• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this the second biggest choke in WC history?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Legacy of this lives on

This weekend I was involved with "calculating" par scores with weather around (my team were chasing). Didn't really know for sure but always added 1 run onto the par score the app told me because of this
Hero

TheJediBrah

Hard to pretend that the pressure didn't get to Allan Donald that final delivery

I'd call that a choke for sure

Burgey

So what? It wasn't Nawaz (3) who was bowling. This is bizarre. It was a tight match going to the wire. There's a million stories in the naked city of every close sporting contest. It isn't as though they pissed away a dominant position to lose like WI v Aus in 96. They were nine down in the last over, needing nine to win. That's a tough ask in the context of the era they were in. in fact, it probably still is a tough ask even with faster scoring rates these days.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Hard to pretend that the pressure didn't get to Allan Donald that final delivery

I'd call that a choke for sure
doing bad when the pressure is on =/= choking though

to me a choke's when by all accounts you should win and you balls it up from that point - very hard to say anything happening in one ball is a choke

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Kluesener was on strike. He was on 31 off 15
Amazing that a number 8 batsman wàs 31 of 15 and that SA still needed runs to get off the final over ... Ahh Good old Jacques Kallis taking the game deep with a 50 off 100 balls or something...First it was Cullinan who couldn't lay a bat on anything...was tearing my hair out ...How not to chase a total ?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Even the match in the OP wasn’t a choke. In those days chasing down 290 odd even off 60 overs never happened. There were no power plays or exotic fielding restrictions. Even though they got to 170 odd with one wicket down they were never scoring quickly off Roberts, Holding, Garner and Croft. It was always a situation where one wicket falling was going to make it very difficult for the new batsman to get in and score quickly. Viv and Collis King shared the 5th bowler overs. They got after Viv to an extent, but also got out in the process. They were never cruising to victory.

TheJediBrah

Amazing that a number 8 batsman wàs 31 of 15 and that SA still needed runs to get off the final over ... Ahh Good old Jacques Kallis taking the game deep with a 50 off 100 balls or something...First it was Cullinan who couldn't lay a bat on anything...was tearing my hair out ...How not to chase a total ?
Kallis was a legit WOAT ODI batsman. If they insisted on picking him for his bowling he should have been batting 10 in that line-up

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
53 off 92 balls. lol And there are people who call him the greatest cricketer ever.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Do you reckon the 99 WC semi final was a choke? It was a see-sawing game the whole way. They were done in by Warne for the most part.

I suppose Kluesener definitely panicked in the run out - there was never a single there and he still had a ball or two left, but I don't think SA choked overall. If the run out doesn't happen the choker tag goes to Reiffel who not only dropped a regulation catch at long on in the second last over, but tipped it over the ****ing bar for six. Typical Victorian clown. Basically the 20th century Trent Boult, only loads better obviously.
Again demonstrates how misguided all "choke" analyses are. You can't just look at an outcome and call the losing side choker. You could well be choker and win (technically no one won this game). It's what you do that makes you choker or clutch, not what the outcome is.

Last edited: