.
Murali

ODI:
Sehwag
Tendulkar/Smith
Lara
Dravid
Inzamam
Sangakkara
Flintoff
Cairns
Pollock
Akhtar/Harmison/Bond