• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravindra Jadeja an ATG test bowler?

Xix2565

International Debutant
But also, sometimes you end up defending 150 because your batting is crap. Look at SA. They've got an arsenal of legitimate quicks on hand and can barely beat time with a stick because their batting is just trash.
On the other hand, look at India or Australia. The batters' form isn't as impactful because the bowlers are consistently good. Or how NZ slid due to no bowling.

Sorry for the "no?".

subshakerz

International Coach
My criteria for atg are as follows:

Sure in for their Countries At XI

On the short list of players for a World AT Xi:

By country:

Aus: Lillee, McGrath, O'Reilly, Warne
WI: Ambrose, Marshall
NZ: Hadlee
Pak: Wasim, Imran
RSA: Steyn, Donald
SL: Murali
Ind: Bumrah (someday)
Eng: Trueman, Barnes, Verity (on the fence)

Apologies to the likes of Garner, Pollocks, Lindwall, Davidson, Laker, Holding, Waqar etc.
Same with me

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the other hand, look at India or Australia. The batters' form isn't as impactful because the bowlers are consistently good. Or how NZ slid due to no bowling.

Sorry for the "no?".
lol don't apologize mate. It's on me for the visceral reaction, not you or anybody else :)

Majestic

U19 Debutant
Will depend on his overseas tours.

His numbers aren't very bad overseas but they aren't good either. The sample is small in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. He needs to increase that sample atleast in Australia and possibly in South Africa too.

But he has found himself getting injured in a couple of South Africa test tours. The one in 2018, he found competition for a spot from Ashwin. In 2021, he would have most likely played but was injured and in last tour again, he had injury in first test and then the next test was absolutely seamer friendly conditions where his role got reduced.

So, the Australia tour will decide his fate. A century in Australia will help his case because his bowling is not at top level like Ashwin or Lyon.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Will depend on his overseas tours.

His numbers aren't very bad overseas but they aren't good either. The sample is small in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. He needs to increase that sample atleast in Australia and possibly in South Africa too.

But he has found himself getting injured in a couple of South Africa test tours. The one in 2018, he found competition for a spot from Ashwin. In 2021, he would have most likely played but was injured and in last tour again, he had injury in first test and then the next test was absolutely seamer friendly conditions where his role got reduced.

So, the Australia tour will decide his fate. A century in Australia will help his case because his bowling is not at top level like Ashwin or Lyon.
Averaging under 30 in Australia unlike a certain Lyon will get you to agree his bowling is at top level?

Majestic

U19 Debutant
Averaging under 30 in Australia unlike a certain Lyon will get you to agree his bowling is at top level?
He has played 4 tests in Australia (2 tours), let him play this tour and if he plays in Gabba and Waca, those numbers are almost impossible to sustain. There is more for spinners in England than Australia and he played one full series there and ended up like 6 wickets in 4 tests.

subshakerz

International Coach
He has played 4 tests in Australia (2 tours), let him play this tour and if he plays in Gabba and Waca, those numbers are almost impossible to sustain. There is more for spinners in England than Australia and he played one full series there and ended up like 6 wickets in 4 tests.
Jadeja not playing full series abroad except for England where he was poor is why I don't rate him.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is without context. You had to watch the 3 series to understand if there was more for spinners in England or Australia.

And on not being impossible to sustain, we'll see that when the tour happens. He and Ashwin are atg because he and Ashwin sustain those numbers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He and Ashwin are atg because he and Ashwin sustain those numbers.
You seem to be making that conclusion in a post about away stats, but Jadeja averages 32 away with the ball and Ashwin 30. Warne's away average is about 25 and Murali's 27. And tha'ts allowing for ach of those blokes sucking in India and Australia respectively.

I rate both the current Indian fellas very highly but those numbers aren't in the same postcode as the other two blokes, if you're wanting to say they're all timers. I mean, come on. It's like saying Michael Clarke's numbers averaging 48 are in the same class as Lara's or Tendulkar's. It's just not on.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
This is without context. You had to watch the 3 series to understand if there was more for spinners in England or Australia.

And on not being impossible to sustain, we'll see that when the tour happens. He and Ashwin are atg because he and Ashwin sustain those numbers.
If you look at Jadeja's record in England, he has picked 27 wickets in 12 test at 43. Except for Kennington Oval where he picked 15 wickets in 3 tests, his record will be even worse. In Australia, he played two tests in Sydney and two in Melbourne. Both slow wickets and he has performed well. It is all down to conditions for him and hence he remains a condition dependent bowler.

Ashwin averages 40+ in Australia because he played in all kinds of venues there.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You seem to be making that conclusion in a post about away stats, but Jadeja averages 32 away with the ball and Ashwin 30. Warne's away average is about 25 and Murali's 27. And tha'ts allowing for ach of those blokes sucking in India and Australia respectively.

I rate both the current Indian fellas very highly but those numbers aren't in the same postcode as the other two blokes, if you're wanting to say they're all timers. I mean, come on. It's like saying Michael Clarke's numbers averaging 48 are in the same class as Lara's or Tendulkar's. It's just not on.
I never said Ash and Jaddu are equal to Murali and Warne. Warne is one of my favorites and I rate Murali very high too. But just because there is a Bradman, it is not as if we don't rate other batsmen. Same should apply here too.

Clarke to Lara comparison applies better for Lyon to Ashwin.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If you look at Jadeja's record in England, he has picked 27 wickets in 12 test at 43. Except for Kennington Oval where he picked 15 wickets in 3 tests, his record will be even worse. In Australia, he played two tests in Sydney and two in Melbourne. Both slow wickets and he has performed well. It is all down to conditions for him and hence he remains a condition dependent bowler.

Ashwin averages 40+ in Australia because he played in all kinds of venues there.
Cricket is much more conditions dependent than you think. That is the reason why batsmen in 2000s have hefty averages and current batsmen don't. Every batsman and bowler thrive on conditions that they like and play normally on conditions that they don't.