• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this the second biggest choke in WC history?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bevan's stocks are falling down too. So are of likes of Greg Chappell (I have been trying to revive Abbas' case with some help from others) and no one mentions Greenidge among great ODI batsmen at all apart from me and @Prince EWS . So no, the trend is consistent that older players (batsmen more specifically) are getting retrospectively downgraded in ODI cricket.
maybe their ranking is just falling because each generation brings a whole bunch of new cricketers.

If they were top 10 say 30 years ago it doesn’t mean people downgraded them if they rank them at like 25 now.

Shady Slim

International Coach
No. I was 16 and still in high school and definitely had too much confidence in my definitelies, even the bad ones.

That post was a literal universe ago haha. I am now 28 and have the opposite problem of not bothering to post on most issues because I don’t really agree with the thread options and have to post some painfully nuanced 2000 word essay replying to topics like ‘Bread v Toast’ because I just can’t help myself.

Please leave me alone and just dig up throwing stuff by @Prince EWS around that age again. Evergreen banger.
really hits me to know that 16 yo teja still posted with more logic, clarity, and poise than i do now at 23

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah fair enough but Kallis isn't quite in the same category. He played enough in the post 2003-ish batathon era to beef up his record whereas these other guys didn't.
Kallis' best in ODI came before 2003. He possibly struggled to keep up with increasing scoring rates post that even though he maintained his average. May be that's when you started watching him.

Just checked on statsguru to back this. He got 22 of his 32 MoM awards before 2003 in 185 games, that is one every 8.4 games. Post 2003, he got 10 MoMs in 143 games, one every 14.3 games.

Sorry but you are wrong again.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Dude MOM awards are a horrible measure. I'm not saying you're completely wrong but you're not proving anything that way

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
maybe their ranking is just falling because each generation brings a whole bunch of new cricketers.

If they were top 10 say 30 years ago it doesn’t mean people downgraded them if they rank them at like 25 now.
True but it's disproportionate for batsmen than for bowlers (with exception of legends like Richards or Tendulkar)

TheJediBrah

Ankitj is definitely right about that. Recency bias is batsman-dominated in ODIs because of the changes in the game

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Here's the figures posted (ranking, previous ranking, player, score, highest individual ranking)

1 (1) Viv Richards 666 (1st)
2 (3) Wasim Akram 530 (2nd)
3 (2) Sachin Tendulkar 525 (1st)
4 (5) Glenn McGrath 509 (3rd)
5 (7) Joel Garner 470 (2nd)
6 (24) MS Dhoni 448 (2nd)
7 (46) AB de Villiers 438 (3rd)
8 (6) Michael Bevan 419 (1st)
9 (8) Muttiah Muralitharan 398 (1st)
10 (4) Adam Gilchrist 387 (2nd)
11 (-) Virat Kohli 355 (3rd)
12 (10) Ricky Ponting 343 (3rd)
13 (11) Sanath Jayasuriya 283 (2nd)
14 (9) Shaun Pollock 184 (6th)
15 (13) Kapil Dev 176 (4th)
16 (19) Lance Klusener 171 (9th)
17 (23) Curtly Ambrose 162 (2nd)
18 (12) Brian Lara 159 (1st)
19 (14) Shane Warne 145 (6th)
20 (21) Saqlain Mushtaq 145 (8th)
21 (-) Andrew Flintoff 128 (3rd)
22 (20) Richard Hadlee 127 (8th)
23 (18) Dean Jones 123 (11th)
24 (28) Michael Hussey 120 (5th)
25 (-) Mitchell Starc 119 (6th)
26 (16) Waqar Younis 111 (3rd)
27 (27) Allan Donald 110 (7th)
28 (17) Imran Khan 100 (5th)
29 (44) Shane Watson 89 (4th)
30 (25) Andrew Symonds 79 (6th)
31 (22) Zaheer Abbas 77 (9th)
32 (45) Michael Holding 66 (4th)
33 (40) Malcolm Marshall 61 (5th)
34 (36) Mark Waugh 57 (2nd)
35 (39) Nathan Bracken 56 (1st)
36 (-) Dennis Lillee 56 (4th)
37 (-) Kumar Sangakkara 51 (8th)
38 (30) Brett Lee 49 (13th)
39 (-) Hashim Amla 47 (9th)
40 (35) Saeed Anwar 45 (16th)
41 (15) Jacques Kallis 43 (13th)
42 (33) Shane Bond 42 (7th)
43 (38) Gordon Greenidge 41 (13th)
44 (-) Ian Harvey 40 (2nd)
45 (48) Jonty Rhodes 34 (8th)
46 (49) Chris Gayle 33 (7th)
47 (-) Andy Roberts 30 (7th)
48 (31) Aravinda de Silva 29 (15th)
49 (26) Javed Miandad 29 (15th)
50 (37) Greg Chappell 27 (8th)

Edit - hadn't seen the previous re-ranking post when I posted this, but I've left the "top 50" bit to show how players have moved since last time.
2017 ranking vs. 2011 ranking on CW. See how batsmen from 20th century moved (De Silva, Chappell, Miandad, Greenidge, Abbas etc.) vs how the bowlers moved (Marshall, Holding, Donald, Roberts, Waqar etc.). Leave out bonafide legends near top 10. Batsmen have nearly all moved down. Bowlers are mixed, on average remaining more or less unmoved.

OverratedSanity

2017 ranking vs. 2011 ranking on CW. See how batsmen from 20th century moved (De Silva, Chappell, Miandad, Greenidge, Abbas etc.) vs how the bowlers moved (Marshall, Holding, Donald, Roberts, Waqar etc.). Leave out bonafide legends near top 10. Batsmen have nearly all moved down. Bowlers are mixed, on average remaining more or less unmoved.
Mostly because of the game being progressively more batsman centric isn't it? It's harder and harder for bowlers to stick out so only a rare few like Starc and Bumrah have managed it.

In fact in the two lists, kallis seems to be one of the few who's ranking has plummeted. Others like Dean jones, Mark Waugh, Saeed Anwar, even greenidge have only moved a handful of spots, which is normal as more and more cricketers are added to the mix.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The only team against which Kallis has a SR of above 90 is Netherlands. He smashed it @107 per 100 balls against them. He scored @ SR of 87 against BD and 80 against Kenya. Against some of the better teams, he trundled along. SR of 69 against NZ and Pakistan and 65 against England, 72 against India and Australia. For someone who played until 2013, that is poor.
The weaker teams were not good enough to prevent his runs, so he scored relatively faster against them. Better teams at times did not try to get him out, as that would be detrimental to their chances, with Klusener, Boucher and Pollock warming the bench.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I am of the opinion that you put Kallis in any strong ODI team, he actually weakens it. I hold an opposite view of him in tests.
He played in what was pretty consistently a very strong ODI team and strengthened it considerably, at least until the very tail end of his career.

If you start talking about things like hypothetical ATG teams, ya, he would weaken them badly. It's a bit of a CWism to judge players on how they would sit in ATG teams, which leads to some people believing he was actually poor.

He'd be rubbish for just about every team in the current era if he played a similar way, but I don't think anyone growing up in the current era would bat the same way.

Xuhaib

International Coach
My most fond Kallis memory in loi is his batting winning us the 2009 T20 World championship semifinal. Batted for 50 odd balls and by the time he got out the 7.5 chase had converted to 15 odd leaving to much for the likes of Albie Morkal and Boucher.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Here is the list of players Wisden ranked as the all-time best. The rankinds are based on each performance and various different factors.

TEST BATSMEN:
1.Sir Donald Bradman (Australia)
2.Sachin Tendulkar (India)
3.Sir Vivian Richards (West Indies)
4.Sir Garfield Sobers (West Indies)
5.Alan Border (Australia)
6.Jack Hobbs (England)
7.Ken Barrington (England)
8.Sunil Gavaskar (India)
9.Greg Chappell (Australia)
10.Brian Lara (West Indies)

TEST BOWLERS:
1.Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
2.Sir Richard Hadlee (New Zealand)
3.Sydney Barnes (England)
4.Shane Warne (Australia)
5.Clarrie Grimmett (Australia)
6.Glenn McGrath (Australia)
7.Dennis Lillee (Australia)
8.Malcolm Marshall (West Indies)
9.Imran Khan (Pakistan)
10.Courtney Walsh (West Indies)

ODI BATSMEN:
1.Sir Vivian Richards (West Indies)
2.Sachin Tendulkar (India)
3.Brian Lara (West Indies)
4.Dean Jones (Australia)
5.Michael Bevan (Australia)
6.Sourav Ganguly (India)
7.Mark Waugh (Australia)
8.Zaheer Abbas (Pakistan)
9.Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
10.Saeed Anwar (Pakistan)

ODI BOWLERS:
1.Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
2.Allan Donald (South Africa)
3.Waqar Younis (Pakistan)
4.Glenn McGrath (Australia)
5.Joel Garner (West Indies)
6.Saqlain Mushtaq (Pakistan)
7.Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
8.Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
9.Shane Warne (Australia)
10.Dennis Lillee (Australia)

I personally don't agree with some of the omissions. For example, where is Ambrose? Worse yet....where is Agarkar???:lol:
Guys see what I found. See who is at #9 in ODI batsmen list when Wisden released it in 2002. I don't lie when I tell you guys that Kallis was considered a pretty solid (if not great) ODI batsmen up until 2003 (or little later). Notice how no one on that thread objected to Kallis' ranking. Because that's how he was viewed at the time.

His stocks started falling later in his career when he was found wanting in chasing 435 and 370 odd against Australia, and generally couldn't keep pace with changing ODI game. And about a decade since his retirement, there is further revisionist downgrading. Some of you ****s almost succeeded in gaslighting me into thinking my memory was wrong.