• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravindra Jadeja an ATG test bowler?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you look at Jadeja's record in England, he has picked 27 wickets in 12 test at 43. Except for Kennington Oval where he picked 15 wickets in 3 tests, his record will be even worse. In Australia, he played two tests in Sydney and two in Melbourne. Both slow wickets and he has performed well. It is all down to conditions for him and hence he remains a condition dependent bowler.

Ashwin averages 40+ in Australia because he played in all kinds of venues there.
That's another factor to take into account. Not playing every away game should help the stats because he's getting picked when conditions suit spin the most on these tours, and being left out when they don't. Theoretically at least.

Kirkut

International Regular
He is the James Anderson of spin bowlers minus the longevity with exceptional fielding as an add on.

subshakerz

International Coach
I never said Ash and Jaddu are equal to Murali and Warne. Warne is one of my favorites and I rate Murali very high too. But just because there is a Bradman, it is not as if we don't rate other batsmen. Same should apply here too.

Clarke to Lara comparison applies better for Lyon to Ashwin.
Murali and Warne aren't Bradman. But they were worldclass in most countries which is what you should be if you want to be called an ATG.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
No. Bradman was literally twice the value of a world-class bat. Warne Murali aren't that great.
Wally Hammond played 8 tests after WWII in 1946-1947 at age 43-44. He obviously struggled.

Remove those tests and his stats become-
77 tests, 6883 runs, @ 61.45 average

So Bradman (52 tests) performed about 1.5 times better than Hammond. And the gap would only be narrower in modern cricket.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wally Hammond played 8 tests after WWII in 1946-1947 at age 43-44. He obviously struggled.

Remove those tests and his stats become-
77 tests, 6883 runs, @ 61.45 average

So Bradman (52 tests) performed about 1.5 times better than Hammond. And the gap would only be narrower in modern cricket.
Murali and Warne are still not 1.5x better than other spinners imo.

Socerer 01

International Captain
That's another factor to take into account. Not playing every away game should help the stats because he's getting picked when conditions suit spin the most on these tours, and being left out when they don't. Theoretically at least.
sure this would be the case if he was like Maharaj or for a more extreme eg, Ajaz Patel who dont play when the pitch is a spin graveyard as their sides pick other pacers instead. but that isnt the case for Jadeja, he didnt play every away match because Ashwin was a thing. he was picked in those away matches not because the pitch was turning a mile but because Ashwin was unavailable. idk what it is about Jadeja that makes so many people speculate and make assumptions. if anything him not being a regular pick on sena tours and still having an okay record with sporadic match time makes him better, look at how many times kiwibros say Patel has been hard done by him only being picked in Asia. is it a coincidence that the best sena spinner of this gen and the one some here consider to be the best spinner of this gen is the dude that gets to play nearly every test when fit and available?

@Majestic also fell into the checklist analysis trap, if he had actually bothered to watch that England series he would have known how poor conditions were for spinners in general in that series. Moeen Ali who rolled us over in a test in 2018 was a non factor in that series against our batting lineup that was worse against spin at that point compared to 2018. this **** is why i hate the new checklist analysis trope that this forum has borrowed from reddit, you need to contextualise those stats and its never done every time these discussions pop up even if we have many people who watched these series unlike the 1950 and 1960 era dick measuring contests. @Spark was right, 3 years down the line this forum will start talking about how Rabada had a great series down under last time like the redditors do now and argue that “well he was the one who took those wickets” if you point out how poor he truly was

does this mean Jadeja is an atg test bowler like the title claims? no if your criteria is that the only ones who are atg spinners are Warne, Murali give or take Tiger. some have a more inclusionary criteria that has merits for Jadeja but in every thread there’s a weird opposition to this that i cant wrap my head around on how atg lists should be an objective thing and not the subjective dick swinging contests that they really are

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I distinctly recall Rabada not bowling well in Australia but now in this thread or one of the other threads I am hearing he was great in Australia ..... as people are purely looking at stats... its actually getting ridiculous. Everything is not stats.

Bowling is not an independent thing. You may have been the best bowler and ended up with 1/60 or 2/70. Another bowler such as Rabada may have bowled filth and got 5/60.

Sometimes Srinath would do a lot of the work and Venky Prasad would get all the wickets despite not bowling well. Some other times batsmen would just gift their wickets to Prasad.

So bowling stats can be very misleading, particularly those that reflect just a handful of games (avg in particular series or avg in a particular country).

Therefore Rabada IMO is not even close to being ATG. You watch him bowl and stop reading figures off spreadsheets.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
Cricket is much more conditions dependent than you think. That is the reason why batsmen in 2000s have hefty averages and current batsmen don't. Every batsman and bowler thrive on conditions that they like and play normally on conditions that they don't.
For someone who relies on accuracy with bowl mostly,
sure this would be the case if he was like Maharaj or for a more extreme eg, Ajaz Patel who dont play when the pitch is a spin graveyard as their sides pick other pacers instead. but that isnt the case for Jadeja, he didnt play every away match because Ashwin was a thing. he was picked in those away matches not because the pitch was turning a mile but because Ashwin was unavailable. idk what it is about Jadeja that makes so many people speculate and make assumptions. if anything him not being a regular pick on sena tours and still having an okay record with sporadic match time makes him better, look at how many times kiwibros say Patel has been hard done by him only being picked in Asia. is it a coincidence that the best sena spinner of this gen and the one some here consider to be the best spinner of this gen is the dude that gets to play nearly every test when fit and available?

@Majestic also fell into the checklist analysis trap, if he had actually bothered to watch that England series he would have known how poor conditions were for spinners in general in that series. Moeen Ali who rolled us over in a test in 2018 was a non factor in that series against our batting lineup that was worse against spin at that point compared to 2018. this **** is why i hate the new checklist analysis trope that this forum has borrowed from reddit, you need to contextualise those stats and its never done every time these discussions pop up even if we have many people who watched these series unlike the 1950 and 1960 era dick measuring contests. @Spark was right, 3 years down the line this forum will start talking about how Rabada had a great series down under last time like the redditors do now and argue that “well he was the one who took those wickets” if you point out how poor he truly was

does this mean Jadeja is an atg test bowler like the title claims? no if your criteria is that the only ones who are atg spinners are Warne, Murali give or take Tiger. some have a more inclusionary criteria that has merits for Jadeja but in every thread there’s a weird opposition to this that i cant wrap my head around on how atg lists should be an objective thing and not the subjective dick swinging contests that they really are
Comparing Jadeja with Moeen won't really help us arrive any conclusion. Moeen is bits and pieces and there is no debate there, Jadeja is far ahead as a spinner but that series remains poor for him. I think barring that third test when England seamers got the better of Indian batting, there was decent bit for spinners to atleast end with say, 10 wickets over 4 tests. As I said, he is a bit condition dependent like most spinners are. Nevertheless, he is certainly a world class spinner but won't really put him as ATG bowler.

ATG all rounder? Think he needs a bit more sample away from home for that.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't see how someone can say 'let's contextualise' and then judge a spinner an ATG based on 'okay' away performances.

Common thread for supporters of certain players is to downgrade previously understood criteria for greatness. Back in the day we expected spinners to actually win games to show their chops.