• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this the second biggest choke in WC history?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not every result in a world cup konckout game is a choke. Unless the evidence for choking is beyond any doubt whatsoever (SA in world cups is only such case IMO), best not to speculate it. Pop psychology can make us feel very wise but it is wrong most of the time.

Last edited:

Sunil1z

International Regular
I would also call WI vs IND final in 83 WC a choke . No way should you win by 40 runs by scoring 180 runs in 60 overs against an ATG side.

Xuhaib

International Coach
99 SF is the biggest but this is also lol worthy. 176-1 and losing from there

My dad reckons 70's Pakistan was the most talented Pakistan side he has seen but they were huge chokers aswell.

They competed very well in Aus, Wi, Eng but lost 3-4 winnable tests with last innings collapses. The WC game vs Windies in 75 was even a bigger choke then this. Also the group game vs England before this game was another choke job, had they won that game they would have avoided WI in semis and faced NZl and would have most likely played the final.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

I remember watching that game on the TV, yes I am that old :laughing:

I loved that Pakistan side, particularly the batting with Zaheer who even to this day, is one of my favourite ever players.

Along with Gower and Mark Waugh, Zaheer is the most elegant batsmen I've seen.

Pakistan were cruising and then Zaheer, Majid and Miandad went in quick succession.

Pakistan were a bit mentally fragile at that time and they were until Imran got a proper grip of them.

That late 70s batting with the bowling side of the 90's would have been one hell of a team.

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
2003 World Cup South Africa vs Sri Lanka Match Tied ..
This would be mine

This is the World Cup after 1999 horror show against Australia , we were victims of DLS in 1992 WC , we are the Host nation ..

Match vs Sri Lanka is going down to the wire , rain comes down ..
This is our country, you know Durban is a place where it rains often , it's forecasted in the weather ..

Boucher hits a six off the penultimate ball of the 45th over he pumps the air in delight thinking that we are ahead of DLS . the commentators on television are yelling SA aren't ahead yet they are only level with the par score , he blocks the last ball thinking the job is done based on information given by dressing room.. The rain comes pelting down its game over ..Match Tied

South Africa are eliminated at the Group stage...

To lose to some individual brilliance is one thing but to lose when all the information is at your disposal , in your own country , having been through World Cup brainfades and miscalculations of the highest order in the past ... And you make such an Incompetent error of judgement ...? Absolute circus moment

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
This would be mine

This is the World Cup after 1999 horror show against Australia , we were victims of DLS in 1992 WC , we are the Host nation ..

This is our country, you know Durban is a place where it rains often , it's forecasted in the weather ..

Boucher hits a six off the penultimate ball of the 45th over he pumps the air in delight thinking that we are ahead of DLS . the commentators on television are yelling SA aren't ahead yet they are only level with the par score , he blocks the last ball thinking the job is done based on information given by dressing room.. a b.The rain comes pelting down its game over ..Match Tied

To lose to some individual brilliance is one thing but to lose when all the information is at your disposal , in your own country , having been through World Cup brainfades and miscalculations of the highest order in the past ... And you make such an Incompetent error of judgement ...? Absolute circus moment
That is some crazy ****. It must suck being a SA fan tbh.

DriveClub

International Regular
2011 WC quarter final NZ vs SA. SA somehow managed to choke from 150/3 to 200 chasing 220 odd i think. Not sure about the exact numbers, a choke job not a lot of people remember

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
2011 World Cup group stage match SA vs India , don't get me wrong it's not the second worst choke by any stretch of the imagination...But since this is a choking World Cup thread I reckon I should mention it , I think it's one of the rare chokes where the team batting first messes up big time ...

Sehwag and Sachin absolutely cart the SA bowlers to all parts ...
87 runs off the first 10 overs
India go from 267-1 in 39.3 overs to 296 all out and then proceed to lose the match by 3 wickets , this was no rabbit batting line up ...Sehwag, Tendulkar, Gambhir, Yuvraj , Dhoni , Kohli ...That's like more than 60K ODI runs...
Some Indian fans blame the announcer for playing Waka Waka which turned Dale Steyn into God Mode ?( Steyn had 0/46 in 7 overs and ended up with 5/50 in 9.4 )

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would also call WI vs IND final in 83 WC a choke . No way should you win by 40 runs by scoring 180 runs in 60 overs against an ATG side.
They didn't choke, they were complacent. Which is the opposite of choking.

Burgey

Do you reckon the 99 WC semi final was a choke? It was a see-sawing game the whole way. They were done in by Warne for the most part.

I suppose Kluesener definitely panicked in the run out - there was never a single there and he still had a ball or two left, but I don't think SA choked overall. If the run out doesn't happen the choker tag goes to Reiffel who not only dropped a regulation catch at long on in the second last over, but tipped it over the ****ing bar for six. Typical Victorian clown. Basically the 20th century Trent Boult, only loads better obviously.

TheJediBrah

This would be mine

Boucher hits a six off the penultimate ball of the 45th over he pumps the air in delight thinking that we are ahead of DLS . the commentators on television are yelling SA aren't ahead yet they are only level with the par score , he blocks the last ball thinking the job is done based on information given by dressing room.. The rain comes pelting down its game over ..Match Tied

Legacy of this lives on

This weekend I was involved with "calculating" par scores with weather around (my team were chasing). Didn't really know for sure but always added 1 run onto the par score the app told me because of this

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Do you reckon the 99 WC semi final was a choke? It was a see-sawing game the whole way. I suppose Kluesener definitely panicked in the run out - there was never a single there and he still had a ball or two left, but I don't think SA choked overall. They were done in by Warne for the most part.
Kluesener shouldn't have run. Donald didn't ran. What were they thinking? They should atleast had talked after hitting the boundary. Fleming was bowling, Kluesener was hitting sublimely, there were three balls left, there wasn no need to take a single but they still did.

Classic choke imo.

Last edited:

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Do you reckon the 99 WC semi final was a choke? It was a see-sawing game the whole way. They were done in by Warne for the most part.

I suppose Kluesener definitely panicked in the run out - there was never a single there and he still had a ball or two left, but I don't think SA choked overall. If the run out doesn't happen the choker tag goes to Reiffel who not only dropped a regulation catch at long on in the second last over, but tipped it over the ****ing bar for six. Typical Victorian clown. Basically the 20th century Trent Boult, only loads better obviously.
1 run to win off 3 balls definitely a choke

Burgey

Lol they were nine down. You'd have a far better point if they lost three wickets in the final over or something.